• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiels with Budgies

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
They all sound so cute, and it seems like they are already starting to get comfortable! Things will keep changing as the months go by, and everyone will start to become more settled in and show their true colors. Just make sure that you or your fiancé don't do anything that makes them uncomfortable so they can really learn to trust you. I think that maybe Pheonix is landing on the floor because she is unsure of where to land and is probably scared of landing on you or unfamiliar furniture. The floor might seem like the safest place at this point. As long as the floor is safe for her you could probably keep the ladder, but personally I do not like my birds on the floor. It just seems like it would be easy for birds to pick up germs there.

animallover9

Walking the driveway
@Tiel Feathers her being on the floor makes me a little uncomfortable she does go straight to me or her cage but I would feel better if she landed on her cage like Raiden does. He was also on the cage so she should of been a little more comfortable but hopefully after I get a play stand and some more things for them around the room she will stop going to the floor and start flying to things she likes to land on.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Aw! Pheonix looks so cute!:heart: I can see you're not gong to get many other things done with that little love bug around! They are all so lucky to have you.

Loppy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jen
These guys are so cute! Thank you for rescuing them and giving them a better home. I can't wait to see more updates on them.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Keep the ladder. Get Phoenix checked by a vet. Is she huffing and puffing when she lands on the floor or look distressed at all? She could have a hear problem, or it could just be she was kept in the cage for so long she is out of shape for flying. Her endurance for flying should increase as she flies more, but ruling out a physical problem would be answered by the vet visit. Budgies are resistant to interacting with humans when they are in a flock. They prefer to interact with one another. Yet a flock of tiels will one by one forge a relationship with a picked human the longer they are familiar with the human. Two very different outlooks on humans by the two species.

animallover9

Walking the driveway
@Laurul Feather Cat She doesnt huff and get all puffy when she lands she doesnt look distressed at all and she walks right over to me and the cage. I have noticed the cockatiels want to be with us and the budgies just let us be around them but want nothing to do with us they are happy to preen each other and play. One good thing with Phoenix when she was flying today she landed on my fiances shoulder instead of the floor once but landed on the floor the rest of the times.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Here are a few updated pictures of everyone. I'm hoping the feathers on tris head grows in soon!
Cockatiels don't have feathers on the top of their head underneath their crest. They are in the cockatoo family.

wasabismom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Nicole
Lutino cockatiels usually have bald spots. Genetic flaw. Google lutino cockatiel bald spot. They are super cute :)

animallover9

Walking the driveway
Kind of glad to know its a genetic thing and not someone else who has picked her head bald. Tris made some progress today normally when we open the cage to let everyone out only Raiden and Phoenix come out and fly around and do what they feel like pretty much well today I opened the cage and Tris popped out! She sat on top of the cage with Phoenix for a while she didn't play just took everything in and when Phoenix an Raiden started flying around so did she!! She flew over to the chair on the other side of the room and and hung out for a while she refused to step up for us and didn't let us pet her but that[s okay we will move at her speed. She is still easier to get back in the cage than Phoenix! At least Tris stepped up on a perch Phoenix is to smart for her own good and knows when its time to go back and will refuse to step up on anything.

A few questions Raiden when he is in the cage will swing upside down or at least sideways facing the ground and start flapping his wings like crazy (he is fully flighted and has time to fly around) is that normal or is he just a dork? Phoenix is very particular and will only eat when out of the cage if I hold the food if I put in the bowl and place the bowl down she wont touch it but as soon as I am holding it she will eat everything right up why does she do this?

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Sounds like Raiden is exercising his wings, one of my tiels does this frequently. As for Phoenix...well, I think she had you trained already!:laugh:

animallover9

Walking the driveway
@Tiel Feathers yeah they are training me already between Phoenix only eating if I hold the food and whenever I give Raiden treats when he is on the cage if I walk away he drops it on the floor and waits for me to pick it up then the cycle keeps going till I just stop walking away from him. :facepalm: You cant tell they are spoiled or anything :xflove:

animallover9

Walking the driveway
One more question I put nutri-berries in the food bowls since everyone likes them except Raiden as soon as I put them in the bowls he walks over to the different bowls and picks them all out and throws them out of bowl to the ground where no one goes to eat them. Why must he do this? I have been thinking about getting a separate bowl for just the nutri-berries and other treats. Do you think he will knock them all out if they are the only thing in the bowl?

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Haha! :laugh: That's funny, what a little stinker! Putting them in a different bowl somewhere else just might work. Phoenix snd Tris are so cute!

animallover9

Walking the driveway
A little update on everyone. They are all doing good Tris is getting better about being comfortable around us but wont step up yet. She still seems to like me more than my fiance but we will see. Raiden has defiantly picked my fiance as his person which I am a little upset about but it is good for my fiance since the majority of my animals have picked me over him. Today I went to pet Raiden and he got very upset by this flew over to my fiance and curled up on his chest and gave me the stink eye for a good 15 minutes, but luckily Phoenix has picked me and if I am changing water and food she will follow me on the top of the cage leaning over as far as she can so she makes sure I know she wants attention. I tried to teach Raiden a trick which he kind of started getting but Phoenix of course out did him and when I asked Raiden to do it she went right on ahead and showed me she could do it better than him! She was so proud of herself and started going crazy with excitement as I went crazy with praise for her it was adorable. I will have to try and record her doing it. The budgies are still doing good they dont really want much to do with us and are happy just to hang out with each other and chill but they are far more talkative than the tiels but its cute!

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Love the update! All the tiels sound adorable, especially that little Phoenix! One of my tiels picked my husband, and I know what you mean about it being good for him. He doesn't really want to admit it, but he loves that little bird! Glad things are going so well with your new flock!

animallover9

Walking the driveway
Oh yes they are so adorable haha. Especially Phoenix you want to talk about a Velcro bird she makes my life rather difficult at times but I love her and shes so cute shes worth it. She has a new thing when I am changing food and water she will stand on the food or water bowl as I am trying to get it back in the cage so its a difficult as possible

animallover9

Walking the driveway
I have another question... Phoenix has a tail feather that you can tell has snapped since it is all bent out of place but it is still kind of attached. My fiance asked me to pull it since it looked like it was just handing there I lightly touched it and it didn't move so somehow it is still attached to her. Should I just leave it since she keeps bending it more and I am afraid it is hurting her but I dont want to break her trust I have gained from her and pull it out and possibly hurt her. What should I do?