• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cockatiel has serious constipation

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sorry i didn't see the vet prescribing the ACV. They absolutely can change their mind about stuff though. I had a Quaker that would eat a certain food for months and then suddenly wouldn't touch it. If she's truly dehydrated it doesn't make sense to not provide fresh water without any additives to see if that helps at all. Perhaps discuss with the vet as obviously I'm not the professional here

Pie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
i want to give yet another update if that's ok, she drank 5 big gulps of water when i offered her. so she at the very least is staying hydrated. she also took a few nibbles out of a basil leaf but she is not interested in eating at all. her vent has gone back to having a plug of feces. we'll be at the vets office in 3 hours if not even faster.
she is just starting to look quite rough, she was completely standing when i came to check on her, and she just rather stay in place and chill. she does activate when she wants to, but chooses to rest. have been visiting their room every few minutes to snuggle with her and occasionally offer some water.

Pie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
!!!! she laid an egg! ...or more sort of got it out of her body. i came to check on her in the bird room and i see a cracked egg on the floor that has blood on it. i am still taking her to the vet so they can see over her. the egg seems to be normal regarding shape. this was her first egg now.

Pie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
alright, let us put an end to this story for those that want closure.
we went to the vet, and she checked out her cloaca. said all looks good, there is no second egg on its way. she gave her long lasting antibiotic shot in case there might be ruptures inside her bowel, some vitamins and painkillers if she was still in any pain after laying. my cockatiel seems to be all good now :)
hope her second laying goes better when it happens! thank you all for those helpful tips, if she or any of my tiels ever seem to be constipated i'll know good tricks to help them in the meanwhile!