• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cape Parrot Check In!!

thejoie

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
Now that we're going to have a small population of Capes on the forum I thought I'd start a check in thread!
I'll begin with some general info about Capri.

She hatched March 31st 2010. She weighs 315 grams and she's been home for a week now :)
She lives in a Kings Double macaw cage.
Her diet consists of Roudybush pellets, a dry mix of foods, almonds, walnuts, pecans, and of course fresh foods.
So far her favorite toys include EVERYTHING! She has toy ADD!! When I put her on the climbing net that has several toys on it she runs from one to the next.

She is flighted and is SO good about her flight. She maneuvers so well and her landing is amazing! She's never been clipped.

She loves watching outside. I push her cage by the window and she watches everything out there.

Her vocalizations are amazing and intricate. She cracks me up with her "boooiinnngggg" noises. I love how she always "speaks" to me when she seems me coming. I love how she speaks to her toys when she's really playing physically with her toys.

I love how she cuddles. You hold her and she snuggles against your cheek. She wants to be held close. She wants to be with you. She'll have her fill of cuddles and then fly back to her cage to go back to play with her toys!

In short- she is the dream bird. She is perfect. I included my favorite pictures :)

I can't wait to hear more about Piper, Fannie (if she's still here!!) and my Capri's sister Lola when she comes home!! And of course others if we have more!

Attachments

Bethany

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
Capri is adorable! :hug8: I love Capes, is it just me or do they look a little like monsters with their almost-too-big beaks :lol:

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
:omg: Joanna if you keep showing that very cute and beautiful baby, I am going to want one:lol: She is beautiful:hug8:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Joanna you make me want to add a cape to my dream bird list.. Capri is amazing. Beautiful, smart, funny, and the list goes on! She is amazing, and my heart gets warm and mushy whenever I read up on her, and see pics!:heart:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
In just a few weeks I will be able to post photos and add all of Lola's info too!!! :)

Lola is Capri's sister. Our breeder's name is Maggie Tarleton, she runs a small, home-based aviary called Wing Nuts Aviary. She is quite exceptional :)

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
She is FABULOUS!

Trust me, I can't wait for you to bring your Lola home too. I'm already so excited for you because those first few days when you're in absolutely awe are really amazing. I can't wait to share "favorite toys" and watch Lola grow up too.

Mercedez- I'm telling you right now that I had some high hopes from all the wonderful things I've read in my research. And Capri surpasses them ALL!

Erika- she's 315 grams. I'd say about the size of a Timneh? Except that her body seems a bit more "stocky" and her head bigger.

Eliza

Jogging around the block
I thought of all of you un-Cape peeps this past Saturday. I went up to BP and they had 3 babies. One was still rather young and in with a Jardine's (who was equally adorable) and two were playing with a couple of greys.

They really are something! Such a unique parrot :)

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I thought of all of you un-Cape peeps this past Saturday. I went up to BP and they had 3 babies. One was still rather young and in with a Jardine's (who was equally adorable) and two were playing with a couple of greys.

They really are something! Such a unique parrot :)
I think the two older ones are the same two that I met back in February or March... and were the two that made me realize I *need* a Cape!! I was going to settle for a different species because I was very deterred by the price but... after meeting them, I couldn't resist :o: I knew I would never be satisfied until I got my Cape!! :heart:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I am in love Joanna and I love how happy your are with her..:heart: She is just adorable beyond words..I love reading your posts.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I am seriously considering a Cape as a future bird after watching videos of Capri. She is so adorable!

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I've wanted one for a few years now.
Hopefully one day....

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
So quick Capri update!

She has gained 10 grams!!! She's now 325 grams! Today my sister came over to help me clean the bird room and Capri immediately went to get some love from her. The last time she's seen my sister was about 2 weeks ago... but she had no hesitation. Capri wanted to play and Martha was there so it was a done deal!

Watching her play in the bird room is awesome. She flies from the net to her cage to the playstand and back again. She'll even fly around the net just to get to the other side!! She's amazing!
She definitely loves her toys too. She's just now starting to play more with wooden toys. Foot toys are still a favorite. I want to put some plexi glass on top her cage so she can have a few foot toys on top there to destroy. We have TONS now after the SWS!!
Her talking is getting better, though she seems to only do it when she wants to! She's starting to mimic my whistling too and clicks. She says "Hey baby" and "what're you doing?" but she's also mumbling lots of different things too! It's crazy how fast she learns.

She's stubborn. The other day I was eating a waffle and she was on her cage. She saw me eating and immediately was landing on the table and stealing my food!! lol!! I put her back and before I knew it- she was back!!

Lately she's been more clingy. She wants to be loved on and interacted with. She loves peekaboo. She loves to be held and snuggled. She just wants to be with you!!

It's so hard to resist her. She's perfect.

BayuCah'ya

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emily
I have four "pipe dream" birds that I desperately want to round out my flock (and then STOP adding birds to my flock after those four), and Capes are on the tippy-top of that list. Thank you so much for posting videos and stories, because until I can get one of my own, experiencing yours vicariously is about as good as it can get for me!

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
Emily- you will not be disappointed when that day comes! I'm happy to oblige until then!!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
:heart::heart::heart: Love love..I am in love:heart::heart::heart:
I saw three at the show Sunday..two boys and a girl. I wonder what the boys are like? I am so happy to see you happy Joanna.:hug8:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I guess it's time to add Lola!!

Here's my beautiful girl... she is Capri's sister, the third baby in a clutch of three by parents Sam and Sophie. She was hatched on April 1, 2010-- my April Fool's baby!! She certainly fits the profile. She is so goofy and lovey and wonderful. And SUCH a little wood chipper. Makes me feel like money well spent on toys... and much more to be spent keeping her busy :o:

Carol S.

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Checking in with Fannie! I sent you a message as to why I haven't been on in a long, long time. Im so excited for you both! Such beautiful babies. You took some awesome close ups, mine are never that clear. Im not much of a gadget person and struggle with cameras, phone and computers. Im glad to hear you are socializing it gives them the best start. I wish I had more brave people her weren't so intimidated by Fannie's huge beak. I try to explain that my conure packs a meaner punch but they don't believe me. We'll here are a few yucky shots I just took:

Attachments

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
@Joanna - Just so you know... I didn't even think to reply, but you mentioned Capri's weight earlier, well I tell you what. Didn't I just go out into the kitchen and grab my kitchen scale, then started putting things on it to get to the vicinity of 315-320g. lol, I believe I got there with a couple containers of spices. :shakehead:
I just love following all the fids and parronts on here. Even if we find out one day that I'm the proud new parront of a... a... chicken! I must say really enjoy learning all the ins and outs of the different species~
Oh yeah, and I LOVE all the pics of the capes, they're fun! And I don't have the SLIGHTEST idea which Fannie might be, though I think I read somewhere that one tends to have more orange on it's wings? Well, and the brown necked has more brown supposedly and the grey headed has more grey? I dunno... lol