• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Canary question

Arnesio

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello all,

i just got two canaries as a present, one male and one female of different colour, so i checked and the male is a Timbrado while the female is a Malinois.

Is it ok to have different canry races together, can they stay together ???

I noticed that the male one sings every day. The female one sung only once, so I thought it was a male but checking it seems 100% female.

strange thing i noticed is that sometimes when the male sings, the famel would stop him, is that normal ?

thanks.

CWPajaro<3

Meeting neighbors
Hello!
I had a canary a while back, and I wasn’t sure about the gender until he was incessantly singing.
Canaries generally don’t have distinct characteristics between males and females, and it looks like that holds true for the breeds you mentioned, though I only did a quick search and I could be wrong. How are you determining that your female is “100% female”?
As far as I know, the males sing while the females do more of a chirp. I could be wrong, but if the female’s song sounded similar to the male’s, she might be a he.

In regards to your question, I don’t think canary “races” are a problem, but I know that their gender definitely matters.

A google search brought me back to an old thread on the “Canary & Finch Court”!
Here’s the link:
Can multiple canaries be in the same cage?

The thread was started by someone who I think ended up getting parakeets, but I think the info they collected is helpful!
In addition to saying

“2 females yes
male/female yes
2 males no way”

They go over egg laying and other female bird subjects, and they also cover some of the worries the person who was looking into getting canaries had.
They also go into a bit more depth about the pairings of different genders of canaries.

I also wanted to ask what do you mean when you say the female stops the male from singing, and if have you seen them fighting.

P.S. sorry if I am coming off as snotty, this is my first post answering someone’s questions like this, and I am by no means an expert on canaries.
But I do know some stuff, and google is a dear friend ;)

Last edited:

CWPajaro<3

Meeting neighbors
I was reviewing the Avian Avenue guidelines to find an answer to a question I had, and under the section “Tips for posts” I found this:
If you don't know enough about a topic, don't post

It gets more specific about whether or not you’re sure about something, and whether or not you’ve done extensive research on the subject, among other things. It also mentions that if you’re starting out a sentence with something like “I think” then you should probably let others post instead of posting yourself.

I violated a few of these, if not all, in my last post.

I encourage you to take a look at the thread I linked (where more experienced people answered the questions) and wait for others who know more to answer your questions.
I hope you have a good day!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Much like any other bird, you can have problems housing even the same species together and there can also be issues housing different species together- it will totally depend on your particular birds and also your set up, the more room they have to get away from each other, the more food and water stations, the more nesting spots and perches etc the more likely a mixed flock will live together in peace but even in the best case scenario (a huge aviary with everything they could need and want) sometimes birds just have problems with other birds.
I am not sure of specifics regarding canaries and the best ones to keep together or separate but I have known of people in the past that have had to separate or rehome finches and also canaries as they did not fit in with the flock - all the people I know of in the past who did this only removed the bird who caused the most problems in the aviary unless it was already in a pair then they just gave the pair their own cage.

Let me think on what member/s I can tag for you- I will come back and tag them if I can think of who would be the best help for you as I am not so sure @finchly will get my tag and she is who comes to mind anytime the weeny birds are mentioned.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Hello!
I had a canary a while back, and I wasn’t sure about the gender until he was incessantly singing.
Canaries generally don’t have distinct characteristics between males and females, and it looks like that holds true for the breeds you mentioned, though I only did a quick search and I could be wrong. How are you determining that your female is “100% female”?
As far as I know, the males sing while the females do more of a chirp. I could be wrong, but if the female’s song sounded similar to the male’s, she might be a he.

In regards to your question, I don’t think canary “races” are a problem, but I know that their gender definitely matters.

A google search brought me back to an old thread on the “Canary & Finch Court”!
Here’s the link:
Can multiple canaries be in the same cage?

The thread was started by someone who I think ended up getting parakeets, but I think the info they collected is helpful!
In addition to saying

“2 females yes
male/female yes
2 males no way”

They go over egg laying and other female bird subjects, and they also cover some of the worries the person who was looking into getting canaries had.
They also go into a bit more depth about the pairings of different genders of canaries.

I also wanted to ask what do you mean when you say the female stops the male from singing, and if have you seen them fighting.

P.S. sorry if I am coming off as snotty, this is my first post answering someone’s questions like this, and I am by no means an expert on canaries.
But I do know some stuff, and google is a dear friend ;)
I was reviewing the Avian Avenue guidelines to find an answer to a question I had, and under the section “Tips for posts” I found this:
If you don't know enough about a topic, don't post

It gets more specific about whether or not you’re sure about something, and whether or not you’ve done extensive research on the subject, among other things. It also mentions that if you’re starting out a sentence with something like “I think” then you should probably let others post instead of posting yourself.

I violated a few of these, if not all, in my last post.

I encourage you to take a look at the thread I linked (where more experienced people answered the questions) and wait for others who know more to answer your questions.
I hope you have a good day!
Sharing your own experiences can be helpful for some questions asked, and also, sharing links from other threads (like you have done) that may happen to have the information asked for is another way to help, so sometimes even you do not know the exact answer you can still help by sharing like you did- you can also tag other members who you might happen to know have great knowledge on the particular topic being discussed :)

fluff86

Walking the driveway
I'm no expert, but from what I currently understand, female canaries don't sing although I could be wrong... I bought a canary hen which I paid double for but on the way home I noticed it was starting to sing but the two males I bought remained silent. I guess the only way to find out is time. If it starts singing every day then its likely going to be male.