• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cardio, Respiratory and Circulatory Diseases

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
What a great thread ML.

Really makes me wish I did not have the cockatoos at work. :( This morning I was on a mission to figure out where to put up a door between the small birds and the macaws.... Now I want a wall built around my cockatoos cages to keep them from the amazons too.

Do you ever feel like everything is trying to kill your birds? :(

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is there anything specific that we can ask our vets to test for next time we visit? I will not make a special trip to get tested, but intend to discuss it at our next vist.

alcmene

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I've always read about Toos, Tiels, and Greys being the dust birds. I have, literally, never seen read or heard anything anywhere about Lovebirds being dusty birds until this thread.

We rescued a lovebird this summer. Who now lives in a cage right next to my sun conure. And now i'm panicking.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
I guess if anyone were to panic,it would be Me:(To say that I have a mixed flock would be an understatement.New world,old world,south america,Africa,ETC.I have also kept birds for more then 30 years and honestly,I did not know about the consequences of keeping the birds that I have together,together for the first 15/20 years that i did it.When I did learn about the danger,I did the best I could to make a safe environment for My Fids. Using placement,fans and an Austin air machine(other cheaper kinds throughout the years).Do I think that this is enough-NO it probably is not.Can I afford to build an extension so I can house the Greys away from the others-NO I cannot.Should I try to rehome Baby and Big-Guy so they can live in a safer place,Yes I probably should.Having Parrots in Our lives is as much about sorrow and worry as it is Happiness,Love and Joy.SO many times through the years I have cried many a tear, lost many nights sleep over the health and welfare of My Fids. With the grape scare a few years ago,the facts about the peanut danger,bird flu bird keepers lung the dangers of using normal household stuff,The list goes on and on:(We all do the best We can and pray for the best.We also worry about what will happen to our babies when we die,I'm thinking perhaps I will shed a good many more tears and have a lot more sleepless nights as I feel very helpless about everything right now.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Bonnie, we do what we can do and that is all we can do. Directing the dusty air away from your at risk birds is one of the best things you can do.

Alcmene _ Panicking doesn't do you or your birds any good. You know what the problem is - now solve it.

Saemma - A stress test at home and another when you go to the vets would be about it. Your vet should be able to hear any respiratory issues when he checks your bird(s) with his
stethoscope.

alcmene

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Easier said then done.

My sun, Lucy, can't be an only bird. She absolutely must have the presence of another bird or else she completely flips out and plucks all her feathers. Being without another bird is the only time she ever plucks.

My kids ADORE the lovebird. Those are the only 2 birds i have, and I can't get another for various reasons.

So my options are:
-separate them and have Lucy lose her mind from being alone
-rehome the lovebird and get Lucy a different non-dusty companion, which would break my kids' hearts
-leave them together, and potentially cause Lucy health issues

There is no possible good outcome.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Lovebirds arent dusty birds. So dont worry about it :)

alcmene

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I never thought so. But they are an African species, so I'm mixing old and new world species of parrots. And the article listed in the 1st post specifically lists them as dusty birds.

My vet is getting a call first thing Mon morning, that's for sure!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Ha. Theyre no more dusty than a Conure. Probably less so because of their size. They make normal feather dander from feathers but nothing like a real dust producing bird like a cockatoo, african grey or cockatiels. Those three birds at the only true dusty birds with real dust style feathers. Other birds are only dusty because of feather dander not real dust producing.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
ok, i get this now. i have a friend, the Avian Angel 'G', who has both macaws and toos. i know that Sam the M2 & Tinkle the U2 live in a separate room on the 2nd floor of her house. they have their own Hepa filter system. the macaws are on the main floor. they are never allowed together period. she brings Sam and Tink to work with her, but they come down the stairs in their own Parrot Island acrylic boxes. should she worry about the short time the toos are on main floor? should she be worried too because the house is on one furance? Just wondering.
:tiel2: and mom

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
It seems that the Macaws are at the top of the chart for being the most vulnerable species of birds to suffer from this affliction. Please don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that the other new world birds aren't also at risk. But from what I've researched since this thread was posted, that's what I'm seeing.

I bought another hepa filter today and have changed around my cages to make certain that all my fids are in the safest environment possible for them. More work for me, but so worth it overall.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Sun conures are also known to be sensitive to respiratory issues

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Mercedez you are spot on about the species of birds that give off bird dust.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I see people on this thread commenting on cleanliness, air purifiers, and the like, and I suppose that's fine. But, I would like to be very, very clear here. I clean religiously, change the cage tray papers every single night and vacuum every single evening. I ran an Austin and a Holmes air purifier, spritzed the grey regularly, and I kept windows open in the summer time. I had ONE African Grey, on the small side, not even caged all that close to my RFM. And, my macaw died from exposure to her dust in three years.

People can say whatever they like, make any sort of rationalizations that they like, but IMO, facing hard facts doesn't constitute a panic.

Clearly, not every bird will react to the dust the way my Zoe did, but, make no mistake, if your bird does, you will not know until it is too late.

I believe it when you say you were as clean as can be. I have zero doubt. We can do our best at everything and things still happen. :(
I know that's disheartening, but we all know it's true. I find no fault of yours. It's not my place to judge otherwise, anyway.

You're an experienced bird owner...not someone wet behind the ears and brand new to bird keeping.

I am so sorry for your loss. RIP sweet Zoe. You have already helped other people with your experience.

Mitzi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle "Mitzi"
Thank you Holiday for sharing about Zoe, it hopefully will save may parrots and owners from what you have gone through. We were keeping all our 7 parrots in the same room but Friday after your post moved our cocaktiel into our room away from the others. We hopefully will not have any problems with our RFMs or conures because of the cockatiel. I am a little concerned as our mini aussie seems to have allergies so may have to move the cockatiel into another spare bedroom is she starts have problems. Thank you again for sharing.
Mitzi

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
What a great thread ML.

Really makes me wish I did not have the cockatoos at work. :( This morning I was on a mission to figure out where to put up a door between the small birds and the macaws.... Now I want a wall built around my cockatoos cages to keep them from the amazons too.

Do you ever feel like everything is trying to kill your birds? :(

In light of recent events I continued doing research into bird disease. Here is one more additional article found.

Lung and Airway Disorders of Pet Birds: Disorders and Diseases of Birds: The Merck Manual for Pet Health

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Mitzi, how of all the birds, you do not want a dusty bird in the same room as you when you sleep.

Because I have allergies none of my birds sleep in the same room as me as this is where one breathes their deepest and at more risk of breathing in particulates. Be careful with your own health as you are with your birds.