• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Difference Between American and English Budgies?

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Just curious, as until I came here I never heard of an English Budgie. Advantages? Disadvantages?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Well one is English and one is American!! :lol:

English are usually bigger. They have a larger more protruding kind of head.

English are very FLUFFY and extra adorable! They also tend to be more laid-back and docile. The only downside is that they typically have a shorter lifespan than "normal" budgies. Not always, though.
Sheesh. I guess Whitey forgot to read that book. She's not fluffy but rather sleek and smooth. Until Hal the parrotlet showed up she was queen of the budgies and not to be fooled with. Hal's now the leader of the pack but he does not dare tangle with "her". 77 grams. That's a big budgie but she also has a fatty tumour (benign). She's going to be 14 years old this year even though she's had that tumour for at least 8 years.

You can see how much bigger she is than Scooter who is an American budgie. Sadly he died about 8 months ago around age 5 for no apparent visible reason.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm so sorry about Scooter. Whitey is beautiful! There have been several threads about Budgies lately and reminded me of my first bird, an American. 77 grams is amazing! My GCC is only about 65 :lol:. Thx.

moonchild

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Are you sure she's not just a giant budgie?? English are specifically bred for that "look."

Whatever she is, she's gorgeous though. And she outweighs my English by almost 30g!!

Katy, I've read that English typically have a 5-10 year life expectancy while regular budgies are more like 7-15. But it seems to vary SO much. Genetics and diet must be huge factors.

Last edited:

looniebirds

Jogging around the block
Real Name
melody
I've never has an English one before, but I like the way they look, so dignified!

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
American are smaller and live longer.
English are larger and calmer, but have a shorter lifespan than the American.

Here are some pics to show size difference and such:

960458.jpg _budgvsengbudg1.jpg _budgvsengbudg.jpg English vs. American.jpg enco3.jpg

Last one is an English budgie and a cockatiel.

I personally love the English budgies.

looniebirds

Jogging around the block
Real Name
melody
American are smaller and live longer.
English are larger and calmer, but have a shorter lifespan than the American.

Here are some pics to show size difference and such:

View attachment 155612 View attachment 155611 View attachment 155610 View attachment 155614 View attachment 155613

Last one is an English budgie and a cockatiel.

I personally love the English budgies.

That last picture with the cockatiel!:hehe: It looks like he is saying, "My dear girl, wherever did you get that hat?"

cupoftea

Real Name
Anna
I think both types are so cute! I'd love an English budgie one day, I've only had American ones before.

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Thanks for this thread. I learned a lot.

JudiNH

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
I have an english budgie named Norbert~Thomas....he is awesome. A LOT bigger than my american budgie, Junior. He is very cheerful, active, playful, and chatty, but not as flighty as the american budgie. He is a riot. He's 8 years old and going strong. :)

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I :heart: English Budgies! I'd love to have one some day. Great thread.

tozie12

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
wow! how interesting.... but uh.... color me confused... :huh: i thought budgies were from Australia. American? wouldnt a 'standard' be an Australian budgie? :confused: maybe i just need more coffee. :coffee:

American, English, Aussie... whatever, they're adorable and i've ALWAYS wanted one. :heart:

btw, loonie :coffeescreen: you are SO RIGHT! :lol: and carol, :rofl: funny accent...:hehe:

Yoshi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
Tozie12 - I've wondered the American vs. Aussie designation myself. I've wondered if maybe in Australia they are not allowed to own them due to being local wildlife and so they weren't kept as pets until they were brought to the U.S.? So they are bred in America, not Australia? Maybe?