• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Collars

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I need to try something to keep Doby from biting his legs. I know about the fringy collars they can chew on but I've read they can still get to their legs and feet. I found this, anyone know anything about this company or had experience with this type of collar?
BirdSupplies.com | Bird Collars | Parrot Collars |

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I need to try something to keep Doby from biting his legs. I know about the fringy collars they can chew on but I've read they can still get to their legs and feet. I found this, anyone know anything about this company or had experience with this type of collar?
BirdSupplies.com | Bird Collars | Parrot Collars |
Those are Elizabethan collars I think.
That is what people use.
How bad is he biting his legs? Is he on any meds?
I have been helping a grey lady with the same problem, her bird chews her feet. I have learned a lot from it, I ask my vet about it.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
He is on Gabapentin. He was better a few days then chewed off the scab and I found a bloody mess on his perch in mornings. I upped his dose and he was better a few days then this morning a bloody perch again with his scab off. I've resisted a collar for his feather plucking but mutilation is another story. I need to do something fast before mutilating get to be a habit. I've crossed posted the collar to a few bird sites to see if its worth trying. Danita, this is for Doby, like he has not had enough issues the past six months.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Have you had a bacterial culture on the legs? They could be an bacterial infection, are his feet warm?
Neurontin is good as it stops the nerve firing but not for long term use.
Some Greys get a thing where the nerves over fire and it bothers them of course.
Wrapping and collars are good together, but a vet would have to do that.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I have not had the culture done on his legs but the vet is sure this is just the next step from his plucking issues. I went ahead and ordered the collar.My goal is to get this leg healed and keep this from being habitual. Our mutual friend suggested a particular healing cream. I'm using that now. Doby is great lettig me put it on his leg. THE sweetest little guy.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've used and liked Birdsupplies.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Just got the collar today. Doby did NOT like it at all! After a few tries I did manage to get it on him. Sweet guy didn't even bite. The issue is he seems to not be able to hold his head up straight with it on, falls to the side, can't perch or get balance. I was really hoping this would help. The last few mornings I found blood all over the perch when he is uncovered. I spend my days with him sitting on my shoulder to keep him from picking at the wound. After trying the collar I put a regular band aid on him. I used a large one, cut most of the sticky part off so it would not touch his skin. I feel desperate

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Give the collar some time. it's normal for them to struggle like that when first adjusting to a collar but it should get better within a day or so.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
It was scary for all of us. I laid a towel over the sink and sat him in it while I put it on. He couldn't lift his head and was flapping around. He tried to climbup me but couldn't keep his balance. I might as well just sit with him all day rather than worry about him falling. God, this guy is sweet, there I was doing all that to him and then putting the bandage on and he just wants to be with me

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Why not sit with him all day with the collar on until he learns how to climb with it? I know it's scary (I've had several mutilators and every one aged me years, I swear) but he really should adjust and then it will be safer for both of you.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I don't see how he could get used to it, I swear it was like it weighted his entire head down. I was scared for him. It may just be the wrong design for him. I was trying to find something around the house today where I could make shift something that was a barrier to him scraping of the wound while it heals but would still allow air to get to the area. Maybe like something tubular similar to a straw that was about an inch long. Something with a slit on the side I could pry open and off. I can see it in my head but hard to explain. This past week he has not been plucking and has grown a lot of little feathers and puffies. I swear that if I can get him out of the mutilating I will never mention getting him to stop plucking.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Restricted movement is very stressful but sometimes a necessary evil. Have you suggested/tried just wrapping the legs well? He will undoubtedly work on the wrapping but as long as you keep up with the wrapping he's not getting to the skin. At least long enough to heal.

One of those fleece collars might still work. It just needs to be extra big and rather stiff at the bottom like a giant skirt he can't pull up.

All just food for thought. :hug8:

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Called the vet and he won't be in most of the week. I don't like the one they have covering for him. I'm going to go get some vet wrap and gauze and cover his leg. My husband is afraid he will ingest it but I don't see what else to do

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Called the vet and he won't be in most of the week. I don't like the one they have covering for him. I'm going to go get some vet wrap and gauze and cover his leg. My husband is afraid he will ingest it but I don't see what else to do
Its possible but not likely.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Vet wrap is made for this purpose. It should be fine.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I can keep him from chewing pretty good during the day...mostly because he is stuck to me like glue. Its like being a mom with a baby...yes, you can use the bathroom with a big bird on your shoulder. Just to give you a visual of why I am desperate right now, the last few mornings THIS is what I have found in the mornings. About the other vet, he is young and I trust myself more than him as far as wrapping the leg. My fear is he will wrap it too tight and then I will have something worse.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yikes that's a lot of blood! Are you offering him some juice or fruit to help with that?

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Theres no shortage of good fruits here. I've upped his super fruit amounts, lots of pomegranate, dragon fruit, mango. My husband got the birds up this morning and told me Doby seemed tired. I went in and saw all this and said no wonder he is tired. While typing this my husband called from the vets where he was picking up the vet wrap. He said the tech had concerns and wants us to bring him in tomorrow to see the vet thats covering for Dboy's regular one. I just don't know...Sh**. I can't get rid of the feeling that no vet is better than one you don't trust. I had also asked him to pick up some bitter apple spray to spray on the outside of the bandage which the tech talked him out of it saying birds can't taste it

Last edited: