• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatoo Toys

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
Hi there,
I'm having trouble finding toys for Nedd- I know what he likes, but as soon as give it to him, he tends to destroy it within a few minutes. I don't mind, and I know this should be expected, but I still go to school every day (except weekends, obvi.) and I don't want him to be bored. Just wondering what durable toys are out there that an RB2 might be occupied with for a few hours?

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Wood block toys work well. Big blocks of wood, not the kind of thin pieces for small birds, but thick blocks. One of the bigger toys I've bought have lasted a month up against a U2. if you teach him foraging, buying a few of the foraging toys can keep your fid entertained

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Zane's really likes a toy call Coco de Nut. It's made with a hairy coconut shell. Echo likes it too but not as much as Zane. Zoo Max toys are good too. You can find some with chucky pieces of wood. Plus they are a decent price. Old phone books are also a cheap toy. You might try some foraging toys too. I haven't had much luck with the plastic or acrylic ones. But you might :) Good luck with it!!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
:lol: I don't buy toys anymore. I'm not paying $60 for a toy they will destroy in about an hour. I use clean construction grade lumber and let them have as much as they want.
Parrot blocks.jpg Wood mess.jpg

Laylatoo

Jogging around the block
Mayor of the Avenue
My girls LOVE big chunks of cork and balsa. The cork and balsa large toy from mighty bird toys is their favorite as well as the large balsa with beads that side mounts to their cage. They do go through them but it lasts quite a few days and they seriously can’t get enough. They also love everything from planet pleasures. Really anything wood or shreaddable is a hit. I just make sure it’s the large sizes so they last longer.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Wood, wood, and more wood...that's Milton's favorite.

He does have preferences about the wood, though. Milty doesn't like round shaped wood...no wooden balls. He also prefers smaller chunks of wood over larger ones...after all, he's a small U2...

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
CA Bird Nerds has a section of bird toy parts specifically for large birds. It can be found here:
LARGE PARROTS

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Paper. Get a roll of white craft/butcher paper. A piece as long as your arm can be accordion folded, made into a roll or cut up and folded into a book-like shape then wedged in the bars of the cage for shredding fun. Rhubarb loves her receipt roll. It's regular, non-thermal paper. She unrolls it to the floor of her cage every couple of days and I roll it back up for her at night. Whenever a section gets especially chewed up, I rip it off and we start fresh.

IMG_6156.JPG

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
Roll paper, telephone book, catalogs, wood that is a give always, fisher price toys seriously Whitney my U2 played with them all day and could not destroy them and was stimulating, especially the fake cell phone, rattles and toys that played songs, piano and musical toys. Ella my CAG has the same and they are still going strong, she plays with everything but Fisher price or the like toys are her favs she likes playing music but not a natural singer. :wacky:

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
Paper. Get a roll of white craft/butcher paper. A piece as long as your arm can be accordion folded, made into a roll or cut up and folded into a book-like shape then wedged in the bars of the cage for shredding fun. Rhubarb loves her receipt roll. It's regular, non-thermal paper. She unrolls it to the floor of her cage every couple of days and I roll it back up for her at night. Whenever a section gets especially chewed up, I rip it off and we start fresh.

View attachment 260221
Could you use a toilet paper roll- if not I'll get the craft paper :)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
My girls LOVE big chunks of cork and balsa. The cork and balsa large toy from mighty bird toys is their favorite as well as the large balsa with beads that side mounts to their cage. They do go through them but it lasts quite a few days and they seriously can’t get enough. They also love everything from planet pleasures. Really anything wood or shreaddable is a hit. I just make sure it’s the large sizes so they last longer.
Cork and balsa wouldn't last a second with my two Galah boys. I do a little bit of everything for them...they are like beavers. I cut my own wood like John does but I also buy pre-cut and pre-drilled stuff from Expandable Habitats (Expandable Habitats - Main Page as well as their skewers and I keep reloading their skewers with wood, cardboard boxes that I cut up into squares, and plastic pieces that you should be able to get from Ann at CA Bird Nerds. They also love leather pieces like the stars, and, conchs, and clovers.

I carry a few toys at my store that are good for the smaller Cockatoos as well. I just put out a new one called Stacked that is all basswood stacked together and strung on a chain. I'll try and dig up some pictures for you. We also carry the Expandable Habitats skewers now.

My boys are rougher on their toys than my little girl is and I also have a mated pair that are former breeders and are used to working a nest box and they are easily the biggest chewers of my entire flock. They go through wood in the worst way, so you might have to experiment a little bit with your bird to see what types of material he/she likes the most.

I should also note that they love the Avian Stainless toys which are a must and will last a lifetime. The owner, Doris, is in the process of selling the business. So, definitely look for it to open up again.

Laylatoo

Jogging around the block
Mayor of the Avenue
My girls also love your “stacked” toy we got! I have it on their play stand and it’s definitely lasting longer. I’ll have to buy a couple more of those to keep them on hand.

Cork and balsa wouldn't last a second with my two Galah boys. I do a little bit of everything for them...they are like beavers. I cut my own wood like John does but I also buy pre-cut and pre-drilled stuff from Expandable Habitats (Expandable Habitats - Main Page as well as their skewers and I keep reloading their skewers with wood, cardboard boxes that I cut up into squares, and plastic pieces that you should be able to get from Ann at CA Bird Nerds. They also love leather pieces like the stars, and, conchs, and clovers.

I carry a few toys at my store that are good for the smaller Cockatoos as well. I just put out a new one called Stacked that is all basswood stacked together and strung on a chain. I'll try and dig up some pictures for you. We also carry the Expandable Habitats skewers now.

My boys are rougher on their toys than my little girl is and I also have a mated pair that are former breeders and are used to working a nest box and they are easily the biggest chewers of my entire flock. They go through wood in the worst way, so you might have to experiment a little bit with your bird to see what types of material he/she likes the most.

I should also note that they love the Avian Stainless toys which are a must and will last a lifetime. The owner, Doris, is in the process of selling the business. So, definitely look for it to open up again.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
My girls also love your “stacked” toy we got! I have it on their play stand and it’s definitely lasting longer. I’ll have to buy a couple more of those to keep them on hand.
I just gave the prototype to my boys this morning before I left and man, they went after it before I could tighten the quick link! That basswood is like birdie crack! It will be interesting to see what's left when I get home tonight.

Here are some pictures of some of the things I was talking about:

On the right is a stack of cardboard on a skewer that my grey Clancy has been working on.
IMG_0848.JPG

This is the Stacked toy prototype that I just gave my two boys. It's basswood and for sale at TNT Bird Toys for $18.
stacked.JPG

You can turn food into toys...here's Kishka having fun with Brussel's sprouts DSC06009.JPG
Awwww...not the picture I was looking for but here are all three of my pet RB2s in one of our EH cages. You can kind of see some of the skewers in there packed with wood and plastics. I'm going to have to run down another skewer picture as it doesn't seem to have saved to my hard drive.
photo 7.JPG

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
And finally, a good look at a stuffed EH skewer. It has plastic, EH pre-cut, pre-drilled pine (you can buy that from Expandable Habitats in bags of 40 pieces for about $14), and leather pieces on it. The one in the picture is the 11.5" one. I love these skewers because you can keep refilling them once the bird chews the stuff up! They are life savers!

eh_skewer.JPG

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle