• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cardio, Respiratory and Circulatory Diseases

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TY for this thread, Mary Lynn. My tiels are not all that dusty, but they are beside Wasabi's cage. I believe DHA's hail from Mexico and Central America.

Are they OK to be in the same room? Opinions?

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
This is an allergic type reaction. The further away from the allergen the better. Dust particles float easy in the atmosphere/air so keeping that down helps. Wipe down the dusty bird cages. If you use paper on the bottom of the cage, spritz with water before removing the paper as that keeps dust and dander down and less likely to spread.

Remember this disease affects people also and they will also have "bird keepers lung". There is also mushroom pickers lung, sugar can pickers disease. If you have a sensitivity to the allergen disease is more likely. Poor husbandry skills can lead to disease. Certain jobs are more riskier than others (black lung disease in coal miners, mesotheleoma working with abestos, mushroom pickers disease...picking and processing mushrooms etc). Learn the cause and what preventive measures can be implemented.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
TY for this thread, Mary Lynn. My tiels are not all that dusty, but they are beside Wasabi's cage. I believe DHA's hail from Mexico and Central America.

You have dust producers with non dust producers. Always best to separate as much as possible.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Greycloud - if Kali isn't dusty she should be ok with the Zons. Especially, If you have a HEPA cleaner near Kali's cage. I hope someone else puts their 2 cents in on this question.

Wsabisaurus - I would certainly move Wasabi or the Tiels away from each other and put a HEPA filter by the Teils' cage. Of course, Wasabi is too mean to be hurt by anything. (Just kidding).

Everyone asking questions is sure helpful - keep it up. And those of you who have information - Jump Right In.

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
This is so upsetting. I can only think of a few households that don't have a mixture of 'toos & macaws. @Bokkapooh don't you have an infant? Are there any studies about the dust & infants?

Merlin has respiratory symptoms in the summer months, starts in late May & ends usually in late Oct. We've been sniffle free for 2-3 weeks this year. Next well care visit is blood work time. I'm going to ask them to check the oxygen in his blood. I've always wondered what effects to his organs w/his allergies.

I think if I had a mixed household, I would be investigating that blood work now. I don't want to get all "eboli", but its a simple test & might pinpoint a big problem before there is another death.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

My opinion; NO they should be housed in separate rooms with all the usual precautions taken to keep the dander down.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Now I'm coming to the realization that my baby Jardine's, Bogart, most likely died from this. His cage was right next to Maalik's cage.
I've made the decision to place my baby Macaw's cage in my living room. And I'm going to leave my little Jardine's cage there as well.

My birds are free flighted in the same room. SO glad that we're moving forward with building a sunroom/aviary the first of the year.
Unless a necropsy was Done as soon as possible to determine cause of death of the jardine, I really do not feel it is or would be right to make a claim or even suggest that your grey's dust was the cause of the Jardine's death. I hope this thread does not start a wave of hysteria and panic among folks that have old world and new world birds in the same home.

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Yes, I do have a baby. She's 4.5 months old.

I live in a two story house. The upper floor is where us humans live. Its very dust tree. We have a hepa filter up there. So no issues. And I want to keep it that way. But my boyfriend does have normal seasonal allergies, so a stronger air filter would beenfit him as wellness our baby Eva and myself.

Downstairs is where our birds are. Its VERY big down there. Which is why theyre housed down there and we wouldnt have to worry about any amount of feather or fecal dust hurting us humans lungs. Last thing I want is my baby to get bird keepers lung disease.

But with that said, I absolutely care about my birds quality of air too! Thats why we have there air filters down there and I open windows daily. Nothing worse than stale air. So its normally dust free down stairs. My cockatoos and Mera, recieve two baths a week normally. And the air purifiers do there job. But within the last week the largest air purifier isnt working as it should. The high setting doesnt work it stays on the lowest setting and it shows as the t.v. screen needed a wiping down for the first time in months.

So new and better quality air purifiers are in our future. Due to pricing, it may be a slow transition but I hope to have 1 large purifier in the big bird room and also where Mers and Opa are as well as Upstairs in the living room. So we need three high quality ones and I'll donate the ones we have to a rescue or family member.

Bartleby

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I hope this thread does not start a wave of hysteria and panic among folks that have old world and new world birds in the same home.
I totally agree. It's important to remember that we are dealing with a sensitivity here and that this is not a one-to-one correlation. There are a multitude of breeders, owners, rescues and sanctuaries who have kept old and new world species together (in the same home, room, building, etc) for decades and have had zero instances of any of these respiratory problems.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Unless a necropsy was Done as soon as possible to determine cause of death of the jardine, I really do not feel it is or would be right to make a claim or even suggest that your grey's dust was the cause of the Jardine's death. I hope this thread does not start a wave of hysteria and panic among folks that have old world and new world birds in the same home.
I have also mentioned time and time again and will do it again that Having birds is continuous and endless WORK. Cleaning , dusting, removing cage papers, etc. Relying only on air purifiers is simply not enough and never has been for me. Not even those list of diseases. None of this should be news to any of us. To me it sure hasn't been. A big chunk of my morning is spent dusting, vacuuming and disposing of cage papers with hardened poop. I live with both a macaw and a grey. I alao own 3 full sized air purifiers. Austins and Rabbit Air. I don't see myself doing anything that much different than what I have always done.

Last edited:

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Saemma, I did have a necropsy done on my Jardine's. They couldn't find anything other than an excessive amount of mucous in his airway.
When Bogart became sick I first noticed that he became winded after flying a short distance. The next day he was in respiratory distress and he died that night at the vet's office.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Our moves have been made. It is the quietest I have ever heard Sunshine. :unsure1: I am sure with time she will be her normal bossy self. Dexter is fine and Sterling is flirting with Sunshine! :cool: Kali and the zons took the move fine and my living room is much nosier in a different way now! :wideyed:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Saemma, I did have a necropsy done on my Jardine's. They couldn't find anything other than an excessive amount of mucous in his airway.
When Bogart became sick I first noticed that he became winded after flying a short distance. The next day he was in respiratory distress and he died that night at the vet's office.

I remember feeling very sad when you lost him. I am sorry for your loss. In any case, I stand by what I posted above even if a necropsy was done. Can you imagine if everytime a bird dies where there is a dusty one living in the same home we all come to the automatic conclusion that it must have been the grey or cockatoo dust. I felt the need to speak up because this forum is seen by hundreds and maybe thousands per day, otherwise I wouldn't bother adding to it anymore than I had already done.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope this thread does not start a wave of hysteria and panic among folks that have old world and new world birds in the same home.
I wouldn't think raising awareness about a species sensitivity would cause panic and hysteria. The intent of this thread is educational to raise awareness and to encourage members to be proactive and arrange their birds headquarters accordingly.

Last edited:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wouldn't think raising awareness about a species sensitivity would cause panic and hysteria. The intent of this thread is educational, to raise awareness and to encourage members to be proactive and arrange their birds headquarters accordingly.
I know. I hope it will do just that. What it was intended to do.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Well, to be honest, I am embarrassed to say I did feel a bit panic.

With my strongest air purifier not working as it should, the dust on the TV and the tragedy of a member losing her birdie friend. Panic? Yes, I felt that a bit.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Well, it makes sense to me. Mucous is produced in response to an irritant/allergen. Maalik is dusty, so it makes sense to me that it could have been the reason. I'm not in a state of panic; just applying what I'm now learning here to my fids' environment, and also pondering that it could have been a contributory cause for my baby's early demise.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree. I am not in a state of panic either. I just made things healthier for the birds here. :)