• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Collars

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
My vet recently recommended pineapple juice when one of my tiels broke a blood feather and it looked like a murder scene.

Re: vet you don't trust, can you go in but just be very assertive? Insist on lots of discussion and only accept things you're comfortable with? I do think this is a pretty serious situation.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Theres no shortage of good fruits here. I've upped his super fruit amounts, lots of pomegranate, dragon fruit, mango. My husband got the birds up this morning and told me Doby seemed tired. I went in and saw all this and said no wonder he is tired. While tying this my husband called from the vets where he was picking up the vet wrap. He said the tech had concerns and wants us to bring him in tomorrow to see the vet thats covering for Dboy's regular one. I just don't know...Sh**. I can't get rid of the feeling that no vet is better than one you don't trust. I had also asked him to pick up some bitter apple spray to spray on the outside of the bandage which the tech talked him out of it saying birds can't taste it
You take him in tomorrow. You stay with him during this exam. You insist (follow any protocol the require but insist). Watch. Learn. Pick this vets brain while there. You are in charge. You are paying the bill. If something is uncomfortable/just not right, says something.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Aw, poor birdie.:(
I hope that works and the vet visit goes okay!

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I wanted to wanted to wait to see how the bandaging went to take him in. No huge amounts of bllod on the bottom of the cage, mainly because I think he spends a lot of time trying to get the bandage off which he does. I called to get him in today but the vet that was covering for my vet was not there and the other vets in the practice mainly see cats and dogs. The wound does not look worse its just not healing because he keeps taking the scab off. My vet is going to be there Thursday but they said he is booked for surgery all day. I can get in Friday. I may wait til then so my vet can help me figure out if he can actually wear his new collar because it may be me and my own frantic mind. Tonight I will bandage his leg again and put him in a small cage next to my bed to see if it makes a difference. Even though the vet tech mentioned on the phone about an acrylic collar, I had already discussed that type with my vet and he said he was not a fan. A fear I have with taking him to one of the vets with less experience is they will do something contradictory to what I have already discussed with his regular vet. I don't think the bandaging is a good idea long term because birds seem to get into habits easily and having the bandage on his leg and him tearing it off every night might make matters worse.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Back to the vet today. He is off gabapentin and replaced it with Meloxicam. To keep from the wound getting infected he is on baytril (I hate fluoroquinolones) also got topical silver sulfadiazine. I took the collar with me and the vet put it on him. We let him try to adjust to it a little to see what would happen. We put him on the floor for about 30 minutes. Poor baby kt trying to come to me and couldnt lift his head up. He finally made it to my husbands foot and held on to his shoe for a good five minutes til I decided that was enough for then. I put it back on later at home and sat in the floor with him. Still acting like he didnt have balance and could not lift his head. I notice he was not even trying and put my hand on his head...the velcro on the collar was stuck to the carpet. I thought it was best not to let him sleep in the collar tonight so we just bandaged his leg again. I'm letting him sleep in his travel cage next to my bed so I can check easily if he get the bandage off and is chewing his leg. I really wish I could have seen our regular vet, the one covering for him looked a little confused when I told him I thought the gabapentin was making Doby "flip and tap"

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
You might consider both gabapentin and meloxicam until the wound is healed. They work differently and can be really successful in combination when there's an open wound.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Took Doby to the vet, his leg can't heal. I wrap it at night but he is after it all day unless I just sit with him keeping him from it. Ot can't heal. The vet cleaned the wound, took blood to do every test in the book to make sure theres no underlying reason for self mutilation. He is staying at the vets til tonight so the vet can observe him with his new device around his neck, which is literally screwed on. I need to come up with a plastic bin for him to stay in. Any ideas how I can feed him? The vet said he won't be able to reach his normal food and water dishes.
This is similar to what he is wearing, I will take actual pics later.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh poor Doby! I hope that the new collar works and there are no underlying issues. I’m not sure about a food dish, maybe some sort of high, low rimmed trough type thing?

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I don't know how he can even get used to this. I asled the vet if we could make it smaller and he gave me a flat out "no".
Look closely and you can see how big it is

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
How awful for you both, I hope Doby starts to heal up now he has this new contraption on him. It does look awful but if it stops him from picking at the scabs and is only a temporary thing then hopefully it will all be worth it.

Can you fix some shallow dishes in a raised position or maybe put them on some sort of secured non tip stand so he can eat and drink easier?

SmallFeather

Walking the driveway
I can't imagine the distress you must be in right now. I hope Doby makes a swift recovery and gets to get that collar off soon! Barley and I are sending positive and encouraging thoughts your way! :sadhug2:

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
I’m sorry you and Doby are going through this. My heart broke at the way you describe his sweetness and how he doesn’t even try to bite when he’s having the collars put on. What a sweetheart! :heart:
I know it’s hard seeing him like this but you’re doing it for his benefit and I think he knows that too, that’s why he’s being such a trouper.

Good luck to you both, I’m sending healing vibes to Doby!!

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Its been nonstop for sure caring for my sweety the past couple weeks. The plastic contraption was horrid. I've never seen such a big shield on a bird. I had asked my vet to make it smaller and he gave a firm "no". After having him home and observing he had no life at all, was thrashing constantly, the plastic was cutting and bruising his back, I could not take it any more and took it off. I am blessed to have made "online" friends with a very special Eclectus person who has helped me a great deal. With this I want to share so others might not go through the horrid plastic thing. My friend contacted her friend who is the director or Parrot Resources of Canada (no, I am not in Canada which makes it even more special to find such kind hearted people). A special collar and cape was fabricated just for Doby and priority Fedexed from Canada. Another pedal collar was fabricated by "Pam's Pedals" which came yesterday, I will put that one on Doby next week since he is already having to get used to the cape one. If anyone on Avian avenue has a mutilator I would suggest you give these a try. Without them I would have to have Doby on me 24/7. I was at the point of having to let him perch on my arm while I slept or would wake to a bloody mess. Unlike the shield that had to be unscrewed, I can remove these collars for Doby to shower, eat a regular meal and perch on his tree stand when I can sit and watch him. If I am busy (finally get myself showered) and at night he lives in his little plastic bin next to my bed. He can't perch with anything on his neck even the great new ones. Doby holds his poo if he can't perch so its a little tricky. He won't poo in the bin unless he can't hold it anymore. Last night I was up late and my husband texted me from the bedroom telling me "Doby pooped". I had to go clean my guy up. I also have something to share for collared birds. Since they can't bend over a bowl I needed to find some way of tilting his snack and water bowls, I tired and he knocked them over. On Amazon I found a kitty bowl that was tilted on a platform that raises and tilts and also clicks into the base and won't spill. It was made for kitties with digestive issues that can't bend over a bowl. So, the rest of the update is this: Doby had a ton of blood work done that should be back today, he is still on antibiotics and maloxacam, his wound is healing because he has not been able to get at it. In thee mean time, I wanted to share his neckware and kitty bowls for those that might need the same.

Last edited:

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Yay! The new collar looks much more comfy for him :) so glad you found people who could help you:heart:

Glad it’s finally healing and I hope his bloodwork comes back clean.

Thanks for sharing the pics to help others :highfive:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
That’s so awesome that Doby now has a collar that’s so much more comfortable, and you have found a way for him to eat and perch. I love those kitty bowls! I hope Doby’s test results are okay, and that now he can finally heal.