• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cape Parrot Check In!!

Rusty

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Russell
Hi,
Wanted to check Willow in also, she's a brown-neck and was hatched on 5/16/12 and she weighs 312 g.

Kacy, I was wondering if you purchased Mali from Maggie at Wing Nuts Aviary if you don't mind me asking? I ask because I remember that you mentioned Mali never lost her coral cap when she was younger like Willow and coral feathers just started popping up on Willow's face a couple of days ago that are starting to look like Mali's.

Attachments

Last edited:

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Kacy, I was wondering if you purchased Mali from Maggie at Wing Nuts Aviary if you don't mind me asking? I ask because I remember that you mentioned Mali never lost her coral cap when she was younger like Willow and coral feathers just started popping up on Willow's face a couple of days ago that are starting to look like Mali's.
That is where she got Mali :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
:faint::faint::faint: I still love them!! Thanks so much for the beautiful update pics and welcome to the gorgeous newcomers!:heart::heart::heart:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I get to post here as an owner! :D

I'm the proud owner of a female Grey headed parrot. Not sure if all the others here are fuscicollis or if there are any other suahelicus..

She came home two days ago.
So far, I can't say much about food preference other than she LOVES peas and is still trying out other foods and doesn't seem to recognize most of them as food right away. She just played with a raspberry for an hour before deciding it was food..

She LOVES to play, she's destroyed quite a number of foot toys since her arrival.

She seems to be a good flyer as well.

Awww..sometimes don't you wish they stayed babies.:heart::heart:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Hi,
Wanted to check Willow in also, she's a brown-neck and was hatched on 5/16/12 and she weighs 312 g.

Mali did come from Maggie! :) And Mali's face is getting more and more coral every day. I love it - so pretty!

Willow is gorgeous!

Rusty

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Russell
Thanks, I thought so, I looked at some past photos and videos of Mali and she and Willow look a lot alike when Mail was younger, I hope Willow's coral feathers come in as nicely as Mali's, a couple of more popped up the other day.

Marsha1987

Moving in
Real Name
Marsha
Hi, I just found this forum and I wanted to check in my lovely cape as well.
My name is Marsha, 26 years old and my cape's name is Skull and he is a 1 year old male, grey headed and weighs 300 grams.
I also have 2 male eclectus who are 3 and 2.5 years old.
We got Skull when he was 6 months old and he is totally parent raised. (no co-parenting)
That is because here in The Netherlands (where I'm from) they are really rare and as far as I know, no one keeps them as pets here, only breeding birds.
So when I decided I wanted a cape it took me a while to even find a breeder and when I did he told me he didnt handle the birds at all so I thought I was going to be in for a treat haha I thought I would have to deal with a scared bird for months and get bitten a lot.
But when the time came to bring him home, he was just such a good boy and after two weeks of taking things slowly, he already stepped up when I wanted him to and he was able to be outside his cage (which was all he knew back then) with the other birds.
He's now living with us for 8 months and he has been an absolute delight! He started talking and is just one crazy bird! The way he talks to us and the way he plays. He isnt cuddly at all but that is just because he is parent raised I guess, because he does want to cuddle with 1 of our eclectus, if he could, he would sometimes blush the way macaws do haha.
He loves to destroy all of his toys and even his java play tree haha, he loves to watch the birds outside and sometimes he likes to nap too when I'm not looking ;)
Everytime he finds a new way to suprise me and he loves to give kisses (he also says kusje which means kiss in dutch, along with a kissing sound ofcourse ;))
Untill this day, he has never bitten me once, not even those first few days, he is just so gentle.
And he drools too whenever he gets sleepy at night.
I came to this forum because here there are more people with capes, in Holland, I have not found anyone who keeps them as a pets like I do, so I hope to hear more stories and pictures of other capes too!

Here are some Skullie pictures and video's

First few days:

After first shower, he looks so ugly yet so adorable haha

Skullie cant choose!

The 3 together

A day at the office

Play tree

Skull with his bedtime drool hanging at the tip of his beak

Haha pictures overload.. And some vids:

Skull being very chatty! - YouTube

Skull very excited about his babble ball - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4gg--pPPJQ

Last edited:

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
Skully is so adorable! :faint: Your Ekkies look huge in comparison.;) They're so cute together.:heart:Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

bicmeister

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
Marsha, your flock is gorgeous!!

Marsha1987

Moving in
Real Name
Marsha
Thanks so much everyone! They really are gorgeous, especially in the sunshine.
Skull is crazy about 1 of my eckies, although Phantom (my eckies are called Phoenix and Phantom) finds him a bit annoying and clingy from time to time. Phoenix and Skull arent friends but they respect each other. Skull just has to stay away from Phoenix his personal space. ;) My boyfriend and I bought the eclectus together but he didnt wanted 3 birds, but I reallyyyyyyy wanted a cape so I bought him on my own and is "my bird".
But the thing is, that my boyfriend fell in love with Skull after a few days and talks about him as if he is a child of ours haha.
everybody falls in love with Skull when they meet him!

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Love the new additions! :)

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Just wanted to bump this thread up! There are so many Cape owners in it that we seldom get to hear from. Would love to hear some more updates :) There's also a small but proud Facebook group that Natacha (@Shade) and I moderate called "Cape parrots." Please join if you will!

Here's a recent photo of Lola!
upload_2014-11-30_11-44-4.png

ariana&mia

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ari
Bumping this because i want more pictures!:laughing12:

redbarnmacaw

Sprinting down the street
I am just about to put down a deposit on a male cape. I've sense heard they have a glass shattering contact call. Is that true for any of you cape owners? I need to hear it some how to be sure this house can handle it? I know I don't like conures for there noise's ... but the macaw (at least my B&G) has a deep scream & a happy playfull shrill that last simple seconds. I thought for sure we were sold on the cape. :confused:

lamagdalena

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
I am just about to put down a deposit on a male cape. I've sense heard they have a glass shattering contact call. Is that true for any of you cape owners? I need to hear it some how to be sure this house can handle it? I know I don't like conures for there noise's ... but the macaw (at least my B&G) has a deep scream & a happy playfull shrill that last simple seconds. I thought for sure we were sold on the cape. :confused:
Join the facebook page Cape Parrots mentioned a few posts up for more cape owners to comment. (i do not have a cape)

Marsha1987

Moving in
Real Name
Marsha
Yes, join the facebook page since many cape owners reply there!
Dont get confused with the Cape Parrot Project cause that one isnt about pet capes.
But a short answer to your question, I have two capes and sometimes there noise can be annoying when they start together but thats hardly ever and its certainly NOT glass shattering.. I've had Eclectus too and capes are a breeze compared to that