• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Considering a pionus ... or Meyer...or Indian Ringneck

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
My Meyer's was not "loud," although she had her moments. She was aloof with strangers, but very warm with me. She wasn't aggressive with strangers, and would actually go to other men. (I'm a guy.) I love Meyer's.

Good luck.

Ella.pi

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Well, if it helps, my experience with my pionus guys some them up like this:

- standoffish with strangers so not social butterflies but not one person birds either. They love my husband, myself and they like members of my family that they get to see often enough so I 'd say they're pretty good family birds. I do have one that tolerates kids but doesn't like them, the other is fine with them. Mine get along well enough with other birds to, I can have the 3 of them on me without much fuss even though they don't interact with my conure much. They all respect each other and after a little positive reinforcement, rarely get jealous of each other now. That did take some time and training when Falcon arrived mind you.

-females aren't known to be agressive, males are more prone to be at times as they can get moody, territorial and possessive. That being said, my guys aren't agressive or hard to handle. (Apache, my only adult, has some triggers but very rarely escalates to agression. They are extremely easy too read so that helps and if he is triggered, it's never bad. He calms down 5min later as if nothing has happened.)

- I wouldn't say they are as playful as many other species.

- They are very, very quiet. Younger, Apache used to compete with loud things like the vacuum cleaner or the shower would always set him off for some reason... but he doesn't even do that anymore. All parrots can be noisy at times but I definitely think that most pionus parrots are one of the best birds you can live with noise wise. That's the main reason I chose them when I lived in an attached house with neighbours that were not noise tolerant. They were perfect and are even quieter now. They don't even sound off at morning and evening like most parrots.

-They are very receptive to training and forgiving. While Apache very badly freaks out when i have to towel him and trim his beak, (it overgrows because of past trauma) it's as if nothing has happened the next day. He's amazing for that. Once he trusts you, he will forgive you anything.

- I think that characters greatly vary depending on the individual. Apache and Falcon are opposites. One is pretty outgoing, alpha birdy, not to nervous and enjoys scratches and will let me touch him everywhere... but the other is very shy and won't let me touch him although he's been with us a year. He scares easily to. He's coming out of his shell as he's growing but I can't see him loving contact down the road.

- They are not really cuddly parrots although they can be very attached to you. Falcon is very independent and Apache can be to but he loves following us around and joining in whatever we're doing. He will fly upstairs to my bedroom every morning to cuddle in bed with me. :xflove:

- They are not destructive parrots (on a parrot scale) so incredibly easy to live with. They don't get in trouble like my Conure regularly does so they don't need constant supervision. I find them very relaxing to be around.

I tend to say that they're easy parrots but then again they are still parrots! none of them are easy pets. ;) Keep in mind this is just my experience with my guys, i'm not speaking for all pionus parrots.

Ella.pi

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Thinking back on the family members thing... when I said Apache doesn't much like kids... I mean he attacked them on sight for a long time. He's flighted to so yeah... I always focus on the positive so I focus on the fact the he responded well to training and doesn't do that anymore but i'm still very careful. I don't trust him alone with them, I know they could easily trigger him. Why do I still think he makes a good family bird and he's not really agressive? :rofl: maybe I am way more tolerant than most people. In his defence, he only bit like 6 times in his whole life and has never drawn blood.

Just thought I would add that so you can take my opinion on them with a grain of salt. :p

Last edited:

Fritzgerald16

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
Cockatiel for sure! I had one through my childhood and he was the sweetest thing, could say "hello" "pretty bird" and whistled about 4 songs accurately (whistled other things but we were never sure what he was actually singing lol)
I currently have a parakeet who has shocked me with his vocabulary, my little Sky can say quite a bit like "give kiss *kissy noise*" "whatcha doing" "step up, step up pretty girl" "who's the cutest baby" and so on, it's quite fascinating. Don't let size fool you, I have a macaw who does not speak at all or whistle any songs, he just makes various croaking noises.
Also you want to take into consideration beak sizes. Bigger beaks=bigger bites and with little fingers a medium sized beak can do quite a bit of damage.

Wannabird2003

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen Z
There is a parakeet on You Tube that is a tremendous talker and fun to watch. He has a ton of videos and I have to watch frequently. Check out Disco the Parakeet and be amazed.

Ncphillips2

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nicole Phillips
I know it's been a while, but I thought I would update you. After taking all your info into consideration, I found a highly recommended parrot store in our (adjacent) area. The owner was incredibly helpful and took lots of time to listen to my wants/concerns. It was nice because she had a nice variety available in the store so I got a better feel for what each was really like. After a few months of debate, I finally fell in love with a Plum Headed Parakeet she had. She had suggested a cockatiel as well, but the dust was a real issue. It wouldn't work with my husband's allergies. She also had a sweet, lovely cinnamon conure that she suggested, but I was scared to travel down that road again.

Ultimately, we decided on the Plummie. She came home a few days ago and the kids named her Pickles. I think she's going to be a nice fit for us. She's sweet and gentle. Enjoys our company, but is much more independent than our previous GCC. Also, she doesn't really like to be petted and cuddled (which I understand is typical). While I will potentially miss that, it works well with my daughter who loves being around the birds, but doesn't want to hold them or have them on her. Since the bird is primarily hers, its a good solution.

I really appreciate all the help and advice I got her - it made all the difference.

Attachments

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Congratulations. What a cutie.