• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiels with Budgies

animallover9

Walking the driveway
I was looking online since I have been trying to find an African Grey but was wanting to help/rescue a bird. I came across a post that had 3 cockatiels and 2 budgies all in the same cage that I would say was maybe big enough for one cockatiel. One of the cockatiels are missing a good amount of feathers from her back so I am unsure if she picks them or if one of her (many) cage mates does. They have no toys other than one swing in the little cage and other than one actual perch the rest are all bungee cords. The cage is dirty and they have a very dirty nest box as well even though all the cockatiels are females and only one of the budgies is male. I am tempted to help them and get them out of that situation since I have an entire room I can dedicate to them and the means to either get them 2 huge cages (one for budgies and one for cockatiels) or each large cages with plenty of toys for them to play with. What does everyone suggest. They might not be the bird I was looking for but from the pictures I cant help but feel for them and have a need to help.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I am tempted to help them and get them out of that situation since I have an entire room I can dedicate to them
You have my sincerest blessing and encouragement. It's all about environment and you have it. :hug8:

animallover9

Walking the driveway
It really says something with how horribly they are being kept when I showed pictures to my fiance and most the time he is very against getting any animals since we have a dog with physiological issues that takes most of his attention (she is very bonded to him) but as soon as I showed him the pictures he said we need to try and help them and get them out of that situation.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
go for it, as long as you understand that they have to be in separate cages JMHO. I had budgies when I got Rocky and Tuffy. the budgies had to be kept away from the 2 tiels. budgies can be mean to other bigger birds. just like sparrows will egg on a crow and pick and pick and pick at it until the crow leaves. my budgies would do the same to Rocky mostly, so they had to be let out of their cages at separate times.

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think that would be wonderful if you could help them out! I agree that seperate cages for them would be best. As long as you have thought it through and also have the means to help them, I think you should go for it! Keep us updated on your decision!

animallover9

Walking the driveway
I have already started looking at cages online I completely plan on separating them and I wouldn't be surprised if the one is plucked from one of the budgies. I think that cage is way to small for more than one cockatiel and the bar spacing is to big for budgies so if I do take it I can promise it will be trashed. I am currently talking to them and to add to it they are fed mainly a seed diet with some zupreem fruit pellets mixed in. Good note they are feed veggies daily so that is something. They are also young so they have time to adjust to a better diet hopefully!

animallover9

Walking the driveway
New questions! One of the cockatiels is sitting on eggs all the cockatiels are female so the eggs are not fertile but I am a little worried about her laying eggs once I get here.... She is the one who is plucked that is sitting on eggs right now I was told they just dont see a reason to take the eggs from her and I can take them if I want. It is a 3-4 hour car ride so I dont really want to take eggs along with me and feel it wouldnt be good to have the three in the same cage on the ride home and have her eggs in there. If the nest box is removed (no plans on ever breeding) will that possibly prevent her from laying?

animallover9

Walking the driveway
This is the picture I was sent of one of the females. This is the girl who is sitting on eggs right now. It seems she is missing a lot of the feathers on her back and possibly some tail feathers as well

upload_2016-8-29_6-16-25.png

learnincurve

Walking the driveway
Real Name
helen
If budgies and 'tiels are already in together then they will be perfectly fine with each other. You might want to put them in two separate cages but when they are all out in the bird room together then watch them at first but I doubt they will go for each other. I woudl guess it's the male tiel doign the damage to the female, without a nest box he should stop.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It so great if you can help them. The tiel in the pic is pretty. There are environmental changes you can make to help reduce egg laying. The female being in a small confined space might be contributing to egg laying. You can try getting some dummy eggs for her for the car ride..

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Thank you so much for trying to help them. :hug8:
I hope it works out and you can give these babies a wonderful home.
The 'Tiel in the picture is beautiful.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Best of luck with your new group of lovely fids ..Im sure you will give them a loving home :hug8:

animallover9

Walking the driveway
It is official we are picking them up on Friday! I am told the three cockatiels are females I am guessing since she had a nest box and it was such a small space could be why she is laying but fingers crosses. It doesnt help he never tried to get her to stop laying he just started giving her more calcium and bedding in the nest box. I plan since they all know each other to have them all out together but housed in different cages. They are all beautiful other than the one the others are in full feathers. One cockatiel is all white one is a cinnamon pearl and the other is pictured. The budgies are I'm told lutino and opaline? Once I get them I will post pictures!

TwoTinyTrees

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Bless your heart!!! Best of luck with your new friends!:hug8:

animallover9

Walking the driveway
I was wondering if anyone had any toy and treat suggestions? they are currently on a mainly seed diet with some zupreem mixed in and they only have 1 real perch some bungee cords and one budgie size swing type thing so they have have never experienced many toys. Suggestions?