• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Considering getting a companion bird

xgreenbudgiex

Walking the driveway
I have been thinking a lot lately, and decided I might nearly be ready to bring home a companion parrot!

The species I have in mind are Indian ringnecks.

When I was 7 years old I began to take interest in birds, and begged and begged my parents to let my get one as a pet.
My parents were bird haters.
The closest I came was when I was about 10, I kept a goldfinch that I found with a broken leg, he lasted a few weeks in a mouse cage before I let him go when he was better.

And now, 8 years later, I have my own flock of various species out in the garden :D
My parents don't mind them, and to be honest I think my mum quite likes my finches, she finds their noises adorable :joyful:

My first bird was "Larry", a retired breeding budgie I was given for free when I bought a cage from a breeder down here. He passed away earlier this year, not long before I finished building my aviary, from a garden shed. All the birds in my siggy are currently members of my flock :)

This site has really helped me learn about different species, and how to care for them. I find there are lots of people who have plenty of advice, and experience with different species.

I am currently looking for a job, and, maybe in the next year or so when I have a bit more money I will bring home a companion :rolleyes:

Indian ringnecks seem so perfect for me;
They aren't too big, they have a diet I can afford, and I am just in love with their playful nature :heart:

I'd be grateful for any advice all you wonderful people have to offer :)

Andrea Arce

Sitting on the front steps
Personally, I don't recommend Indian Ringnecks for your first parrot. Have you looked into green cheeks or sun conures? Sun conures are just extremely loud but are generally friendly.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The one piece of advice I can give you is to get the bird you want, not the bird someone else says you should have.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Get your ring neck , they are such elegant birds. :fairy:

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Personally, I don't recommend Indian Ringnecks for your first parrot. Have you looked into green cheeks or sun conures? Sun conures are just extremely loud but are generally friendly.
My first bird was an IRN and I would never consider owning a sun conure so we don't agree there. Nothing against your opinion but wanted to mention my experiences.

@xgreenbudgiex I agree with @Hankmacaw to get the bird you want. IRNs have an interesting personality and there's this idea they don't make good pets but I wouldn't agree there. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Seeing as they're potentially a 30 year commitment I wouldn't just settle on something. My IRN fits in the good at flying and not cuddly category. She likes to be around me and occasionally on me but that's the extent of it. She's very food motivated. I'm very attached to my IRN personally but she's not as affectionate as my cockatiel.

If a bird could classify as vain, that would be my IRN. She is very prissy and elegant about about her tail feathers.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Its good you are willing to wait. Bringing home a bird is not something to rush into so it's awesome you are doing your research. :)

Is there anyway for you to get some hand on experience? It would be awesome if there was a rescue near you

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I can only say from my experience, Kiwi is not cuddly or playful bird. She is independent, very prissy, wants me when SHE wants me and a lot of times she simply wants to spend a few minutes showing me what she has learned and then thats enough for her. These are not negative things, I love her personality and her little voice when she talks but man O man can she get loud. Its not like she is calling me to get her....its like, hey look at me, don't leave the room....look at me. She wants me to come over and stand by her on her cage top and talk (she really loves when I wear glasses). All this is unlike my GCC who wants to be with me 100% of the time. I have to give props to Nelson (GCC) though....he is one of the smartest birds I have ever had.

xgreenbudgiex

Walking the driveway
The one piece of advice I can give you is to get the bird you want, not the bird someone else says you should have.
Thank you for this advice, I don't agree with the idea of "Starter birds"

I am very excited!!! Though I am willing to wait :)

Its good you are willing to wait. Bringing home a bird is not something to rush into so it's awesome you are doing your research. :)

Is there anyway for you to get some hand on experience? It would be awesome if there was a rescue near you
There is an animal rescue, i'm quite keen to go out there sometime and see if they have any birds :)

I can only say from my experience, Kiwi is not cuddly or playful bird. She is independent, very prissy, wants me when SHE wants me and a lot of times she simply wants to spend a few minutes showing me what she has learned and then thats enough for her. These are not negative things, I love her personality and her little voice when she talks but man O man can she get loud. Its not like she is calling me to get her....its like, hey look at me, don't leave the room....look at me. She wants me to come over and stand by her on her cage top and talk (she really loves when I wear glasses). All this is unlike my GCC who wants to be with me 100% of the time. I have to give props to Nelson (GCC) though....he is one of the smartest birds I have ever had.
Kiwi sounds perfect :D
I just love the cute little noises they make!
And fortunately i'm not someone who is irritated by loud noises, so screaming isn't a problem for me :roflmao:

xgreenbudgiex

Walking the driveway
I have looked into sun conures, but they just don't spark the same interest as IRNs.
I'm already in love with IRNs, theres no stopping me now :D
Thanks for the reply, though!

xgreenbudgiex

Walking the driveway
Oh and I also forgot to mention I am homeschooled, so by the time I do get my bird I would probably still be schooling, so I am home a lot, but I will be getting a part time job.
I am also planning to stick around for a while, I'm not planning on leaving anytime soon, but when I do, has anyone got any tips on how to live with a bird?

I just thought I should also let you guys know we do have two large dogs and a cat, the dogs live outside, but the cat is inside sometimes, although he is quite a wimp and I cannot imagine him going for anything as large as an IRN :hehe:

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Oh and I also forgot to mention I am homeschooled, so by the time I do get my bird I would probably still be schooling, so I am home a lot, but I will be getting a part time job.
I am also planning to stick around for a while, I'm not planning on leaving anytime soon, but when I do, has anyone got any tips on how to live with a bird?

I just thought I should also let you guys know we do have two large dogs and a cat, the dogs live outside, but the cat is inside sometimes, although he is quite a wimp and I cannot imagine him going for anything as large as an IRN :hehe:
Just keep the cat and dogs away from physical contact with the bird and it'll be fine. I got my birds while I was in college. I've never had a roommate and found an apartment that didn't charge an obscene amount to allow pets. I got lucky, not everyone has this luxury.

I stuck to a routine and consumed an obscene amount of caffeine to stay awake morning and night as needed. I socialized with friends very late when I did got out usually (as in 10pm to 3am). If you enjoy sleep or don't have financial backing I'd wait until you're done with college. Working while I was at Community College wasn't very difficult, it's different in a university. If you're not academically inclined then it will likely be harder. If you're parents are okay as being the back-up home and funding for vet emergencies then it's all up to you what you want to do.

Edit: Teaching how to forage and spending that extra time each day to set up foraging toys really helps but it's not the solution to spending one-on-one time with your bird.

Last edited:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Realize that we had an IRN in our lives for 26 years, so I'm prejudged here. IRNs are great birds, and have gotten a general bad rap for years. I chalk that up to their independent, non-cuddly nature. Some people don't like those qualities in a bird.
Titan was a smart, friendly, happy bird...with the two aforementioned qualities. No touching allowed, but he'd hang out with you all day if he had the mind to. Some days, he'd chew on shredables and ring his bells all day.
He was the perfect "birdie ambassador", making countless visits and making numerous friends along the way. He wasn't overly loud, and a great eater.
If a bird could classify as vain, that would be my IRN. She is very prissy and elegant about about her tail feathers.
Titan was the exact same way...I always said that if a bird could show vanity, IRNs could show it with their tails. ;)

He had a favorite person...my BIL. He'd follow him around, like a 4 inch high green shadow.

I am very excited!!! Though I am willing to wait :)
When the time is right...go for it...:irn:

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
I have been thinking a lot lately, and decided I might nearly be ready to bring home a companion parrot!

The species I have in mind are Indian ringnecks.

When I was 7 years old I began to take interest in birds, and begged and begged my parents to let my get one as a pet.
My parents were bird haters.
The closest I came was when I was about 10, I kept a goldfinch that I found with a broken leg, he lasted a few weeks in a mouse cage before I let him go when he was better.

And now, 8 years later, I have my own flock of various species out in the garden :D
My parents don't mind them, and to be honest I think my mum quite likes my finches, she finds their noises adorable :joyful:

My first bird was "Larry", a retired breeding budgie I was given for free when I bought a cage from a breeder down here. He passed away earlier this year, not long before I finished building my aviary, from a garden shed. All the birds in my siggy are currently members of my flock :)

This site has really helped me learn about different species, and how to care for them. I find there are lots of people who have plenty of advice, and experience with different species.

I am currently looking for a job, and, maybe in the next year or so when I have a bit more money I will bring home a companion :rolleyes:

Indian ringnecks seem so perfect for me;
They aren't too big, they have a diet I can afford, and I am just in love with their playful nature :heart:

I'd be grateful for any advice all you wonderful people have to offer :)
Welcome! Usually we wouldn't recommend a companion bird for somebody as young as you but you have experience so that helps. The main concern with young people getting parrots is that your life is not settled into adult mode and you might

-Go away to college (they won't allow your parrot in the dorm)
-Run into harsh financial times in your late teens or early twenties
-Have sudden life changes

All these things are normal for a young person, but they can make providing a stable life for a parrot difficult. I would say that, if your parents are ok with taking some responsiblity for the parrot and are willing to watch him while you are at university or whatever may happen, and you guys all become a flock (in other words, the bird would be a family bird, not just yours) then I think things will be ok.

Most people prefer a cuddly shoulder bird to a bird that is more stand offish like an IRN. I think you should do research on all the different species that are available and their different qualities. No particular parrot (except for some that have specialized diets like some lorikeets) has an especially more expensive diet than any other. Pellets, seeds as treats, fruit and veg, nuts, etc. The larger the bird the more food it will consume, of course.

I did years of research in my early 20s about parrots and I settled on a senegal parrot when I was 24. I bought some books and did reading and by 26 I was ready to adopt one, and I got George, who has become my best friend and I consider him my son. I love him like a human child and I can't imagine what I would do if something happened to him.

Parrots live a long time. Depending on the bird you get, you could still have this bird when you are 70 or 80++ years old, and may even need to make space in your will for the bird and find somebody you trust to take him after you are no longer able to care for him in your old age. This was one of the factors in my choosing a bird that lives for 4 decades or so rather than 8 or more.

There are no starter birds. Get the bird you really want, but make sure you are truly ready for this. Parrots want to be with you all the time and they get upset when they can't be. Your social life, wake/sleep schedule, and general freedom to do what you want will be altered, possibly for the rest of your life.

If you aren't ready to have a toddler, you aren't ready to have a parrot. :)

Andrea Arce

Sitting on the front steps
Welcome! Usually we wouldn't recommend a companion bird for somebody as young as you but you have experience so that helps. The main concern with young people getting parrots is that your life is not settled into adult mode and you might

All these things are normal for a young person, but they can make providing a stable life for a parrot difficult. I would say that, if your parents are ok with taking some responsiblity for the parrot and are willing to watch him while you are at university or whatever may happen, and you guys all become a flock (in other words, the bird would be a family bird, not just yours) then I think things will be ok.

Most people prefer a cuddly shoulder bird to a bird that is more stand offish like an IRN. I think you should do research on all the different species that are available and their different qualities. No particular parrot (except for some that have specialized diets like some lorikeets) has an especially more expensive diet than any other. Pellets, seeds as treats, fruit and veg, nuts, etc. The larger the bird the more food it will consume, of course.

I did years of research in my early 20s about parrots and I settled on a senegal parrot when I was 24. I bought some books and did reading and by 26 I was ready to adopt one, and I got George, who has become my best friend and I consider him my son. I love him like a human child and I can't imagine what I would do if something happened to him.

Parrots live a long time. Depending on the bird you get, you could still have this bird when you are 70 or 80++ years old, and may even need to make space in your will for the bird and find somebody you trust to take him after you are no longer able to care for him in your old age. This was one of the factors in my choosing a bird that lives for 4 decades or so rather than 8 or more.

There are no starter birds. Get the bird you really want, but make sure you are truly ready for this. Parrots want to be with you all the time and they get upset when they can't be. Your social life, wake/sleep schedule, and general freedom to do what you want will be altered, possibly for the rest of your life.

Totally agree.

I am in college as well and have 3 dogs as well. To many people's fearful surprise I have a Rottweiler and 2 shih tzu mixes. They are all inside dogs. Thankfully, the Rottweiler and one of the small ones are senior dogs and quite honestly just don't care for my bird. They don't even bat an eye when she gets startled, screams, or takes flight. My younger one is very curious about her but doesn't get close as HE is the scared one, lol! My bird will sometimes walk to him and he immediately retreats. This has been the norm for the past 3 years but I am still extremely cautious. My bird is a family bird s I encourage you to get the entire family involved in taking care and playing with yours. Although my bird is extremely obsessed with me and super clingy and demanding, she is still friendly to the rest of my family members, especially my parents. So in case I have to leave and can't take care of her for any reason, my bird will still have my parents to take care of her. Good luck, I am excited for you to get a bird!

Harleyandme

Sprinting down the street
Oh you're from New Zealand? Finally, someone! :hehe:
I think an Indian Ringneck is great if you research LOTS! They are loud, messy and demanding (what bird isn't?). I think cockatiels are great first parrots, but as some have said in the forum, go with what bird you like. RN's are sweet and loveable and colourful! I love them to bits! It's so exciting to get your first parrot. Hope you find the right one and that you have a great relationship. What colour IRN would you get?

xgreenbudgiex

Walking the driveway
Oh you're from New Zealand? Finally, someone! :hehe:
I think an Indian Ringneck is great if you research LOTS! They are loud, messy and demanding (what bird isn't?). I think cockatiels are great first parrots, but as some have said in the forum, go with what bird you like. RN's are sweet and loveable and colourful! I love them to bits! It's so exciting to get your first parrot. Hope you find the right one and that you have a great relationship. What colour IRN would you get?
Yeah I have looked into cockatiels, but like I'm just not sure about the dust...

I'm not really fussed about the colour, although I do like green and blue..... :rolleyes:

Yeah I'm in the south island, there happen to be a few IRN breeders not far from where I live :laugh:

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
Yeah I have looked into cockatiels, but like I'm just not sure about the dust...

I'm not really fussed about the colour, although I do like green and blue..... :rolleyes:

Yeah I'm in the south island, there happen to be a few IRN breeders not far from where I live :laugh:
Senegals like the bird in my avatar and sig, who is my best friend named George, and is like my son, are great companion birds and I never see them get recommended here for some reason. They can scream but they are generally more of a quiet whistling type of bird and they are very funny and very adorable. Smart as a whip too. They are larger than a cockatiel. Sort of quaker-ish sized. There are yellow breasted and orange breasted senegals.

xgreenbudgiex

Walking the driveway
Senegals like the bird in my avatar and sig, who is my best friend named George, and is like my son, are great companion birds and I never see them get recommended here for some reason. They can scream but they are generally more of a quiet whistling type of bird and they are very funny and very adorable. Smart as a whip too. They are larger than a cockatiel. Sort of quaker-ish sized. There are yellow breasted and orange breasted senegals.
They sound great, but there just don't seem to be many different species where I live.
Pretty much more common birds like cockatiels, budgies, macaws, IRNs, and the occasional sun conure...
And once I decide something theres no going back :hehe: :roflmao:

NandayLover

Walking the driveway

I'm young and I have 5 Conures so I disagree. But my parents have agreed to look after them when I move out until I'm settled in so that helps

xgreenbudgiex

Walking the driveway
I'm young and I have 5 Conures so I disagree. But my parents have agreed to look after them when I move out until I'm settled in so that helps
How do you find the noise?
And do you find it difficult to go out at times and leave them all at home?