• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

cluster of lumps on my cockatiels wing

Status
Not open for further replies.

imahappymess

Moving in
I looked up xanthomas and that's exactly what it looks like! I found some good information. Thank you!

Vicky Chai Tea

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Vicky
You still have to take your bird to the vet, no matter what. As the owner, it is your responsibility to make sure the animal is healthy.

The previous owner just left the bird in this condition without taking it to a vet? Seems fishy to me. Did you buy the bird or adopt it from them? If you bought it, I would NEVER buy from them again. That bird is sick and need a vet.

If you cannot afford to take the bird to the vet right now, take it in anyway and pay for it over time. Seriously. Look for a job if you don't have one, or look for another if you already have one. Or you could borrow money from a family member, do odd jobs for people, sell some things, stop paying your cable bill for a while etc. And if you really just cannot take the bird to the vet... then you need to re-home it with someone who CAN pay for it or give it to a rescue. Period.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
try to find a vet that will let you make payments..please do take him

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I looked up xanthomas and that's exactly what it looks like! I found some good information. Thank you!
I'm familiar with Xanthomas because I have a Macaw that has them on his wing tips. He had them removed in 2005. First wing tip surgery was done in July 2005 and the second one was done in October 2005. (Unfortunately they have since grown back and they are being monitored closely. He's not a good candidate for a second removal. His wing tips will have to be removed when they become too large or stressed.)

It's really important that your Cockatiel see the vet; Xanthomas can continue to enlarge.

In the meantime be very careful with his wingtip. The area is very delicate. It can become ulcerated and painful. It can also bleed easily if he bumps it. Keep a close eye on the area, if he's picking at it you can suspect it's painful to him.

I wish him all the best.

Last edited:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor little one,I hope he is better soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.