• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Did i rescue the perfect Amazon??

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Great news Jan. Luka does seem to be settling in just fine. She wanted to do it on her own terms it seems. ;)

AzaleaMist

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
I just wanted to encourage you by telling you I'm still working with my rehomed green cheek conure. Earning his trust little by little. Baby steps, two steps forward, one step back. I've had him since mid 2012.
We don't know what their baggage is or how to help them completely through it. We just love them and show them the bad times are over.

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
You now have a wonderful pet! Lucky you! I think the marijuana high is over with. I used to give my birds hemp seed but after a bad trip (totally unintentional) I stopped doing that. It was supposed to be good for breeders. Too much of a good thing!
Enjoy your baby!
Katherine

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's a great update. If the bird is asking for scritches, you know she/he isn't too terribly miserable. Some previously abused or poorly socialized birds can just have a real thing about hands and stepping up. After you've given her a bunch of time to just build up trust and find some happiness, you might be able to squeeze in some clicker training for stepping up. Or see how she handles it if you just accidentally touch her foot for the smallest moment while giving a scritch and go from there depending of if she jumps or acts like its no big deal. Give it a few months or more unless she's just making super obvious attempts to get on your hand while your giving the requested scritches.

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Hi Jan,
I've been off AA for awhile (life gets hectic and chaotic at times) and just catching up on your thread. Luka is a handsome boy and he is very lucky to have you in his life, and you are lucky to have him in yours.

I'm so glad you rejected the sanctuary idea and went with a bigger cage instead. I truly believe he would be happier with you and the Sennie's instead of a Sanctuary where he might feel the odd man out. Zon's need big cages, the bigger the better. What kind of toys do you have in his cage? My YNA loves soft wood toys that he can whittle down to toothpicks. My hubby doesn't understand how seeing my Max destroy a $30.00 or more toy in just a matter of days makes me so happy. He thinks it's a waste of $, I think it's the best thing ever. If you haven't given your Luka soft wood toys to destroy, I highly recommend it. My flock also enjoys foraging toys....this is how they get their limited amount of seed they love. I make them work for it. Max also enjoys his showers, he would be happy with me holding the garden water wand over him 24/7/365. I try to give him a good soaking at least once a week, and I mist him daily to keep the dust and dander to a minimum and to also keep his feather's in good condition. I also found that when he is being a hormonal, grumpy butt, a shower or misting changes his mood immediately.

To give you some encouragement, I want to tell you a little bit about my Blue Crown Conure Larry. I got Larry Bird in 1993, he had 7 homes in 8 years. I was his 9th home!!!! He was for sure neglected, and I believe abused as well. He was afraid of hands, he was cage bound and he was terrified of everything. I was told he was a mini macaw, which he isn't. As soon as I saw him, I KNEW he needed me. I tried working with him, but he would huddle in the corner on the bottom of his cage and just shake. It broke my heart. Walking by his cage I would have to keep my hands behind my back. He'd scream and shake and visciously bite when I would clean his cage or change out his food and water. I didn't know what to do to help him. He was terrified of toys, he'd just sit on his high perch and do absolutely nothing. I promised him that no matter what, he wasn't going anywhere. He had nothing to fear from me. I would never, ever hurt him, no matter how much he tore me up when servicing his cage. I put a perch on the inside of his cage door, so that when the door was open, the perch was actually on the outside of his cage. When I was home, I would keep his cage door open, giving him the choice to come out or not. I decided to accept him just the way he was. He was going to have stability, healthy food and he wasn't going to have to worry about getting hit, or having his caged banged on or having pot smoke blown in his face, and he sure as hell would never eat pot seeds again (one of his homes was a frat house, a real party house).

Jump to 2016. Larry is still afraid of hands. He no longer bites when I service his cage. 9 out of 10 times when his cage door is open, he will come onto his outside perch and wait for me to offer my forearm (never my hand) which he will step up on. He will allow me to carry him over to his play stand. He likes riding on my shoulder and whispering in my ear and preening my hair. He does not like being petted or getting scritches, but he will allow me to help get rid of the pin feathers on his head, in short preening sessions. He occasionally plays with toys and actually destroys some wood toys. He will never be a cuddlebug, he will probably never ask for head scritches. That's okay with me. He is who he is and I love him to pieces.

Just accept Luka the way he is. Offer him toys, offer to play with him, but let him do everything at his pace. Love him for who he is. YOU be his sanctuary and let him know he is loved and safe. Wishing you two the best.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
You now have a wonderful pet! Lucky you! I think the marijuana high is over with. I used to give my birds hemp seed but after a bad trip (totally unintentional) I stopped doing that. It was supposed to be good for breeders. Too much of a good thing!
I don't understand your post at all. What has marijuana to do with the new cage? and high on hemp seed?

AzaleaMist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
I would guess she meant the effects of him being owned by a drug dealer and smelling like pot and he effects this probably had on his health and well being.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
He is showing he is starting to trust you best baby step ever :dance5::dance5::dance5:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Thanks all for the kind words :) i know now that it was i who was at fault, not Luka! We're doing better now :) and every so so,times he aproaches me, on his own terms :) i settle for that :)
Yay!!!!!!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Love your update! I think you and Luka will in time become fast friends.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Took 5 years to earn Lurches trust and love but we did get there so just keep going at his pace and you'll get there. Not to say there wont be little setbacks and like that but as he grows to really trust you he'll open up more and be much more forgiving of anything he doesn't like, as long as it's you, his chosen one.
Keep working at it, it's obvious he cares for you, he's just working through all his baggage for a while.

Last edited:

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
I GUESS I HAVE BEEN LUCK CATHY MY LITTLE GIRL JAS SETTLED IN GREAT , SHE GETS EXCITED WHEN ANYONE COMES IN SHE IS SUCH A SHOW OFF SINGS WHISLES YELS HI AND HELLO THE LAST 3 WEEKS I HAVE SOME ONE STAYING WITH ME AND IT HAS BEEN A GREAT HELP , CATHY WASNT SURE OF HIM BUT THE OTHER DAY HE FED HER BANANA AND NOW CATHY THINKS HES OK SHE HAS STARTED TO FLY TO HIM HE HAS BEEN CLEANING HER CAGE AND FEEDING HER SHE DISCOVERED SPAGETI AND NOW LOOKS FORWARD TO IT ,,LO SHE CHECKES HER CAGE OUT AFTER HE CLEANS IT , IM NOT SURE IF SHE IS CHECKING IT TO MAKE SURE ITS CLEAN OR TO MAKE SURE HER TOYS ARE STILL THERE .
I HAVE GONE AT HER PACE AND IT SURE PAYS OFF FRIENCHY DIDNT KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN HE CAME TO HELP ME BUT WAS SHOCKED HOW EASY HAVING A PARROT CAGE FREE IS , HE HASNT HAD BIRDS HIM SELF BUT SAID IF ALL BIRDS WERE LIKE HER HE WOULD NEVER OWN A NOTHER DOG OR CAT AGAIN CAUSE SHE HAS SPOILED HIM

IM GLAD YOU HAVE GIVEN YOUR NEW AMAZON A CHANCE TO WIN YOU OVER HE WILL LET YOU KNOW WHEN AND HOW HE WANTS THINGS LET HIM GUID YOU CAUSE HE WILL AMAZONS RULE HA HA AND THERE EASY TO READ ,I FOR ONE AM VERY LUCY BUT SHE IS STILL CAGE BOUND DOSENT PLAY WITH TOYS YET BUT WE HAVE TIME SHE HAS STARTED LEAVING HER CAGE FOR HRS COMMING IN THE OTHER ROOM LANDING ON A LARGE TOY NEAR MY BED , THISIS A START BREAKING HER AWAY FROM HER CAGE

IM SURE YOU WILL END UP WITH FULL TRUST AS YOUR GOING AT HIS PACE AND FINDING A TREET THAT HE REALY LIKES WILL HELP WHEN YOU DO KEEP THAT FOR SPECIAL OCAISIONS BANANA IS CATHYS SHE WILL ONLY EAT IT FROM THE HAND WONT TOUCH IT IF IN HER DISH AO TRY DIFRENT THINGS EVEN A PIECE OF TOAST A PLAIN COOKIE

KEEP UP WHAT EVER YOUR DOOING HUN CAUSE ITS WORKING

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
For reasons unknown to me Luka climbed up his cage, pinning with his eyes, spreading his tail and head feathers, and he's "tjirping" for a lack of better words :) I dare not move, he seems to enjoy himself rather :)

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
For reasons unknown to me Luka climbed up his cage, pinning with his eyes, spreading his tail and head feathers, and he's "tjirping" for a lack of better words :) I dare not move, he seems to enjoy himself rather :)
They always have their reasons. Just need to figure out what it is.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Nah, im okay with it :)
i think its because Celine is on TV.. they know i go crazy! fun times whenever there's Celine :D
And there's your reason!