• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Choosing a Cockatiel

A new cockatiel for starter

• young one

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • old one

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

Eriz

Moving in
Hello everyone

I am new to breed a bird. But I'm interested in Cockatiels. I have visited near pet shops and found 2 birds I like. One is about 1 year old and my favourite color. Another one is about 3 or 4 months old. Which one should I choose? Both are tame and not biting but I prefer the young one for better relationship. I also worry because I am new to it. Please advise me.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Either one would be a good pet. Cockatiels are easy going. Keep visiting them and go with your gut. Or get both so they have a friend. :)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue.

You're really not talking about a huge difference in ages here. Either bird would be a fine choice.

May I make a suggestion...visit with both birds, one at a time. You never know....maybe one of the birds will pick YOU...;)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Are you choosing them to breed?

blewin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
Either age tiel will be fine. I would follow cassiesdad's suggestion and visit both again. 'Tiels do choose, and you might want to see which one more readily interacts with you. When we saw Buddy, we didn't think we were going to get a 'tiel yet, but she hopped on us and pretty much refused to get off.

Things haven't changed much, since...LOL.

Eriz

Moving in
Thank you all of your replies.

If I visit, I prefer one year old with my favourite color because 3 or 4 months old one is not as pretty as that one and I don't like the color alittle. The only point in the option is that the young age which can be trained better than the old one.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Babies like everyone and then sometimes when they mature may not like you as much (it's a natural response because in nature they must leave mom and dad to go find a mate)

So I say if the one year old seems to like you go for that one, you'll have a better chance of a lifelong bond!

Plus, older birds should get homes before babies cause babies are easier to find homes for, and there are so many older birds who need homes.

Last edited:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
They're both good looking 'tiels...the younger one is very striking with the black feathering! I love the lutino's eyes.

I know I'm not making your choice any easier...you can't go wrong with either one of them...:)

Smbrds

Real Name
Shawn
Agree with the above - you can't go wrong with a 'tiel and sometimes it's best letting a bird pick you. Both would be fine birds and if there is some age difference, you would be raising the younger one of course but a year old isn't considered "old" but have been through the phases of growing up and have matured.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think they are both beautiful, but I would go with the one who seems friendliest towards you, rather than color. Cockatiels are awesome little birds, so I’m sure whoever you choose, you will have a wonderful companion.

Eriz

Moving in
Thanks all for the replies.
I have chosen the lutino about 1 year of age. I worry I cannot raise the young one because the current breeder still needs to mouth feed. I don’t know how to care since this is my first experience.

I would like to ask another question is that should I put a leg chain when I take him out of the cage.

Eriz

Moving in
I also don’t want to put a leg chain.
However I wanna go out together and worry about escaping. How to prevent it?
How about harness or leash?

barry collins

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Barry
You prevent escaping by not taking your bird outside. A leg chain is a foul idea and can you imagine your bird flying off then being stopped dead in mid flight by it's tiny little matchstick sized leg? Harnesses can work but with lots and lots of patience, training and a confident bird who doesn't scare easily. Honestly just think about building a relationship with your bird in a safe environment first and read up and learn about all your new friends needs and wants before even thinking about anything else. Your birds entire life and welfare is now your entire responsibility for its whole life so put it first before what you want.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
You prevent escaping by not taking your bird outside. A leg chain is a foul idea and can you imagine your bird flying off then being stopped dead in mid flight by it's tiny little matchstick sized leg? Harnesses can work but with lots and lots of patience, training and a confident bird who doesn't scare easily. Honestly just think about building a relationship with your bird in a safe environment first and read up and learn about all your new friends needs and wants before even thinking about anything else. Your birds entire life and welfare is now your entire responsibility for its whole life so put it first before what you want.
Well put...

blewin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
Both the local bird store and our avian vet are anti-harness for several reasons. First, even with the newer harnesses, if a tiel gets enough speed (and you'd be amazed how quickly they can) the harness can cause real damage to everything. Also, 'tiels are prey to about everything, and a raptor (or crow) can and will snatch one right off you given the opportunity.

If you've ever seen "The Proposal" (Sandra Bullock in Alaska), there's a scene where a golden eagle snatches a puppy out of Sandra Bullock's hands. Same idea, and it really happens.

Cockatielhour

Meeting neighbors
My suggestion would be to read up on cockatiels. Educate yourself as much as possible on what's best for them. And if you have questions on anything then come and ask and see what others think. For the most part you'll see a common pattern as to what is the right and wrong thing for a cockatiel. There's so much to read about these beautiful intelligent creatures. Feel free to dive in and immerse yourself in the details!