• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Celebirdy of the month/November2012/(Katster's) DANTE THE ROSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:
I am so excited!

It is with great pleasure that I announce the Celebirdy for the month of November 2012.....
The one and only, beautiful
Dante the Rose! :cheer::cheer::cheer:

1. How did you acquire your bird?

Dante is technically the family's bird (my mums mainly), A friend of the family gave my mum Dante back in early 2011. He came with his cage, bowls and many bags of sunflower seeds as his main and only diet (now that I think about it , after all I learned so far about parrot diet, I go like --> :eek: ).

I was away back then. I wasn't there to witness Dante experiencing his new home with us. In April 2011, I returned home only to find a new member of the family. Here is how his greetings to the complete stranger "me" back then went: The second he saw me, he went dancing. He performed a dance by shaking his head & neck to the left and to the right...left and right...left right ...left right. While hearing me talk to him, he said "hello" he said it and pronounced it so well and in a VERY cute voice :swoon: I offered my arm and he jumped right on it and started blabbing. He enjoyed his time on my arm and acted as if he knew me long time ago. I was just meeting him for the first time and he was like as if we haven't seen each other in centuries. He entered my heart from the very first second of meeting him :heart:

2. What is your bird's name, age and sex?

Name: Dante de Rose. Dante is for short. My family didn't name him at first. Something that my family likes to do is ask me for "naming the family's pet assistance". Now that I am the best at naming a pet. Sometimes I take so long of a time. I reached out to my pen pals who are majority maltese dogs owners. One suggested "Dante" and the other one added "Rose" (pronounced Ro-Say) to it. I connected the two with "de" and it became its official name :D Having said that, Dante also has nicknames. He also goes with Mr Pink, Pinkster, Mr Wings, ChickenWings, Matto, Pinkalicious. The nick name that he hears the most at home is "Matto". He says "Matto" a lot too. He also sings the Matto song (a silly made-up song that he loves).

Age: The one who had Dante before said that he was almost a year old (early 2011 as of January). We are not certain. He could be back then. He could not. Who knows. We don't have his exact hatch day info. If he was a year back then, then he would be almost 3 years old now.

Sex: DNA tested "All Boy". He is just too pink for his gender.

3. Does your bird do any special tricks?

Dante shakes hand (shakes your finger actually), waves, gives kisses on command and plays dead. His most favorite trick though is: "Act Innocent"

Here are a couple of videos of him performing a couple of them.

Plays dead
[video=youtube;PETqVnG_lFo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PETqVnG_lFo[/video]

Waves and Shakes hand
[video=youtube;P4aNcs5dn40]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=P4aNcs5dn40[/video]

4. What are some of your bird's favorite foods?

Bountiful Harvest blend from MSBS, bananas, lettuce, celery, lettuce and carrot are in his top list of favorite.

5. What is the funniest thing your bird has done?

He cracks me up everyday. I can't think of one funniest.

hmmm maybe his antics towards my mum :lol: For example, when my mum puts something on the table, Dante comes to that object and drops it on the floor, then he makes "giggle" sounds (I am sure it's because he hears me giggle), and then looks at my mum "looking all innocent".

6. How has your bird enriched your life?

In SO MANY WAYS!!! I will need to write a long novel for this question. I guess the most important enrichment for me would be: he turned me into a parrot person.

I am an animal lover in general (dogs are my favorite), but I've never considered living with a parrot. Not that I thought that there was something not cool about parrots, but more of I just didn't think about them. I loved meeting them in places like the zoo and watching them perform, but I just didn't know anything about them other than they are pretty creatures. It just didn't hit me that I would go out there and get one to live with. I come home in April 2011 to find one. Not knowing ANYTHING about parrots, Dante acted like he knew everything about me and that he was my long lost clown friend :hehe:

7. What would you tell people who are considering this species?

If you are willing to scarify everything that belongs to you (cell phone, iPad, glasses, school notes, furnitures especially the wooden ones, shirts , hoodies...etc) get a Pinkster. Even if you filled their lives with birdie toys, they will still come after your things.

Dante for example, finds the greatest enjoyment in going after things he knows I try to hide away from him. My cell phone for example is his most favorite victim. He pulled and chewed off the buttons MANY times. I fix the keyboard, then the same story starts again. He is known for destroying and destructing. I think that getting in trouble is his most favorite activity.

Oh and please keep them fully flighted. These guys love to fly. Letting them exercise is very beneficial. Stay away from providing them with fatty foods. Fat tumor is known in this species.

8. What is the activity and noise level of your bird?

Activity Level: HIGH. Very high. He is one busy bird who HAS to do something. He is fully flighted and also looooooooves his flight sessions. Sometimes you hear him scream in excitement while flying.

Noise Level: I would say medium (low-medium actually for Dante). He isn't a screamer. He does get into those moments where he screams. They aren't many moments. It happens when he plays hard in excitement and when he flies. He is more of a talker really. BIG TIME. Everything and anything he learns from words to sound effects, he says and repeats over and over. When you leave the room and he wants to get your attention, he will speak actual words he learned and knows. That is the way he uses for calling. It never was screaming.

9. What are some of your birds quirks?

He has many. I especially love it when he "walks" after me, following me like a puppy. He is fully flighted and does fly to me sometimes, but for some reason , he enjoys walking on the ground when following me. He is my pink shadow and really acts like a puppy when doing so. You can also hear those foot steps noise of his when walking on a wood floor. awwwh. I also love the way he acts during and after shower time. He loves shower sprinkles and he goes crazy during it. I also love his antics when we are in public towards strangers. He normally shakes/nods his head for them, talks so much and not shy at all. I guess my most favorite one is when he flips over, does a birdie break dance and stays on his back for a while while looking at me from an upside down view.

Even when perching, he puts his head downwards and looks at me from that position (I am starting to think that maybe I look funny to him from an upside down view).

10. If your bird talks, what is the most surprising word or sentence it has said?

I guess the way he said "hello" (exactly like the way I say it) when my cell phone (and only my cell phone) rings. As he waits for me talk, he goes like "I love you".

When he said "Kiss" for the first time as I was heading to actually kiss him. Then he made kiss noises.

I found it amazing when I first learned that Dante knows exactly which word to use under which condition. For example, when I leave the house (even if I was totally ignoring him), he goes like "bye bye".

He also uses sounds effects in their right places. For example, when I head to the switch to turn on or off the lights, he makes switch sound seconds before I touch the switch.

11. What is your bird’s favorite treat?

Treats from AO.

Attachments

Last edited:

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Awe congrats!!!

I love Dante :heart:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great choice and wonderful pictures! :)

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Congrats!! :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations Dante! I enjoyed reading and looking at the pictures!

Matt

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie

Totally enjoyed reading about Dante and looking at all the wonderful pictures:hug8:

southernbirds

Rollerblading along the road
Ver good choice. I have always wondered about owning one and it was fun hearing all about him. Very interesting interview. Wonderful photos.

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
Dante, my favorite cockatoo. :swoon: Great inverview!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Congratulations !!!!!!!!!!! to you and the fabulous Mr, Pink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Katster

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Dante thanx you guys :)

I guess I went picture crazy with the amount I sent :o: (one thing for sure , I love snapping his photos)

HelenVanessaDavies

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helen
YAY DANTE:heart::dance4:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award