• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Considering a pionus ... or Meyer...or Indian Ringneck

Ncphillips2

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nicole Phillips
First of, I'm TOTALLY new here, so bear with me. I'm just beginning my research (again) into a little feathered friend. I say again because we just recently lost our little Green Cheek Conure, Bazil. He was my five year old daughter's very best friend and she's just devastated over it. As we all are. I'm just now starting to consider getting another, but this time I'm going slower and doing WAY more research!

Like I said, I loved my little Bazil, but he drove me up the wall with the screeching....and my husband was going crazy with it too. Who knew such a small little thing could be so LOUD? ALL. THE. TIME. I honestly don't mind some noise, but I'm convinced conures aren't the right fit for us. No matter how funny they are.

I'm considering a Pious or a Meyer, but I have a few questions/concerns. I know we're speaking in generalities here, and every bird will be different, but for the most part, I'm worried that the Pionus will be TOO laid back, and that the Meyer will be standoffish. This will be very much a family bird, but I'll be the main caretaker. However, it would be very hard to have a bird who dislikes certain family members. So, it needs to be

-Reasonably quiet (I know that's relative, but not one who will scream about anything and everything)

- Good with several people

- Smaller in size

-Playful but not aggressive.

Oh, and about that Indian Ringneck. It wasn't one on my list but I've fallen in love with one at a local pet store. It was a total accident, but now I'm somewhat obsessed with him. He's such a laid back says sweetie and quite clever, but I worry about him being a single person bird, and also I'm a little out off by the pet store price. They seem to be asking more than double what a breeder would.

So that's a ton of info..... anyone have any advice/suggestions? I would greatly appreciate it.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
-Reasonably quiet (I know that's relative, but not one who will scream about anything and everything)

- Good with several people

- Smaller in size

-Playful but not aggressive.
A fast answer is that that is not a Pionus. A tiel perhaps? :)

Ncphillips2

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nicole Phillips
Fair enough. I have had several people steer me in the direction of a Pionus for their "quietness". I assume you're not of the same opinion? You obviously know what you're talking about

Laylatoo

Jogging around the block
Mayor of the Avenue
My new Meyers has quickly turned into a one person bird. She’s a dream with me but has no desire to get to know anyone except myself. My vote would also be a cockatiel. They have such mellow personalities and tend to like more than one person when well socialized.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Fair enough. I have had several people steer me in the direction of a Pionus for their "quietness". I assume you're not of the same opinion? You obviously know what you're talking about
None of my Pionus has been silent and good with several people. Really a one mans bird. All of them.
My male was very difficult to handle and was aggressive when he was hormonal.
My girls are very sensitive and don't like others persons then me.
I know that some say that Pionus is a easy parrot but I don't agree. Mine are also very active and playful.

Ncphillips2

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nicole Phillips
I was actually considering a cockatiel but got wary when I was told they wouldn't be "smart". That's not the right word, but Bazil was like having a little person in a birdie body. We loved his clownish personality and his intelligence. Would a tiel be comprobable?

Laylatoo

Jogging around the block
Mayor of the Avenue
I think they are very smart! Their is a special sensitivity to cockatiels that I love. I don’t have any now but did when I was younger. One who was my very best buddy during my high school years. He was hilarious, tons of personality. I tend to lean toward male cockatiels because I find them a bit more outgoing and they certainly are more vocal which I enjoyed when I had tiels. Watch some YouTube vids. I bet they win you over;). If my Meyers was good with more than myself I’d have no hesitation recommending a Meyers Too. She is super quiet but does a lot of chatter (she sounds like a little robot. Lol). She is an acrobat and playful and absolutely loves me. But she is not a fan of others and will bite them and her bite is no joke. She latches and grinds. Lol

Ncphillips2

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nicole Phillips
Thank you. I really do appreciate the feedback. I want to go into this adventure with solid info, not trying to convince myself something is right that isn't.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Some Pionus will be ok with a family unit but most pick one person to be their chosen one. Nerd loved me, but he and my sister had certain routines that were only for them. Lurch was mad at the world and quick to bite when he got here but after a mere 5 years if I left the room he would fly after me. Dobby likes almost everyone he meets and is very gentle and easy going, he is also a mischievous boy and into everything. The last thing he would do is bite, and he has chosen my sister as his favorite. I can ask him to step up, give him special treats and very occasionally scritch him.
They all are similar but their own souls so you get what you get and work with patience and love till they decide you are trustworthy and a friend.

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Whoever told you that cockatiels weren't smart never really met a cockatiel.

They are clever, personable, funny and expressive. Both of my cockatiels LOVE meeting new people and will show off by whistling their song and making heart wings. Both love to be close to us and will often fly over to my fiance and I when they want attention. One of my cockatiels will step up for anyone, and my other cockatiel will step up to guests so long as my fiance is in the room. They are delightful birdie ambassadors. And both of my cockatiels have learned tricks.

The one and only bad thing I can think of for cockatiels is that they are dusty birds, so make sure EVERYONE in the family meets some cockatiels to make sure no one has an allergic reaction. I also recommend keeping an air filter near the cage.

In my opinion, cockatiels are as close as it gets to the perfect parrot. (Not that I am biased or anything. :smuggrin::lol:)

Ncphillips2

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nicole Phillips
Oh.....I didn't realize how dusty cockatiels are. That may be a problem with my husband's allergies

Perriewinkle

I know you want us to tell you and guide you.. but I'd start by reading "the good, bad, and ugly" sections of the birds you are interested in.

I rescued Felicia, and while she latched onto me.. with constant work and attention, she would willingly sit with the roommate too. She isn't fond of new people, but she's 14 and I don't push her on anyone. She's not a fan of kids though, they move too fast for her and make her agitated.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
My Blue Headed Pionus Andre is playful to some extent. He is not loud often but when he is it is horrendous. He generally does not want to interact with other people. He is not aggressive towards them just avoids them.

Budgies are another small bird that you may want to consider.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I’ve never heard the conure screech but Meyer’s also have a high pitched screech but probably not as constant. My Meyer’s will fly to anyone that comes in the house. I was told she doesn’t like men but she loves my bf and flies to other men too. She can be nippy though and you do need to learn to read them. She often needs to be picked up or moved with a perch. But she is also lovey dovey and snuggly. Meyer’s are known to be bird aggressive and jealous.

Pionus are advertised as quiet apartment birds and they are usually quiet but their contact call is LOUD! My Pi is a one person bird. She is special and can’t fly and my friends are afraid to pick her up in case she falls but after 3 years she still freaks a bit if my bf goes in the bird room when I’m not there.

I don’t have a ring neck but they aren’t known to be snuggly. They can be very entertaining and talk in a very cute voice, hang out on shoulders but I wouldn’t expect a lot of hands on.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Oh.....I didn't realize how dusty cockatiels are. That may be a problem with my husband's allergies
The bird dust affects people differently. It would be worth it to introduce him to some cockatiels and see if it affects him or not. My fiance and I BOTH have asthma, seasonal allergies, and cat allergies, but neither of us has had any sort of trouble with the bird dust, and the birds live in our living room where we spend most of our time. Sometimes when they are sitting on the couch with us, they will do a happy fluff and send a plume of bird dander in our face! Lol. Habits such as frequent bird bathing, cage cleaning and vacuuming plus an air purifier are all super important, though (regardless of species, but especially cockatiels) because the dust can affect the bird himself too.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I definitely agree with everyone that a cockatiel sounds closest to what you're looking for. They're small, quiet, playful, affectionate, charming little birds packed with personality. I love them to death!

And the idea that they're not "intelligent" tends to come from people whose idea of avian intelligence is whether they can speak in context. Cockatiels are incredibly clever little fids!

My cockatiel doesn't bother anyone's allergies, but maybe your hubby could go hang around some to see whether their dust affects him.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My pionus has a very loud contact call! He's playful and likes to shred toys. But he mostly just likes me. He's cage aggressive with everyone but me. The good thing about Pis is that their body language is easy to read.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The best bet would be to meet a lot of mature birds of a lot of species, who are already set in their ways - for better or worse - so you know what you are getting into and meet a bird that will fit in with your requests! Any rescues nearby?

Frequency of screaming is very much individual. I have one quaker who will scream 8 hours a day, and another that might call out 8 times in a 12 hour period. It's a behavior that can be modified to some degree, at least.

Cockatiels are very intelligent, as are budgies (parakeets). They are both in the parrot family (cockatiels are actually the smallest member of the cockatoo family!) and all parrots are intelligent :)

For your requests, I really don't see any of the birds you mentioned fitting that profile. What comes more to mind are linnies, budgies, cockatiels, canary wings....smaller birds with smaller voices.