• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cockatiel has serious constipation

Pie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
hello.
my cockatiel was fairly recently diagnosed with inflammation of the bowel. the vet said she should get apple cider vinegar in her drinking water for about 3 weeks. i've been following that.
however, today i noticed that she cannot poop, and her anus is "full" of poop. she tried to do poop thrice, but i only heard air/gas releasing from her bowel and saw no poop. i have called the veterinarian for help, but sadly i cannot bring my cockatiel to the clinic since i don't have a car. only tomorrow i could, and they're not sure can they visit me so far away today.
does anyone have any idea what i could do to possibly make her better? i tried to spray a bit of warm water on her to help relax muscles but it did nothing. when she stops moving around she just fluffs up and looks really sleepy.
she is 3 year old female, so i suppose eggbinding is possible. this would be her first egg. i will be taking her to the clinic tomorrow if the vet cannot visit today, but i really would want to know is there anything i could possibly do in the meanwhile.

Pie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
a small update, she might've just pooped. on the bottom of the cage there is a new dropping about beneath where she is preening herself. i wasn't there, so i'm not completely sure. her vent seemingly hasn't changed though. dropping looked normal.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Did the vet give you any information or tips on how to help her till you can get to the vet clinic?
I am wondering if putting her in a steamy bathroom might help some.
Hopefully @Hankmacaw @Mizzely @finchly might be online soon and able to give you some help.

Pie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Did the vet give you any information or tips on how to help her till you can get to the vet clinic?
I am wondering if putting her in a steamy bathroom might help some.
Hopefully @Hankmacaw @Mizzely @finchly might be online soon and able to give you some help.
sadly the avian vet himself couldn't get on the phone. i am hoping to get a call back soon. i have an electric sauna so i can warm up our shower room (sauna is connected to it), but i'm not sure how safe that is.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
That’s great. Updates would be awesome:)

Pie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
time for update 3 now, she definitely has perked up from being sleepy and fluffy. her vent is clear now, and she gained her appetite back. i called back to the vet office, and the nurse on the phone agreed that she most likely got the blockage out herself. i will keep a close eye on her though, in case something happens again. still haven't seen her poop, but i trust the pile on the floor is all hers :) tomorrow i can take her to the vet office if she still is in need, but hopefully all will be good from now on

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Pumpkin right out of the can (only pumpkin and water - not pie mix) is great for constipation. If you can get him to eat some it should help him along. The most common cause for constipation is dehydration so encourage him to drink or to eat very wet things like lettuce or a wet fruit.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yes! Poop! It's a great thing,,,like @Hankmacaw says, moist foods, but only leafy lettuce, like red leaf, romaine, or green leaf,, berries, pomegranate, and make sure your baby is drinking water,or Pedialyte,,the unflavored kind..let us know. :hug8:

Pie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
it seems the issue is back now. they have some nice greens offered but she won't go for them :/ i've seen her drink water at least once today, so i believe she is drinking. i'll go and remove all seeds from their cage, to make sure she especially goes for the greens. they have broccoli, basil leaves and wild dandelion leaves (washed thoroughly!). not sure is pumpkin water available but i'll see about that as well. the vet's office is now closed for today, so i'll give them a call early tomorrow and hope they have time to take a look at her.

behavior wise she is very active and is back to having her huge appetite.

i believe i might know the reason to this constipation, and that being her over eating seeds. they've been quite strictly on a plant and pellet diet now, and yesterday i had ran out of fresh veggies to offer so i gave them (i got 3 cockatiels) some seeds that were enriched with vitamin powder. she must've eaten way too many seeds then, and that might be the cause of the constipation. the inflammation is most definitely not helping her situation either.
it also seems her poop is really hard, since she gives these little pained squeaks when she tries to poop. hope she will be successful soon again.

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The pumpkin is canned and is available at any grocery store. Just make sure it's can that is only pumpkin and water(?).

Pie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
her vent has changed looks. i cannot see poop anymore, only pinkish-red (insides of the vent?) i am getting really worried now

Pie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
does anyone know can you give levolac to cockatiels? i know my sisters bearded dragon got that when he was constipated but a cockatiel is a whole other creature.. my mother would be bringing some to give a bit to her to hopefully ease her pooping, but is it safe?

edit: she is.. back to eating?? she went to the bottom of the cage to eat any fallen seeds but i cannot see that she would've pooped anywhere??

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I have never heard of giving that to a tiel, I woiuldn't try it. What about the pumpkin as suggested, or a little cooked sweet potato?

Do you know if your water supply has changed lately? Sometimes the city or county will make a change and it tastes wrong, so the bird doesn't drink much. Try bottled water.

Also... could this be an egg?

Pie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I have never heard of giving that to a tiel, I woiuldn't try it. What about the pumpkin as suggested, or a little cooked sweet potato?

Do you know if your water supply has changed lately? Sometimes the city or county will make a change and it tastes wrong, so the bird doesn't drink much. Try bottled water.

Also... could this be an egg?
the only store that was open at the time didn't have it. i am afraid she might not eat it though when i do get it.
i don't think it has. just regular water with a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to help her bowel inflammation. she has never been picky with water.
i was suspicious of egg at first, but she got significantly better when she got to poop. any signs of constipation or fluffy butt disappeared right then and there. only came back when she couldn't poop again.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Canned Pumpkin, cooked sweet potatoes mashed, leafy greens (except basil too herbie right now), kale, Swiss chard, leaf lettuce both red or green. Try chopping it tiny shreds, or wetting it shake off some of the water and hang above a food dish.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Try looking for baby food pumpkin, that's usually easier to get ahold of.

I would discontinue the ACV in the water in case that is adding to the issue.

I also would try to get her in to the vet. The longer you wait the harder it may be to help her.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Pumpkin is really so easy to cook, maybe you could just buy a fresh one and cook it yourself?

@Mizzely I think the OP said their vet actually recommended the ACV for quite a lengthy time frame of 3weeks. I would think and hope that for inflammation of the bowel the vet would have prescribed something?

I’d personally be offering a bowl of clean plain water. I can’t help but wonder if the constipation is due to the water having ACV in it and the bird not drinking enough because of the ACV?
I always still offer a bowl of plain fresh water when I give ACV in their water as I’m terrified that my birds will decide their water is no good and not drink at all. The issues from not drinking at all far outweigh the benefits of giving ACV so knowing many animals refuse to drink water with additives in I take precautionary measures.

Pie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
hey guys. so constipation is still continuing, and i got to call the vet's office. i will be bringing my cockatiel and her mate there, since she will be kept overnight.
and yes, the apple cider vinegar water was prescribed by the vet last time as the only drinking water. i have seen her drink it plenty before (not her first time around having to drink water like that) so i highly doubt she would just discontinue drinking it as again, she is not nitpicky about her water. she was also given an antibiotic shot but as a home treatment we got the vinegar water. though i will be giving her a little bowl of clean water when we leave for the office, it is a lenghty drive so water and food are a must. i still doubt the issue would be acv in the water.

she is still fairly active, can fly and walk around and climb, but clearly shows being sleepy. probably losing a lot of energy for trying to push the poop out.

i also can't buy pumpkins yet, i live in finland and they're still out of season and my local grocery store at least has no import with pumpkins. baby food with pumpkin is a possibility though, but i can't go to the store today because of the very tight schedule i'm having. she will be in the vets office anyways so she will get the best care she possibly can there. also, what rotten luck, literally a day before her issues i ran out of fresh kale my grandma grew on her own yard.