1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Darwin Update (Feather Problems)

Discussion in 'Eclectus Alley' started by darwinparrot, 12/5/18.

1. darwinparrot

darwinparrot Meeting neighbors

Jacob
    So Darwin had his 4th birthday in September! He has been full feather since he was a chick with the exception of some chewing on his flight feathers and his tail always being a mess. I always thought the tail thing could be from his high level of activity in his cage. About 4 months ago he developed some tiny bald spots on his face that eventually cleared up. Anyways the last 2 months or so he has lost a ton of feathers around his neck, back, and wing sides leaving his grey down feathers as cover. I'm hoping that he is not plucking and I have yet to catch him. I was told it could be something called a "mojo molt". He is perfectly himself and even seems to becoming less picky with his eating. I'm hoping his beautiful feathers grow back! I've posted before and after photos

Attached Files:

2. Susan in So Cal

Susan in So Cal Walking the driveway

Susan
    Darwin is adorable! My Mowgli used to have a heavy molt. He would look a little rough but his feathers would grow back in beautifully. Darwin looks like he has more feather loss than Mowgli ever did. With a molt, I never saw any bald spots. If I were you, I would keep a close eye on Darwin to see if you notice him aggressively grooming of feather pulling. I would also take him into the vet to be evaluated. Outside of that, I would increase his foraging opportunities, toys and human interaction. How is his diet?

3. Mizzely

Mizzely Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor BINGO CHAMPION

Shawna
    Susan in So Cal likes this.
  4. darwinparrot

Jacob
    So he hasn't been to an actual avian vet before but he was to a bird savy vet in 2017 for a feather cyst on his wing. Apart from that he has never had any real problems. I called the nearest avian vet but they can't see me until a week after the holidays. I have increased the amount of time I spend with him, given him new toys and a cage make over, started giving him more baths, and I have tweaked his diet so there is less that he could be reacting to. Any advice would be appreciated.

Susan in So Cal likes this.
  5. Susan in So Cal

Susan in So Cal Walking the driveway

Susan
    It sounds like the steps you are taking are good ones. Hopefully the vet visit will be productive and give you some answers.

6. darwinparrot

Jacob
    Just wanted to update everyone on Darwin and his plucking. I took him the avian vet and they did bloodwork and it came back normal. They suggested that he might be plucking due to stress. I gauged how he reacts to different things in my house and the only things he really had any reaction to were the dogs and Sweetie my mini macaw. The dogs almost never go near the bird cages and Darwin doesn't even notice them unless they are in his face. Sweetie on the other hand he is stressed by much more. So I put her and my other birds in a different room and within 2 months his feathers have come almost all the way back. He gets regular baths and has a day light on a timer so he gets the proper amount of daylight. He still has some feathers to grow back on his one wing but everything else is back to normal. I'm so relieved. I will post a picture as soon as I take a good one.

7. Flynn

Flynn Meeting neighbors

Yay! He's absolutely adorable. I hope you don't have to run into this issue again, plucking is such a tricky thing. Best of luck!

8. fashionfobie

fashionfobie Sprinting down the street

Natalie
    That is such great news. Yay Darwin!

Poor Sweetie. One of my chickens, Silvermoon, is the stresser in my chicken flock. She is just a dramatic personality. It is so sad because many of the other chickens don't chose to hang out with her. So she is only alienating herself, and they are the same species. Poor Silvermoon.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)