• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can multiple canaries be in the same cage?

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm still deciding between canaries & budgies. I'd like to learn more about canary behaviour. Can 2 or more (2 males/ 2 females/ 1 male & 1 female) share a cage year round? I read that males fight & the male/ female combo only works part of the year. Is this true? What about 2 females?

Though I love their song, I'd hate to think I'd selfishly gotten a male whose songs weren't for me, but for an absentee hen who'd never materialize.

:ycanary::ycanary: or just :ycanary:?

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you! That makes things easier.

Will the male still sing if there's a female around?

Can you stop them from breeding somehow without endangering their health/ messing up their moult?

Will 2 females bother laying eggs or is this a good way to not have to worry about that?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Males will sing, period. If a hen is nearby but not in the cage, he will sing more than if she's in his cage. With no hen, he still sings.

If you don't want them to breed, don't supply a nest. They'll make one anyway sometimes in the feeder, and you can either replace the eggs with plastic eggs or boil and put them back.

2 females, you might have the occasional egg. With the right conditions (lighting + rich foods) they might create a nest and sit on it. Just wait it out, or change conditions (or sometimes just rearrange the cage) to get them to stop. So you will have fewer eggs/nests, but not necessarily zero.

Reactions: tka

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks, finchly. Not sure what to think. I'd not have the heart to steal/ boil eggs. & if they caught me at it, they'd dislike me. :( & I seriously don't want the stress of babies or finding them homes.

I've also been reading about taming them. Some people say it's stressful, some say impossible, some say it kills them young. :eek:

Budgies are sounding frankly easier, especially for someone with no experience.

I love the idea of canaries, but I'm no longer convinced I'd like the reality. I was leaning towards them, because they're actually domestic. I * want * a bird. I don't need one, so it seemed more fair to choose a domestic species. I also like the idea of an ethical breeder right in my city!

But it seems like domestic though they be, budgies are better suited for captivity. Canaries sound hands off & very much like their routines are more set in stone (too much light kills them, wrong lighting = no moult, want to breed not just be friends, etc.). They sound better suited to a zoo/ aviary/ breeding environment than a home.

I'd first thought to get canaries 20 years ago. & now that it would be feasible, it's a bit of a let down to think I'm not suited to them. However, I'm endeavouring to work through my feelings. Better to find this out before getting them, rather than after!

This research has lead me to wonder about the suitability of territorial birds for captivity, to be honest. Well adjusted flock birds who get to fly seem to readily adapt to homes. Not so sure about the others. I'll still do some more thinking, but am seriously leaning towards budgies at this point.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Follow your heart.

I would like to gently guide you to better resources though. Canaries aren’t that hard to keep, and yes lighting is important just as with all birds. But I don’t believe that rumor (yes I’ve read it too) that light kills them.

You can tame canaries, especially if you start young. There are ways to do it that aren’t stressful just like budgies or any other bird.

Many of us with canaries let them fly or keep them in aviaries. Sitting in the aviary watching and listening is so calming. I couldn’t do without my little guys.

However I agree that you should probably get a budgie since you want a bird that’s more interactive.

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I have been letting Melon out most of the time, and he's really starting to follow me around and we have little squeaky conversations. I was absolutely positive he was telling on the foster dog this morning. He loves the enrichment I've found for him, and puts himself to bed almost every day. He's quite a character, but I'm sure he's not an exception to the norm. (but he's exceptional to me, for sure!)

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you, finchly & Monaco! I appreciate your advice & the time you've taken to help me. :) I'm still considering, will probably go with budgies & get a canary later. It might appreciate the birdy company anyway. I love the idea of a canary tattle tale. :D

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Thank you, finchly & Monaco! I appreciate your advice & the time you've taken to help me. :) I'm still considering, will probably go with budgies & get a canary later. It might appreciate the birdy company anyway. I love the idea of a canary tattle tale. :D
Haha, me too! I think it's just because he knocked around the succulents that Mel likes to chew. If only he would tell me *all* of the secrets...

DirtyBirdy

Moving in
I'm still deciding between canaries & budgies. I'd like to learn more about canary behaviour. Can 2 or more (2 males/ 2 females/ 1 male & 1 female) share a cage year round? I read that males fight & the male/ female combo only works part of the year. Is this true? What about 2 females?

Though I love their song, I'd hate to think I'd selfishly gotten a male whose songs weren't for me, but for an absentee hen who'd never materialize.

:ycanary::ycanary: or just :ycanary:?
Hi.

DirtyBirdy

Moving in
Hii
I know what you mean. Parakeets are very noisy and destructive. Training one is easier than more in the same cage. They need a lot of activities and can be rewarding. Some can talk. Canaries together can happen or not. Even some hens never get along. Cocks can be very aggressive towards others or not. Plenty of flying room is a must. You can train a lone canary with a lot of patience. A lot of patience. If you put them together, observe and be prepared to separate them.Many problems can happen around breeding time which commonly happens in early spring. Nothing is absolute. Use your good judgment.