• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cross Breeding Parrots. Your Thoughts?

Do you believe cross Breeding is right?

• Yes

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • No

Votes: 39 88.6%

• Total voters

EmilyS

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
I can't say that I know anything about cloning, but I believe I read somewhere that while its unnecessary, a similar species often has a better birth rate than using something else. Example: It's easier to have a yak's embryo to clone a cow than a monkey's embryo to clone a cow.

I'd love to see it happen once the world is back in order. Though I can't see that happening soon, one day I'd love for that to be a possibility. Just like I'd love it if we could bring back the dodo. We can, we just haven't. :/

Callista15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Callista(Cally)
I'm sort of neutral on this. For endangered species, I am against it. I do not like some the congenital defects caused by this. Some species I don't mind. Like caiques. Both species breed together well and often in the wild. But vastly different species, especially those prone to behavior problems(eg. a umbrella cockatoo and a Sulphur crested) I am not so fond of. They could come out easier to live with, for it, but they could also come out with the worst traits of both. It's the reason why I don't crossbreed the chickens I breed. It's hard enough already. Better to breed to another bloodline within the species.

MommieBird

Real Name
Beth
I think the same thing about them as I do about designer dog breeds. People are breeding, not just to make hybrids,but to make flashy new names to attract people. You aren't buying a plain ol' blue and gold macaw, you have a SHAMROCK macaw, etc. There's no real reason for it, no purpose, they aren't breeding for personality or health or any other reason except people like the more exotic and they're supplying that need. It is especially worrisome as I know there are people that encourage the breeding of rarer birds like hyacinths and buffons etc to make hybrids. So yeah, I really view these things much like people who started breeding designer dog breeds. Do you know why we have labradoodles? Puggles? Goldendoodles? Because the names are cute! And people buy cute. The same with hybrids, the names are catchy and new, and the birds are 'rare'.

I agree They arent cute or rare... Just mutts. and destroying breeds and causing other health issues. :wtf:

PrincessLilly

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
sheila
Ya I'm sure they be super duper pretty but what if they have mental issues?
I vote keep each to his own :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
They don't have mental issues :D

Gypsy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
I do not see any reason for people to continue breeding hybrid parrots. Scientists have already proven that it can be done so why are so many others doing it if not for the money? Breeders do it because they know people will pay high prices for something unique. Hybridization of birds is no different than crossing different breeds of dogs to create mutts with fancy new names. If birds cross breed in the wild, that's fine, but they normally don't. Breeders are continuing to do so because there is a market for them. What is the difference between puppy mills and large scale bird breeders? I have yet to see a big bird aviary that provides toys or any type of mental stimulation for their breeders. To make matters worse, many people are not educated enough about the birds' needs and what they are getting themselves into. At some point, the bird will end up being disposed of one way or another creating more problems.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Don't forget that dogs are all one species where-as parrots are different species. In that way, hybridizing parrots is quite different to creating mutts.

Gypsy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
I was thinking more along the line of all the different macaws that have been created when I typed my last reply.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
And macaws are all different species as well. They aren't different breeds of macaws, they are different species. Hybridizing parrots is more akin to breeding an african elephant with an asian elephant, or a lion with a tiger, a polar bear with a grizzly bear.... etc

Breed any dog breeds together and all the offspring should be fertile. Dogs were created by man, and it is believed that they all descended from one species - the gray wolf. Hybridize the different species of macaws and you may come across some infertility. I'm still waiting to hear about 6th+ generation hybrid macaws. There may be some infertility between the hyacinths and Ara macaws, although second generation hybrids have already been produced. It is unclear if some are fertile and others are sterile, or if all are fertile, but it's just harder to produce 2nd generation hybrids?

I do understand the point you are trying to make.... but I don't want anyone to think that there are different breeds of parrots, because there's not! (excluding the English budgerigar and possibly show cockatiels?)

If people think that the different species of parrots are instead different breeds, and equate that to breeding together different breeds of dogs, then they may not understand why it's not a good idea to hybridize different species of parrots.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Hybrids are already in rescues as well...

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
This is very true. Some pure breed dogs have been so dangerously inbred to produce certain looks and to 'preserve' the breed that they are blighted with health issues. pugs are a good example. Their short snouts often cause respiratory issues and there short legs are prone to joint issues. But dogs in general are the most over bred species on the planet all down to human activity. Hard to imagine that some breeds could ever have come from their wolf ancestors.
On the other many registered, AKA purebred, dogs have inbred genetic disorders. Generally speaking a mutt will often have fewer genetic issues and live a longer, healthier life span.

Gypsy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
Lets find homes for the parrots that are in shelters before we even think of breeding what is not natural.
I agree but those in charge have high requirements and many birds have a lot of bad habits the typical pet owner are not prepared to deal with.

KeroRocks

Real Name
Sonia
Cloned animals have all kinds of health problems. The cloned sheep, Dolly,
was born with arthritis and all kinds of health problems. Didn't live long.
Cloning is not perfected yet.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I am afraid hybrids are here to stay, whether you like it or not. Most generally bred presently do not have health issues.

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
I am afraid hybrids are here to stay, whether you like it or not. Most generally bred presently do not have health issues.
That may be, but it doesn't mean we have to encourage it. A lot of what humans do "is here to stay", but we actively discourage it, and even enact laws to make it illegal.