• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mojo Molt in Eclectus Parrots

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
On another group I am on we have been talking about some of the hard molts that Eclectus can go through. A member from that forum posted one of Dean Moser's web sites that shows some pictures of a male going through a hard molt and I thought I would post it so that people who have never experienced this or are new to Ekkies can see what it looks like. We call it a "mojo" molt because it can be so heavy and can throw people for a loop if they've never experienced. Most of the feathers that seem to molt all at once are around the neck and large patches on the head area. This is a normal experience for many Eclectus and while it can be very disturbing, it's really not something to worry about!

Moulting Picts

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I have never seen a molt like that. It was very interesting to see the pictures.

Matt

Noxxie91

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kaylee
Wow, I've never seen/heard of that before! It would be pretty scary if you had an ekky going through that and didn't know what was happening

Ming-Ming

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
WOW! that's crazy! I would be TERRIFIED if i saw that happen!!! Interesting, wonder why they do that??

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
There were some other pictures as well that I will ask if I can share here that were even more dramatic. One of the moderators of the list and a breeder of Eclectus said that it can happen because they are lacking something needed in their diet or because they finally got something in their diet that they really needed. It seems that they have now termed the molting around the neck "Ring Around the Collar" which I thought was kind of cute. Mine do that almost every year!:)

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
According to Carolyn Swicegood, the owner of the Land of Vos website, Lynn Oliver's male Eclectus, Mojo (a Vos I think) was discussed on TEC (the Eclectus Connection email list) when he experienced this major molt in the late 90s. I've tried to find pictures of Mojo himself going through this molt that was named after him, but the links seems to be broken.

LaFitte experienced the ring around the collar molt the year he and Rose raised 3 clutches of chicks about 4-6 months apart. Sully was molting when he came to me last year in June and is molting again now.

It can definitely last 6 months or more.

Kathy

Zeb

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Zeb
Agreed. My female Lady does that around her neck and beak....and it takes forever to go away...

Grammy

Real Name
Pat
We've had our Paco for a little over two years and he's gone through it both years. We call it the January uglies and he does take months to fully molt and then fully refeather. I figure that he spends 6 months being beautiful and 6 months being, uh, aesthetically challenged. He's still a sweetie and my easiest bird. :heart::heart::heart:

http://forums.avianavenue.com/eclectus-alley/43561-pacos-mojo-molt.html

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Im half expecting my Dad's eclectus Hen too soon look like this! It'll be her second moult, and there are just feathers freaking everywhere lately (not plucked!).

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I figure that he spends 6 months being beautiful and 6 months being, uh, aesthetically challenged.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:Aesthetically challenged!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

stephwin

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Stephanie
Is there a certain time of year Ekkies molt? Slimer is looking a little rough around his neck and I'm wondering if it's just a minor mojo molt? He's been scratching the back of his head a little as well.

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
Is there a certain time of year Ekkies molt? Slimer is looking a little rough around his neck and I'm wondering if it's just a minor mojo molt? He's been scratching the back of his head a little as well.
Mine usually begin molting when the daylight hours are getting noticeably longer. Many of them are molting now, but it's not real obvious on all of them.

OldBirdLady1983

Real Name
Pickle
Wasabi is going through his first molt and his molt looks quite normal and no bald patches. I wonder if this Mojo Molt happens later in life? Or maybe diet related?

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Tara seems to be molting...when I got her a month and a half ago she had a few little balding patches near her eyes...she has a few more now as well as on top of her head. I give her a shower daily which she really enjoys...oh, Tara is only two and a half.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

OldBirdLady1983

Real Name
Pickle
Hum well I don't know then why some would have it and some not? Wasabi gets baths daily also and he loves them but the humidity here is so high and it is 100 degrees outside here. I would love to know what causes this and only to some Eclectus it seems to happen and not other parrot species.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Hum well I don't know then why some would have it and some not? Wasabi gets baths daily also and he loves them but the humidity here is so high and it is 100 degrees outside here. I would love to know what causes this and only to some Eclectus it seems to happen and not other parrot species.

It sounds like it's most likely diet related, but I don't know for sure. I've never had a really, really hard molt with any of my guys but they do routinely get the ring around the collar and a few bald spots on their heads.

Momto3boys

Real Name
Brandy
Wow, Ive never seen anything like that! Is it common in the female Ekkies as well ÉÉ

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Wow, Ive never seen anything like that! Is it common in the female Ekkies as well ÉÉ
Yes, it happens equally in the males and the females.

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
Look at Google Images of wild birds molting. There are some crazy looking cardinals among others.

Status
Not open for further replies.