• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Choosing a Cockatiel

A new cockatiel for starter

• young one

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • old one

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
My suggestion would be to read up on cockatiels. Educate yourself as much as possible on what's best for them. And if you have questions on anything then come and ask and see what others think. For the most part you'll see a common pattern as to what is the right and wrong thing for a cockatiel. There's so much to read about these beautiful intelligent creatures. Feel free to dive in and immerse yourself in the details!
Well put.

A person's education about birds doesn't end when they bring one in their life...it's actually beginning...;)

Eriz

Moving in
I agree. I was spending a lot of time to learn in detail about them. As there is no avian vet here, I will try my best for the quality of life. The bird is still not with me yet. As soon as I got the cage, I will bring it. Although it is a tamed one, I will have to make a good relationship with me. Thank you all. Teach me more.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
You still should have your newbie checked by some type of vet...even if they aren't strictly an AV.
I will try my best for the quality of life.
I will have to make a good relationship with me.
I have no doubt you will be an excellent parront! We're all here to help you along the journey you're about to begin with your new companion...:)

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Inviting a new being into your home, such as a cockatiel, is a wonderful opportunity to learn about them and how to best care for them. As humans, it's only natural that we get excited and want to take our new friend with us everywhere. But as others have pointed out, try to learn as much as possible about your new friend before exposing it to the many potential dangers out there. Best of luck and this forum is definitely the place to be for suggestions, guidelines, and overall bird-loving advice! Enjoy the company of your new cockatiel!

Smbrds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Shawn
Taka is precious. Congrats. No doubt you both will have a great relationship. Tiels are wonderful birds. Here are a few links. There is also a search for international; Association of Avian Veterinarians; Find Clinic As @cassiesdad mentioned doesn't necessarily have to be an avian vet as some vets have handled birds in their training or know some about birds. They could probably even direct you to an avian vet.

Last edited:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
@Eriz - Taka is beautiful! Welcome! :heart:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran