• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Conure Aspirated

Mohit Gaur

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mohit Gaur
Thank god he's alive. My friend gave his conure medicine using syringe deep in throat and from his (friends) right side to his left so that meds reach crop and not lungs. Conures one nostril was blocked with some medical problem he was being treated for .medicine again came out of nostril and it was just too much..blocking nose. Thus open mouth breathing. What caused it and what can be done now? Was it aspiration or he breathed at wrongtime again!

Mohit Gaur

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mohit Gaur
Medicine is still rhere in nostrils..being kept warm and n humidifier

Mohit Gaur

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mohit Gaur
He needs to be redosed....and other medicines as well! How to arrange everything!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
If he had aspirated seriously he would be dead or still trying to get the fluids up (coughing as well as a bird can). Is the bird on antibiotics? It would be wise for him to have antibiotics if there is a chance that he aspirated even a tiny bit.

Mohit Gaur

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mohit Gaur
If he had aspirated seriously he would be dead or still trying to get the fluids up (coughing as well as a bird can). Is the bird on antibiotics? It would be wise for him to have antibiotics if there is a chance that he aspirated even a tiny bit.
He's on antibiotics for a bacterial infection! Not dead but he almost had a shrinked body and was just becoming thin, I was there and had no option but to press his chest and give breath using mouth. Now he looks fine...Idk if i did good by giving mouth breath, I cleaned his beak and my mouth....something else to do if i dirtied it?

Mohit Gaur

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mohit Gaur
Also I wanna know what caused it? What's difference between aspiration and lil bit medicine getting into airways? What to do with medicines which are yet to be given....He's a bit calm....playing... Nostrils are a bit wet but clear....and no open mouth breathing now but heavy breathing!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Is your friend putting out an effort to save this bird? He should be ok from both the aspiration and CPR as long as he is now on an antibiotic. If you have a bacteria in your mouth that is resistant to the antibiotic he is on, he will need to go back to the vet for a culture and sensitivity to find out which new antibiotic he may need.

I, of course, can't tell you what caused it without being right there to see what happened as it happened. Full aspiration is when enough fluid goes into the lungs that hey cannot breathe and they suffocate. Partial aspiration is when a small amount of fluid gets into the lung and they are able to clear it or it is not enough to suffocate them. My Jasper gets 9 medications in the morning and six in the evening. The last time she was at the Dr.'s he took an xray and found a small area that was resolving itself where she had aspirated a small amount.

You should give him his meds again, but monitor your friend very closely and correct him when needed. DON'T RUSH IT AND MAKE SURE THE BIRD IS BEING HELD SOLIDLY.

Susan in So Cal

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Also I wanna know what caused it? What's difference between aspiration and lil bit medicine getting into airways? What to do with medicines which are yet to be given....He's a bit calm....playing... Nostrils are a bit wet but clear....and no open mouth breathing now but heavy breathing!
If it were me, and I had given chest compression's and resuscitative breaths, I would take this little guy into a vet ASAP.

Mohit Gaur

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mohit Gaur
Is your friend putting out an effort to save this bird? He should be ok from both the aspiration and CPR as long as he is now on an antibiotic. If you have a bacteria in your mouth that is resistant to the antibiotic he is on, he will need to go back to the vet for a culture and sensitivity to find out which new antibiotic he may need.

I, of course, can't tell you what caused it without being right there to see what happened as it happened. Full aspiration is when enough fluid goes into the lungs that hey cannot breathe and they suffocate. Partial aspiration is when a small amount of fluid gets into the lung and they are able to clear it or it is not enough to suffocate them. My Jasper gets 9 medications in the morning and six in the evening. The last time she was at the Dr.'s he took an xray and found a small area that was resolving itself where she had aspirated a small amount.

You should give him his meds again, but monitor your friend very closely and correct him when needed. DON'T RUSH IT AND MAKE SURE THE BIRD IS BEING HELD SOLIDLY.
He's also trying his best to be honest. He's on Cefpodoxime and Terbifine for a chlamydial stain (little, underlying) and an eye infection which is almost gone. It was just 1 ml of medicine but 2-3 doses were given in morning too! Can that be a cause? Medicines given earlier? Also...Did i do a bad thing by giving him breath using mouth?

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can only second @Hankmacaw . This is beyond what we can give advice on via internet. Please discuss these concerns with the vet prescribing the medications.

Mohit Gaur

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mohit Gaur
I can only second @Hankmacaw . This is beyond what we can give advice on via internet. Please discuss these concerns with the vet prescribing the medications.
It's 12:50 AM here, vet helped in dealing with that situation of extreme emergency! Can 1 ml of medicine cause extreme aspiration? The guy made sure in front of my eyes that it goes in bird's crop!

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
You might ask the vet if the medication can be compounded at a higher concentration for a smaller volume of liquid.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You/your friend need to write down the dosages and check and recheck how much you are giving the bird. You need to make sure the bird is being held correctly and that the only the syringe tip is placed in the mouth on the left side (bird's left) and aim to the back of the right side. One does not have to put the syringe tip deep into the mouth. I really hope this little bird will be OK. Don't rush giving the medications. Take time and confirm that everything is being done correctly.

Mohit Gaur

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mohit Gaur
You/your friend need to write down the dosages and check and recheck how much you are giving the bird. You need to make sure the bird is being held correctly and that the only the syringe tip is placed in the mouth on the left side (bird's left) and aim to the back of the right side. One does not have to put the syringe tip deep into the mouth. I really hope this little bird will be OK. Don't rush giving the medications. Take time and confirm that everything is being done correctly.
Maybe he went in a bit deeper! Can that be an issue?