• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Difference Between American and English Budgies?

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
th_Picture218-3.jpg Baby Boy Blue is part American budgie..mother American...and father English budgie so he has the beginnings of that big head..plus he is one huge dude..

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
I have an english budgie named Norbert~Thomas....he is awesome. A LOT bigger than my american budgie, Junior. He is very cheerful, active, playful, and chatty, but not as flighty as the american budgie. He is a riot. He's 8 years old and going strong. :)

Both great looking birds!

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
wow! how interesting.... but uh.... color me confused... :huh: i thought budgies were from Australia. American? wouldnt a 'standard' be an Australian budgie? :confused: maybe i just need more coffee. :coffee:

American, English, Aussie... whatever, they're adorable and i've ALWAYS wanted one. :heart:

btw, loonie :coffeescreen: you are SO RIGHT! :lol: and carol, :rofl: funny accent...:hehe:
I just read on Wiki (for what that's worth) that ALL of them are Australian in descent, but the English budgie breeding program purposely encouraged their "growth" for show purposes. And that this happened originally in England.

moonchild

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I normally just call the smaller type "normal" or "pet type" (as opposed to show type), because they are found everywhere. Australia, America, Europe and beyond. Other places also have show-type budgies but I believe they originated in England.

sweetjoe69

Moving in
Real Name
Jose Hufana
The bigger English Budgies are the show quality one, there are English Budgies that's a little bigger than the American budgies and a little smaller than the show quality.

Attachments

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
I currently have both types of budgies, here are a couple of comparison pics. Sorry they aren't the greatest quality, but it's the best i could do. :)

The large green blur in the background of the second pic is honestly the BIGGEST budgie I have ever seen in my life. Out of curiosity i'm going to weigh him tonight to see how much on a behemoth he actually is.

Bonkers

Hit the Road
Real Name
Bonk's Adventure
Can you breed American and English budgies?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I saw my first in person English budgies this weekend. They are super cute.

Bonkers

Hit the Road
Real Name
Bonk's Adventure
Yes Ive done it and have half english
I kind of think Rainbow (see sig) was "Half English" because his temperament was a little different, and he was also pretty much halfway in between an English and a regular.

I miss that guy. :(

Bonkers

Hit the Road
Real Name
Bonk's Adventure
^ Rainbow also had all blue feet, like your Quarter English.

I have been thinking a lot about him today. I want another.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Both of my budgies are 100% English. Murphy is a good size and carries an average weight of 56 gm. This is an old thread from 2013.

Bonkers

Hit the Road
Real Name
Bonk's Adventure
I'm gonna breed mine. Maybe Poukie Bear can help me out.

I already got them trying, should I add that second box?

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I really like the looks of the EB, as much as I like the sound of a budgie with a laid back attitude. The only thing that I find disheartening is hearing that they don't live very long. That is one reason I won't get another Ferret.

I would never think about breeding any bird I got, especially if I had a lot, like say, sixty-one.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Gaining knowledge of genetics and breeding know how is like getting a college degree. It takes many years of experience. It is a pathway fraught with the unexpected and sometimes tragedy. Breeding any bird species is not to be taken lightly.