• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Conure Aspirated

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe he went in a bit deeper! Can that be an issue?
Too deep and aiming it the wrong way. 0.1 ml makes more sense. It's actually 2 drops. .05 ml = 1 drop

Mohit Gaur

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mohit Gaur
Too deep and aiming it the wrong way. 0.1 ml makes more sense. It's actually 2 drops. .05 ml = 1 drop
I do know 0.05 ml makes a drop but I was talking about max amount that could be there in syringe, anyway...it was aimed the right way...that's what makes me think what caused it? Aimed towards his crop which is situated on throat end and on his right.. Bird's!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Actually a little deeper is better you must get it behind the tounge and the chloanal slit in the roof of the mouth..., so the medication gets into the crop. Birds are hard to medicate, they squirm, squawk, wiggle,,birdie must be held gently, but firmly, not too firmly to reduce injury. I know your trying, the vet did show you how? Birdie should have a schedule for meds, the vet would have it on the bottle, some are given once a day, some every 12 hours. Write a note with the day and time you give the medicine and follow it through, give as directed, dont stop coz birdie looks or seems to feel better. I hope he will be ok, and I'm glad your there for your friend. Below is how I keep track of medicating,,,its not professional, but it works for me, every time I medicate, I check the box..also make sure birdie continues to eat and drink, some medicine affect that.
20181127_130317.jpg

Mohit Gaur

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mohit Gaur
Actually a little deeper is better you must get it behind the tounge and the chloanal slit in the roof of the mouth..., so the medication gets into the crop. Birds are hard to medicate, they squirm, squawk, wiggle,,birdie must be held gently, but firmly, not too firmly to reduce injury. I know your trying, the vet did show you how? Birdie should have a schedule for meds, the vet would have it on the bottle, some are given once a day, some every 12 hours. Write a note with the day and time you give the medicine and follow it through, give as directed, dont stop coz birdie looks or seems to feel better. I hope he will be ok, and I'm glad your there for your friend. Below is how I keep track of medicating,,,its not professional, but it works for me, every time I medicate, I check the box..also make sure birdie continues to eat and drink, some medicine affect that.
View attachment 290947
Thanks for such a great reply! I had advised him to set reminders and keep a track. He did the same. What is troubling is that I don't know why it happened. Okay he may have went in a bit deeper, but if he was aimed towards the crop only how can it lead to aspiration... Also, how deep ideally a syringe should go in?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I had advised him to set reminders and keep a track. He did the same. What is troubling is that I don't know why it happened. Okay he may have went in a bit deeper, but if he was aimed towards the crop only how can it lead to aspiration... Also, how deep ideally a syringe should go in?
Just behind the tounge, or a centimeter further in on birds left side. I've had them cough and spit it too, imagine the stress of someone, though meaning well, shove a syringe in your throat. Hope birdie will be ok, another note, be calm when doing it, birdie will feel your anxiety. :hug8:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
If your vet is a qualified avian vet I would strongly suggest having the vet administer any and ALL medications for this bird. You are risking the health of this baby and probable death if neither one of you are capable of administering these medications properly. At the very least... take the bird AND the medications and ask the vet to teach you the proper way to give the meds. Aspirating even a small amount can and will cause the baby to die. I know you have good intentions but go one step further and seek the vets help.