• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiels

Conure101

Rollerblading along the road
Wow! It looks like you have a pet store in your house! :lol:

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
You have to dissemble it and put it together in the room,did you try that? Or it’s just too big to fit.
I made a bunch of measurements to try to figure out how I can situate it in the room to get it to fit and it just won't work. I even tried putting some of it into the closet. Physically it will fit in the room, but I have other cages in there and it takes up so much space that there isn't enough left to arrange them in a logical way. The walk-in is 7 feet wide, 5 feet deep, and 7 feet tall. If we had chosen a bigger bedroom to make into the bird room, then it would fit, but it is what it is.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Holy smokes that’s a lot of tiels! At least we’re only a few months out from better weather, very kind of you to help a flock out!
I had 6 of my own prior to bringing these guys in. Now I have 48 cockatiels betwen the two flocks. I think I may add mine to the larger colony once they get outside. The walk-in aviary will give them plenty of space.

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
That’s awesome! That aviary is going to look gorgeous full of tiels :laugh: Are you planning on building a double door for the aviary to avoid escapees?

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
That’s awesome! That aviary is going to look gorgeous full of tiels :laugh: Are you planning on building a double door for the aviary to avoid escapees?
That has to happen before any birds go in. I still need a part for the misting system as well. There is a fair bit of work to be done but I think it will be a good environment for them. Maybe not the neighbors but certainly for the birds.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Wow, look at all those cuties! I can’t wait to see them stretching their wings in the aviary!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
The move outside happened today. The misting system is up and running and the weather wasn't that hot today. We moved the entire flock outside. My three brats are glad to have their own cages back. I looked into getting a double security door that fits on the outside of the cage, but I can't find one that matches the color of the cage. The manufacturer only has it in black now. Anyway, I'm thinking about the vinyl strip curtain door that you find in walk-in coolers. It will easily attach to the cage, and provide a nice way for me to slip inside without opening the entire door. I also have someone who might be able to weld a security door for me. Everyone seems happy, and pairs that were separated quickly found each other. The house is quiet once again.

Attachments

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Incredible :faint: What do these guys' lives look like from here? Are you going to keep them all and just let them live their lives out in the aviary or are you just a temporary home until they get rehomed?

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
We’re going to keep most of them. A friend breeds the yellow one so I’m going to give him a few. I breed white faced so I’ll keep some of those. There are 48 in total but not 24 pairs. Some are paired but don’t breed. They will just be spoiled, well fed and taken care of.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
So. Many. Cute. Birds!!!!

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
The first notes sound like La ........cant spell it!!!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Glad they fell into your hands, @BrianB .

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
One little cockatiel managed to escape on Sunday. We ended up with all 49 in the cage, and this one little boy shot out behind me and managed to get free. He spent two days circling the neighborhood. Against all odds, he survived 2 days in the wild before I caught him this evening. Now he's in a cage on the counter in the kitchen. Not a peep out of him. He stuffed himself, had some water and went right to sleep.

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
One little cockatiel managed to escape on Sunday. We ended up with all 49 in the cage, and this one little boy shot out behind me and managed to get free. He spent two days circling the neighborhood. Against all odds, he survived 2 days in the wild before I caught him this evening. Now he's in a cage on the counter in the kitchen. Not a peep out of him. He stuffed himself, had some water and went right to sleep.
So glad you got him back and he's safe and sound!

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
So glad you got him back!

Other than that big scare...how are they settling into their new home? The aviary is very nice btw...

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
My little miscreant. He looks a bit ragged. We knew he was nearby and would see flashes of him flying by. He would call to the flock and they would answer him. A neighbor and I put food and water out for him, and she caught him eating before he took off again. Yesterday morning I found him in the yard and actually got him to step up, but he took off again before I could get my hand over him. When I came home last night, I went outside to check on the aviary and he was sitting on top of a small cage right next to it. He wouldn't step up when I offered a finger to him. He turned and jumped from the small cage to the outside wall of the aviary. I had left a small net outside, so while the other birds had his attention, I grabbed the net and slapped it right on top of him. We have hawks and owls in the neighborhood, so I'm really surprised he survived two days in the wild.

Attachments