• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conniving Freddy

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Freddy's something else. I gave them mashed sweet potatoes and kale. Sprinkled some seed on top so they could taste and eat the veggies. It worked and they all ate some. Freddy wanted to come out and climbed all the way over to the door and was hanging on the door looking at me so I open the door against my better judgement since I work soon, let him come out and he went all the way to his cage top so then I knew we wasn't going to eat any more veggies so I threw out the veggies. And then I went and got a clean white dish to replace it with and he was watching me and as soon as I got the clean white dish in there I put some Nutri berries in there. They're not his favorite and they're new so he's learning to eat them. He waited about 5 minutes and then climb down to the inside of his cage sat near his white dish and chirped. He only wanted to come out so he could go back in his cage and get more seed. He's a little conniver and they are a lot smarter than you think. This is the first pre-planned thing that I have ever seen him do I'm sure he does a lot of it and that I just don't see! :facepalm:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Just wait. LOL. Toos are so smart. I can sometimes see in Elvis's eyes that he's thinking (and plotting....).

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
In case you're wondering....He only gets seed anymore when he gets a treat. He will eat pellets and a variety of daily veggies. He loves broccoli and field greens. He did eat some sweet potato/kale mash this am. I just keep at it. Every day!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Your training is coming along nicely, I see.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

DON'T UNDERESTIMATE A COCKATOOS INTELLIGENCE

One of the primary criteria for intelligence is an animal that attempts to deceive another animal. This behavior shows awareness that the animals understands that it can change another animal's behavior. Many cockatoos can be very manipulative with the people in their lives, and we need to stay aware of these behaviors before the birds are running (or is it ruining) our lives.

I call one of these cockatoo tricks "the magician". This is when the bird learns that all is has to do to get you to reappear is to scream as loud as it can...and this is loud! It is critical not to respond to negative behaviors with a drama reward. The more investment a cockatoo has in negative behaviors, the more it will continue, so ignore the bird, or teach it a positive distraction behavior that enables you to give the bird enthusiastic praise.

DON'T OVERESTIMATE A COCKATOOS INTELLIGENCE

Cockatoos are "reactors" rather than "actors". We cant expect them to understand situations going on around them and act in a "logical" way. Cockatoo logic and human logic tend to be very different, so we cant judge them in according to what we think makes sense. An example is the number of times I have heard people say that their cockatoos did something to spite them or punish them. This is most likely not the case.

For example, one women told me that her cockatoo bit her when she returned from a trip because it was angry with her. Chances are she moved in with too much enthusiasm, and the cockatoo has become accustomed (or patterned) to her not being there and she overwhelmed the bird. If she had calmly greeted the cockatoo and let it get used to her over a period of a few minutes, it is unlikely that she would have been bitten.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
All we need is a owners manual and warning buzzers and we'll be fine... Lurch would try things and eventually started to learn what got his desired results but of course sometimes whatever he did defied human logic, but he wasn't a human and he was working on wild jungle creature logic. I did have to learn to read him better as he was his own soul and many things I learned after 31 years with Nerd didn't directly apply to how he was working.
Dobby is yet again completely different and he's only known love and socialization and biting is the very last tool in his box but it has been confirmed he does know how to bite and has before, so far here he has chosen not to and worst I've gotten is severe beaking and one very hard pinch when I knew I shouldn't have touched him. Lurch had completely given up on warnings when he got here and slowly started after he realized we heeded them and he slowly became fond of me/us.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
DON'T UNDERESTIMATE A COCKATOOS INTELLIGENCE

One of the primary criteria for intelligence is an animal that attempts to deceive another animal. This behavior shows awareness that the animals understands that it can change another animal's behavior. Many cockatoos can be very manipulative with the people in their lives, and we need to stay aware of these behaviors before the birds are running (or is it ruining) our lives.

I call one of these cockatoo tricks "the magician". This is when the bird learns that all is has to do to get you to reappear is to scream as loud as it can...and this is loud! It is critical not to respond to negative behaviors with a drama reward. The more investment a cockatoo has in negative behaviors, the more it will continue, so ignore the bird, or teach it a positive distraction behavior that enables you to give the bird enthusiastic praise.

DON'T OVERESTIMATE A COCKATOOS INTELLIGENCE

Cockatoos are "reactors" rather than "actors". We cant expect them to understand situations going on around them and act in a "logical" way. Cockatoo logic and human logic tend to be very different, so we cant judge them in according to what we think makes sense. An example is the number of times I have heard people say that their cockatoos did something to spite them or punish them. This is most likely not the case.

For example, one women told me that her cockatoo bit her when she returned from a trip because it was angry with her. Chances are she moved in with too much enthusiasm, and the cockatoo has become accustomed (or patterned) to her not being there and she overwhelmed the bird. If she had calmly greeted the cockatoo and let it get used to her over a period of a few minutes, it is unlikely that she would have been bitten.
I can understand this is why routines are important too! He's so cute John, I get such a kick out of his emerging personality.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I can totally see why routines are necessary with these birds. Freddy seems to hate chop or mash but I think I will mix a little chopped kale in with his regular food and just throw it out after a couple hrs. I did that with his sweet potato /kale mash today and it seemed to have worked better. More of what he's used to, and less of the new stuff instead of the other way around.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
All we need is a owners manual and warning buzzers and we'll be fine... Lurch would try things and eventually started to learn what got his desired results but of course sometimes whatever he did defied human logic, but he wasn't a human and he was working on wild jungle creature logic. I did have to learn to read him better as he was his own soul and many things I learned after 31 years with Nerd didn't directly apply to how he was working.
Dobby is yet again completely different and he's only known love and socialization and biting is the very last tool in his box but it has been confirmed he does know how to bite and has before, so far here he has chosen not to and worst I've gotten is severe beaking and one very hard pinch when I knew I shouldn't have touched him. Lurch had completely given up on warnings when he got here and slowly started after he realized we heeded them and he slowly became fond of me/us.
That's what we get from Freddy too. Very hard pinches when he's irritated. So I just handle him the way he wants and nobody gets hurt lol!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I can totally see why routines are necessary with these birds. Freddy seems to hate chop or mash but I think I will mix a little chopped kale in with his regular food and just throw it out after a couple hrs. I did that with his sweet potato /kale mash today and it seemed to have worked better. More of what he's used to, and less of the new stuff instead of the other way around.
Elvis does best when we stick to a routine. I think that's why our mornings are so peaceful- because he and I have a set schedule because I have to be out the door for work. Evenings are more hit and miss and consequently, they can be calm or not. Last night was a big not. LOL. I didn't get him to bed on time and boy, did I pay for it. Every time I would try to get near him, he would fly to the top of the kitchen cabinets. I finally had to get a step ladder to get him down. Then hold him and carry him to his cage. The crazy thing is he actually looked relieved when he was finally in his cage. Like he was exhausted and wanted to go to sleep but was just too stubborn to give in until forced to. Silly bird.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
They are like 2 year olds that way too. They don't want the fun to end but they get cranky and tired trying to avoid bedtime. Nerd used to go in when he was ready, usually between 10 or 11 pm, we never covered him. Lurch used to fight it a bit and eventually adjusted to our much later schedule. Dobby would fly all over the place trying to avoid bedtime, he still tries to pick a spot to hide and roost and gets cranky and active just before bed time but he doesn't fly everywhere trying to avoid it anymore and will maybe fly off once or twice just to defend his dignity than allow one of us to carry him to his house. A couple of nights ago he just went in and settled in to roost, guess he was just too tired to fight it.