• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatoo Toys

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I know a couple of cockatoos that get a stump of wood. Of course, it must be from a bird-safe tree. As well as lots of phone books and other toys.

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Could you use a toilet paper roll- if not I'll get the craft paper :)

Usually I prefer using a paper towel roll since it doesn't live in the bathroom. I split it along the seam to make a paper spiral. Rhubarb is a light chewer so she prefers paper over cardboard and balsa over pinewood. But every birdy is an individual! :)

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Ghost likes cardboard , phonebooks and wood ...I make allot of my own toys ;)

384.jpg

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Keno prefers toys she can dismantle or toys that she needs to open/close, twist/turn, etc, in order to get to a treat.
Have you tried any problem solving toys?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
So far Luv Bug isn't a fan of bright colors, so I went to Hobby Lobby and found some small, unscented and glitter-free (read: natural) pine cones, a raffia bow and a roll of birch bark. I thought the bark would unroll when I untied it, but it stayed tightly coiled so I rolled it around a cage bar & she chews at it every day & sticks the bits in her feathers.

I also bought a large, shallow clear tray and a bag of pastel beads for the top of her cage so she can ant all day to her heart's content. :heart: Oh and a light pink feather boa (also from Hobby Lobby and glitter-free). She preens that instead of chewing holes in my clothes as much & ants the feather pieces as well. :)

Rachel Karfit

Sitting on the front steps
The hubs makes wood block hanging toys for our fids. He cuts different sized and shaped blocks, drills a hole in the middle, then puts a rope through them, tying knots on either side of each piece for footholds. Our U2 loves it more than the pricey ones we picked up from Drs Foster & Smith. I also take old catalogs and make improv forage toys by twisting the paper around a treat like a tootsie roll or a pouch and use some twine to tie the ends. They don’t last long, but a basket of different colors with different snacks (avi cakes and dehydrated fruit pieces for the win!) is a welcome diversion. Lulu likes throwing hers around before digging in. These work good with the 2 IRNs as well. Pages wadded up into balls seem to amuse my ‘too as well. Junk mail is free! Who needs a machine to shred it when you have parrots?
I love the cardboard toy idea. Have plenty of boxes around here, for sure.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
20171111_155220.jpg 20171111_155058.jpg 20171111_155058.jpg Amazon.com : Super Bird Creations 30 by 11-Inch Willy Nilly Bird Toy, X-Large : Pet Toys : Pet Supplies
My Toos favourite toy by Super bird creations , Willy Nilly. It has a little of everything going on. Wiffel balls filled with goodies. Knots,blocks,stirring sticks, they have others, this is their favorite.

Last edited:

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
Jester Bean loves boxes. I save all of our food boxes for him to shred! I just toss them on the floor of his cage and he tears them up. Another thing that he loves is his baffle cage. I stuff that thing with all sorts of stuff, and he loves to rip it all out! He also enjoys pieces of wood thrown on the bottom of his cage. He prefers chewing wood on the ground as opposed to hung up, although he still likes it hung. LOL.

Rachel Karfit

Sitting on the front steps
I ordered Lulu a baffle cage this weekend. Have you tried stuffing food like walnuts and brazil nuts in with the wood pieces? If so did your buddy Jester seem to have fun with that?

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
I ordered Lulu a baffle cage this weekend. Have you tried stuffing food like walnuts and brazil nuts in with the wood pieces? If so did your buddy Jester seem to have fun with that?

Yes! I've stuffed almonds, walnuts and nutriberries in there and he loves it! Sometimes I will line it with paper bags and then put all the stuff inside of the bag so he has to work harder to get to the treats and fun things. He has a lot of fun with it. I hope your Lulu enjoys hers! :)