• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cochise Has A Tic

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Today I was playing with Cochise and he was sitting on my arm. He would do a head flick, left wing, right wing, repeat. I set him on the door of his cage and watched, and watched while he went in to eat.,and he was not doing it. It could be a lot of different things I was told, from disease, to heavy metal poisoning, to a nervous thing. I have never seen him do this before. I guess it is time for a visit to our avian vet.:(

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my. I hope he is OK! Is he acting normally otherwise?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no,I hope he will be ok.

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aww! I'm sorry-how scary!! Hopefully everything's okay. :) :hug8:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry. I hope that it is nothing serious. I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

Matt

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I'll be thinking of you and Cochise :hug8:

I am hoping it was a hormonal thing, but guessing you've had him long enough to know what he does when hormonal. I suggest it though because I thought Pete had something neurological the first time he did a little bit of his mating dance. It wasn't until the next day when he did it again and threw in a bit of regurg motion that I was clued in to it being hormonal and then found videos on youtube of other amazons doing it that I knew he was ok.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Hmm..interesting Audrey. He has also started over preening again this week. He had let it all grow back in too.
I won't rest well until he is tested and the results come back.
Thanks everyone for the well wishes.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Interesting stuff here, because my first thought was more along the lines of it being a pacifying thing. He is a rather nervous bird still, even after all these years.
"Parrots will perform a quick feather ruffle to release tension, much like when humans take a quick moment to lean back and stretch before we go on to the next task."
"Some parrots, particularly African greys, shake their heads as if there's water in the ears. No one really knows why they do this, and it seems to be normal. If your bird is doing this a lot, it may be a sign of an ear or nasal infection."
"A parrot will flip its wings up and down to indicate frustration, get attention, or indicate aggression. It may also happen during molting, when it's trying to align new feathers or get rid of old ones that may be hanging or ready to fall out."
Reading Your Parrot's Body Language - For Dummies

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Interesting stuff here, because my first thought was more along the lines of it being a pacifying thing. He is a rather nervous bird still, even after all these years.
"Parrots will perform a quick feather ruffle to release tension, much like when humans take a quick moment to lean back and stretch before we go on to the next task."
"Some parrots, particularly African greys, shake their heads as if there's water in the ears. No one really knows why they do this, and it seems to be normal. If your bird is doing this a lot, it may be a sign of an ear or nasal infection."
"A parrot will flip its wings up and down to indicate frustration, get attention, or indicate aggression. It may also happen during molting, when it's trying to align new feathers or get rid of old ones that may be hanging or ready to fall out."
Reading Your Parrot's Body Language - For Dummies

All of this is true!

Yes, the last part I think is called wing flipping? I've never actually seen one of mine do it, but I've seen other parrots do it. You can hear it, too.

And yes, Greys shake their heads, and often head shaking is a sign of sinus infection.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Carole,was there any kind of different noise/music at the time?My Grizz is VERY sensitive to certain sounds and will flick his head for as long as he hears that sound:(As for the normal Grey head shaking-none of Mine do it :hug8: I will be praying that it is nothing serious :hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Yes, the last part I think is called wing flipping? I've never actually seen one of mine do it, but I've seen other parrots do it. You can hear it, too.
And yes, Greys shake their heads, and often head shaking is a sign of sinus infection.

We do tons of wing flipping here, in fact Korbel is sitting next to me doing it. He is getting settled to rest and does it for about half an hour before bed. You can also hear it, it sounds like a smack of a wing.

Actually, Korbel does exactly what you are saying every evening and every time he is tired Carole.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Hmm..wonder if I should watch a day or so to see if it continues? Thanks for everyone's input. It does ease my mind a little to know it could just be a behavior.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
:hug8: Hopefully it is really nothing. I am sure you will be relieved to find out what it is. Jasper does the wing flipping occasionally when he is getting settled to rest.