• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Confirmation on ingredients

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
I found this recipe for bird bread on the internet. Can someone check the ingredients to make sure all is well?
I assume theyre taking about quick oats when they say oatmeal. Im also assuming they mean cheddar cheese. For the baby food i bought sweet potato, carrots and peas. Thanks IMG_3795.png

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oatmeal would be either quick oats or old fashioned oats usually. Old fashioned are less processed.

Jiffy cornbread mix is not my favorite as a base. Lard is one of the ingredients. I would instead simply use flour (I really like spelt for the birds, but really, whole wheat flour or something else you can find at any grocery store; even white is better) and a bit of baking powder if you absolutely need it. I don't use it in my breads; it's just to make it fluffier.

I would 100% skip the cheddar cheese, and I never add shells either.

Honestly this recipe is just all over the place.

A super simple recipe would be

2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup Applesauce, baby food, or one banana
1 egg
1 cup frozen mixed veggies (or your preferred add in)

Then bake at 350 in a greased 9x9 pan for 25ish minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Last edited:

Rebel

Oatmeal would be either quick oats or old fashioned oats usually. Old fashioned are less processed.

Jiffy cornbread mix is not my favorite as a base. Lard is one of the ingredients. I would instead simply use flour (I really like spelt for the birds, but really, whole wheat flour or something else you can find at any grocery store; even white is better) and a bit of baking powder or baking soda if you absolutely need it. I don't use them in my breads; it's just to make it fluffier.

I would 100% skip the cheddar cheese, and I never add shells either.

Honestly this recipe is just all over the place.

A super simple recipe would be

2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup Applesauce, baby food, or one banana
1 egg
1 cup frozen mixed veggies (or your preferred add in)

Then bake at 350 in a greased 9x9 pan for 25ish minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Thanks, ill use your recipe. Ill use my sweet potato and carrot baby food instead of apple sauce. Im trying to get them to eat sweet potatoes and carrots . They won’t eat them plain.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Bird bread is a great way to sneak in stuff like that for sure! :)

Uglow

Moving in
Real Name
Uglow
I wouldn't use quick oats - the old-fashioned style that is organic and non-GMO is best. I use Bob's Red Mill. I don't know whether they are the best brand, but they are the ones I feel the most comfortable with.

Rebel

I wouldn't use quick oats - the old-fashioned style that is organic and non-GMO is best. I use Bob's Red Mill. I don't know whether they are the best brand, but they are the ones I feel the most comfortable with.
Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Another idea if bird bread doesn't work is to try and make crackers using sweet potato puree. Something like this (though I would probably use a different oil than butter, maybe Red Palm oil for an additional beta Carotene source)

Or a pasta that includes it as an ingredient.

Img_2024_03_03_22_08_42.jpeg

Rebel

Another idea if bird bread doesn't work is to try and make crackers using sweet potato puree. Something like this (though I would probably use a different oil than butter, maybe Red Palm oil for an additional beta Carotene source)

Or a pasta that includes it as an ingredient.

View attachment 443448
That’s another great idea. Thank you! I need all the help i can get.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Something to watch out with human products is you want to make sure they don't have a high iron content. A lot of cereals, baby food etc is fortified with iron and too much iron isn't good for parrots.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Something to watch out with human products is you want to make sure they don't have a high iron content. A lot of cereals, baby food etc is fortified with iron and too much iron isn't good for parrots.
I've actually never found a veggie baby food puree that contained added iron! Baby cereal and formula already had it added, so I imagine it would put human babies at risk for an overdose, too.

Rebel

Ill look out for that. Thanks. If i have to i suppose i could use mashed sweet potatoes and carrots. I was assuming baby food was pure. Silly me.

Rebel

I've actually never found a veggie baby food puree that contained added iron! Baby cereal and formula already had it added, so I imagine it would put human babies at risk for an overdose, too.
I just read the ingredients. Beech-nut brand. Says sweet potato and water. Doesn’t say about iron being added although it has iron in it. Iron(4% DV). Whatever that means. Is that a lot or not really?
Iron 2% in the carrots.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I just read the ingredients. Beech-nut brand. Says sweet potato and water. Doesn’t say about iron being added although it has iron in it. Iron(4% DV). Whatever that means. Is that a lot or not really?
Iron 2% in the carrots.
That's just the amount that is naturally occuring in the vegetables :)

Rebel

That's just the amount that is naturally occuring in the vegetables :)
This iron thing kinda puts a damper on the one and only thing everyone agrees to love , Rice Chex. How much is too much?
IMG_3799.jpeg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
This iron thing kinda puts a damper on the one and only thing everyone agrees to love , Rice Chex. How much is too much?
View attachment 443450
I don't know the safe amount, but I personally avoid cereals for that reason :(

Rebel

I don't know the safe amount, but I personally avoid cereals for that reason :(
Its a shame it has all that iron. Otherwise it has all kinds of good things in it.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Iron 2% in the carrots.
I think if it's naturally in food etc it's ok. And if it's not added to the baby vegetables that's great. Baby cereals, they add iron and people cereal usually has too much iron for parrots.

Rebel

I think if it's naturally in food etc it's ok. And if it's not added to the baby vegetables that's great. Baby cereals, they add iron and people cereal usually has too much iron for parrots.
I looked on the people cereal box. Tons of iron like you say. I guess they wont be getting that anymore. I never knew about iron being a problem . Makes me wonder how many bird issues are self inflicted from lack of knowledge.