• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Damaged parrott beek

Tompop90

Moving in
Real Name
Tom
Hi all new to the group I have a African grey female who has broken part of her bottom beek due to her going to the top of her cage and banging it she has also twisted it she can still eat ok their is no blood ot tissue damage but slightly concerned any advise welcome thankyou

Attachments

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
The beak will grow back unless the damage is too close to the base of the beak. Beak grows from the base out towards the tip.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
From what I can tell from the pics the bottom beak is too long. The long piece sticking up should be filed down if possible. If you can't then a vet should do it. Their beak is like our fingernails constantly growing. If they don't naturally wear them down they need to be trimmed. Always us caution when trimming or filing as there are blood vessles & nerves in the beak. I'd also suggest toys your bird can chew up & destroy, as they help to keep the beak naturally worn down.

IQ's Human

Strolling the yard
Real Name
CJ
From what I can tell from the pics the bottom beak is too long. The long piece sticking up should be filed down if possible. If you can't then a vet should do it. Their beak is like our fingernails constantly growing. If they don't naturally wear them down they need to be trimmed. Always us caution when trimming or filing as there are blood vessles & nerves in the beak. I'd also suggest toys your bird can chew up & destroy, as they help to keep the beak naturally worn down.
I absolutely agree. My CAG usually had the opposite issue and the upper beak got a tad too long. Most times he would chew some of the harder toys to help get rid of the extra long tip, but on occasion I would just take a fine grain bit of sandpaper or emery board nail file and gently file it down.

Tompop90

Moving in
Real Name
Tom
Hi thank you I have just uploaded a better picture for your thoughts thanks

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi thank you I have just uploaded a better picture for your thoughts thanks
Same as I posted before. The lower beak was too long. The piece sticking up needs filed or trimmed. Parrots not only need their beak for eating & climbing they need it to preen their feathers as well. I suggest you locate an avian vet.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
A vet would be the best so they can take the longer portion away :cool:

Aviphile

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
DeeDee
Hi all new to the group I have a African grey female who has broken part of her bottom beek due to her going to the top of her cage and banging it she has also twisted it she can still eat ok their is no blood ot tissue damage but slightly concerned any advise welcome thankyou
Your bird is trying to break off her beak because it has grown too long. You should be able to safely trim the remaining bottom of her beak level with where she has broken it off. There are a lot of blood vessels and nerves in their beaks so great care is needed when trimming them. Inside the bottom beak if you looked you would see some dots , its look like a line of dots and you would never want to file/trim past those dots. If you are not comfortable handling your bird then I would recommend that you seek out an Avian Veterinarian to trim the beak and check out your bird. Good Luck!

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I think most owners would be better off to have a vet trim the beak. Especially the lower beak.
My boy is very tame but I’m sure he’d find that SO UPSETTING and I’d rather have him be handled by a professional than stress him by trying to do it on my own.
When I first viewed the photos I couldn’t see your birds beak very well, but I agree; it’s overgrown. I would just advise you to let a veterinarian trim it rather than risk hurting and scaring your bird.

Aviphile

Real Name
DeeDee
I took the best picture that I could on the biggest beak in the house. Levi knows what open your beak means and he's very good about it but he did not like camera up in his beak! lol He is a very old man and his beak is really molting, I have been meaning to clean it up for him but its been so hot I have avoided stressing him. If you look you will see what I am talking about I put arrows on the photo to point the dots out. The little dots along the edge of the inside of his beak are called mechanoreceptors.

Mechanoreceptors detect stimuli such as touch, pressure, vibration, and sound from the external and internal environments. They contain primary sensory neurons that respond to changes in mechanical displacement, usually in a localized region at the tip of a sensory dendrite. Mechanoreceptor neurons are often surrounded by complex extracellular structures that couple displacement to the cell membrane, where mechanically activated ion channels create a receptor current. The resulting receptor potential is usually encoded into action potentials by voltage-activated ion channels. Many of these mechanosensory neurons also receive efferent synaptic inputs from the central nervous system that modulate their sensitivity and possibly their dynamic responses.

To my knowledge every bird has them.

IMG_4924.JPG

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I’m pretty sure neurologic receptors are too small to be visible to the naked eye.

Aviphile

Real Name
DeeDee
I’m pretty sure neurologic receptors are too small to be visible to the naked eye.
Really? This is from Susan Orosz, PhD, DVM, Dipl ABVP (Avian), Dipl ECZM (Avian)

These mechanoreceptors are in a perfect position to receive tactile information from the surface during feeding. These corpuscles are highly sensitive to vibration and act together for tactile exploration. They are the most common type of mechanoreceptor in birds. These receptors are capable of discriminating food particles from other material. You can visualize them when trimming the beak of your parrot. As you scrape away the edges of the upper bill you can see on the margins white dots. These are Herbst corpuscles of your bird’s beak.

They are also noticeable on the inside bottom of a parrots beak as well.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Your previous description wasn’t enough for me to tell what or where you were pointing to. But enjoy.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
The corpuscles are not the mechanoreceptors. They are locate at the bottom of the pits in the beak’s margin. The corpuscles themselves are not visible to the naked eye.

Last edited:

Aviphile

Real Name
DeeDee
The corpuscles are not the mechanoreceptors. They are locate at the bottom of the pits in the beak’s margin. The corpuscles themselves are not visible to the naked eye.
AVIAN SKIN MECHANORECEPTOR TYPES: (A) GRANDRY CORPUSCLES (B) MERKEL CELL RECEPTORS (C) MERKEL CELL CORPUSCLE (D) FREE STRETCH RECEPTOR ENDING (E) RUFFINI CORPUSCLE (F) HERBST CORPUSCLE (STURKIE AND WHITTOW, 2000)

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
You’re missing the point.

you can’t see any of those receptors. You can see the pits that hold the receptors, but you can’t see the receptors. Neurons are too small to be visible to the naked eye. You see the pits that hold the concentration of neurons.

Last edited: