• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiels

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
and more cockatiels, and even more cockatiels....

I breed cockatiels, conures, and macaws. Another local breeder contacted me asking if I could help someone he was sending my way. This person has had a change in their living situation and will need to move in the near future. She has 40 cockatiels that she needs to find a home for. After some conversation back and forth, I've agreed to take almost all of them. This is going to be a chore, but I'm happy to help her out. Currently, they all live together as a colony and free-fly throughout her house. In the short term they will have to be in cages inside the house until I prepare the outside aviary for them. It will probably be two days, maybe less for me to get the work done. Pray for me - I think I've finally lost my mind.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:angel1:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It's very nice of you to take them. I hope everything works out okay.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Wow, that’s s lot of cockatiels! I’m glad you are able to take them in and give them a nice aviary, I’m sure they will love it! You will have to post pictures when you are done.

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:shocked3: That's a LOT of tiels! Good luck with your extended flock! We look forward to your updates :) Sorry if you've said this elsewhere, but how many birds do you have at the moment? You are gonna have your hands full! :lol:

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Thank you for taking them and and good luck!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
:shocked3: That's a LOT of tiels! Good luck with your extended flock! We look forward to your updates :) Sorry if you've said this elsewhere, but how many birds do you have at the moment? You are gonna have your hands full! :lol:
I have 43 at the moment. Only three of them are pets. The rest are breeding pairs, or single birds I'm trying to find mates for. The flock is a mix of conures, macaws, quakers, and cockatiels. I anticipate I'll be getting 34 or 35 of her total cockatiel flock. They are a mix of breeding pairs and pets. She plans on keeping the really old ones that hate everyone but her. She said those few are well beyond 20 years old. The stress of relocating could be deadly for them.

Reactions: tka

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for taking all of the 'tiels in. I hope everything works out well for you and the birds.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I really want to see what it looks like when someone has 40 cockatiels free flying throughout their house
I really DON'T! :lol:

I think I've finally lost my mind.
I have to agree with you! Even though I would do something just as crazy - especially cockatiels. :tieln::tielf::tieln::tieln::tieln::tieln::tielmu::tielmu::piedtiel::tielf::tielf::tieln::tielmu::tiel4::tiel4::tiel4:

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I really want to see what it looks like when someone has 40 cockatiels free flying throughout their house
Not as bad as you might think. From what I saw everything appeared to be very clean. They won’t be free flying here. I wouldn’t let me three roam free in the house. There is no way I’m letting 40 fly free.

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Wow how would you deal with all the poop? I am constantly picking up Yoshis poops when he’s having out of cage time I don’t see how it would even be possible with 40?!!? Are you keeping them permanently?

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow how would you deal with all the poop? I am constantly picking up Yoshis poops when he’s having out of cage time I don’t see how it would even be possible with 40?!!? Are you keeping them permanently?
I won’t know that until they get here and are settled. There are some that are beautiful and good breeders. I’ll want to separate those. I know a few other local breeders so I may trade with them to avoid inbreeding. There are a lot of possibilities.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
This was my day yesterday. A cargo van, a bunch of nest boxes, 200 miles round trip, lots of tears, and a very sore back. In total, we added 42 cockatiels to our flock. I also dropped off 4 that were destined for a local bird store. I'm working on assembling the walk-in aviary that they came with. I would really like it to go outside, but the birds have been inside recently and it's still very hot here in Phoenix. I don't want to stress them, and even though I'll have a misting system out there, it's still hot. The walk-in may fit in our bird room, but we'll have to move other cages to accommodate it.

It's 6 am and the house is filled with the sound of singing cockatiels.

Attachments

Conure101

Wow! That’s a lot of Tiels! Hope everything works out.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I opted for 3 larger cages instead of 7 smaller cages. This is all temporary until I get the big walk-in outside finished. I had to displace my 3 pets to make it happen, so no one is happy with me at the moment. As soon as the temps here go down to the low 90's, I'll be able to move them outside. That will give me some time to get the misting system installed, build a double security door, and put the rain roof on it. I tried to figure it out, but the big walk-in aviary simply won't fit into the bird room and I can't give up another bedroom for birds.

Attachments

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You have to dissemble it and put it together in the room,did you try that? Or it’s just too big to fit.

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Holy smokes that’s a lot of tiels! At least we’re only a few months out from better weather, very kind of you to help a flock out!