• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Did i rescue the perfect Amazon??

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
so, a little history for those who dont know yet..

Earlier summer i got myself a little Senegal after "the old one" went back to his former parront, he dearly missed her and she dearly missed him so heh. I got myself a lovely youngster, Kaya, the love of my life! After a while i got her a mate, and they make a perfect couple together! But that quickly turned me into "the parrot guy" which let me to something odd last week!

I was given an Amazon, complete with box and.. Well thats it! The poor thing belonged to a drugsdealer, been on a seed diet only, didnt know anything about fruit and vegetables, and wasnt half as tame as they hoped he'd be.

When he came to me i gave him some seed that i scrambled up from here and there, and left him alone the next two days! Then came Sunday. Since the stench of weed gave me migraines, i decided to put him with cage and all in the shower! And while he wasnt used to it, he just went through it all rather calmly (maybe hes still high?) he will climb up the cage and do his thing, making soft noises and wistle when im out of reach (and i happily wistle back!) and he allows me very close to him, sometimes i can scritch his head, other times he prefers only verbal contact! I also switched him to pellets and vegetables!

All goes rather zmoothly, he eats his pellets, tries some vegetables and even enjoys apple and oranges!

Which makes me wonder, did i rehome the perfect amazon, or is he ill? A vet check is scheduled later this week, i first want to give him some much needed rest! He seems a bit fatty, but that could be due to his diet, otherwise he acts normal, active and seems to have a clear mind (which is more then i can say for myself.. The weedstench still makes me high!)

I have done reading ofcourse, went to talk to a local Amazon breeder, and the general impression i got down here is that Amazons are t the best parrots for newbies like myself! Still.. If this is "the worst" then how do all these stories go round??

I will attach two pictures of Luka, i decided to change his name.. Leave the past behind!

Attachments

Amillio

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
It sounds like you lucked out and got a great bird. I don't own an Amazon never have but their owners will tell you they are the best. I almost got a yellow naped Amazon but went with a second grey instead. I heard the amazons are only bad when it is breeding season. I also heard the males are the worst and it depends on the species of Amazon as well. The type of Amazon you have is not one of the species that I was told is hot tempered. He might just be happy to have a better home.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I never owned a large parrot either! Been babysitting a grey though, lovely fella's :)

I hope some of the more experienced zon owners can help out, i like my new friend, i really want to keep him, im just not sure what to expect :)

Amillio

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
I'm sure some Amazon owners will chime in. They are probably all still at work.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Don't expect bad stories from me. I have two male blue fronts.

I love them.

One is pretty sweet, one is coming around.

The birds are great.....Like us, they often come with baggage. Pick up a suitcase and embark on a journey.

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Maybe still going through the honeymoon phase with you since he hasnt been there long, or grateful to be away from his last situation. He is an orange wing and they are known to be sweet
though. I think the stories you hear are from hormonal Zons and from the so called hot 3, males in particular. Lucy has been very sweet and a joy to have so far, but she is young,
so she hasnt had the hormonal phase yet. But even so I love her and enjoy each new day with her. The size difference from my sennie took getting used to, as Im sure you are
going through the same thing. Glad to see he is eating something besides seed now, Lucy eats just about everything put in front of her. Give him some time, maybe
he is just a sweetie and you'll fall in love with him :)

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
Amazons are the best, go slowly with her/him. Do you know his favorite food?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
How long have you had him? A newly homed parrot does not show its true character until it has become totally familiar and secure with its new environment and people. That is when you will know what kind of bird he is.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Ditto what @JLcribber said. You're definitely in the "honeymoon period", plus your bird may have other issues, like being affected by the weed or other health issues. I hope the bird doesn't have any major health issues! Fingers crossed for you!

Orange winged Amazons are under appreciated by some, as they are not as flashy (to some!) as the ocracephala Amazons. A healthy bird is a beautiful bird, to me. Healthy OWAs have a reputation for being LOUD, but that's a generalization. I have known loud, noisy ones and quiet individuals.

A healthy Amazon will tackle life with gusto. And they are among the most reliable parrots in terms of readable, consistent body language. Pinning eyes, flared tail, raised feathers, and stropping the beak on bars or perches will tell you to watch out. I do not handle my Amazon directly when she's overstimulated. Thanks for saving Luka! Let us know about the vet check & good luck!

noice

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Anna
Dang, Luka must be a strong little boy if he went through all of that :( I admire anyone who rescues birds like Luka (birds that have been in traumatic experiences) not just so they could have a pet, but so they could save a life, essentially. The smell of weed makes me gag, teenagers go into the woods next to my house to smoke it. I hope you and Luka have a great life together, he's in good hands with you :)

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
@aooratrix what do you mean by stropping beak on bars or perch?

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
@Gen120 i dontknow if he even has favorite food besides seeds.. His former owner never had any money so seed was all he got, but truth be told indont know much about him either.. So its just bits and pieces of what i heard!

@JLcribber ive had him since thursday, almost a week now :)

I was thinking about rehoming him, i wasnt really looking for a bird this large yet! But we have this wistle thing.. He likes me hanging around, and when i look in those mickey-blueeyes eyes of him..
I suppose it wouldnt hurt to grow old together :)

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
Keep him if you can, I wasn't looking for a large bird either & Sammy came into my life & she's literally one of my best friends now.. have you given him any veggies/fruit/birdy bread? Is he tame or just semi tame?

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Hes.. Not scared!

Yesterday i could gently touch his beak, but not without some protest! I havent tried anything else yet! I suppose its a good sign he is t scared, but hes not as tame as my senegals either!

parrotluv

Avenue Veteran
Just go at his pace. Not sure if amazons enjoy pets as some others do. He may be the type that just enjoys your company and attention. Hope you are able to keep him considering the life he has come from.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Thanks everyone for the sweet words :) i couldnt ask for a better start with Luka i suppose, and today he kept bowing his head and at first i couldnt figure out if he hurt himself somehow..

How amazed i was.. And a little shaken! I was so sure he'd bite my finger off but i decided to gamble on it :)

Attachments

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Thanks everyone for the sweet words :) i couldnt ask for a better start with Luka i suppose, and today he kept bowing his head and at first i couldnt figure out if he hurt himself somehow..

How amazed i was.. And a little shaken! I was so sure he'd bite my finger off but i decided to gamble on it :)

:dance4:

Yeah how cute. He doesn't seem aggressive so that's a good start. Still go slow as he is new & likely scared & still adjusting to his new home. Give him good food & treats & you will build his trust