• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Canary fledglings having seizure episode i need help - sad update #52

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
also one of the fledglings developed what looks like an air sac rupture i think the fledgling accidentally injured himself during his seizure episode last week. He is fine now but the what looks like a bubble is still there but there’s a problem and that i can’t go outside now and idk how to treat it or whatever is needed to get rid of it.
If it is a rupture, you cannot treat it. There's nothing you can do.

Can you show me a photo?

And, thanks for updating us! We do care, and we worry about your little ones. :) Glad things are going better.

jam123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joanne mike
i saw some videos and read some articles about air sac ruptures and they said that it can be let’s say removed using a needle so like the vet will insert a needle in the “bubble” and suck the air out. also all vets are closed so i was wondering if the procedure can be done at home. he’s sleeping cuz it’s night here i’ll take a picture tomorrow of him tomorrow morning

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
i saw some videos and read some articles about air sac ruptures and they said that it can be let’s say removed using a needle so like the vet will insert a needle in the “bubble” and suck the air out. also all vets are closed so i was wondering if the procedure can be done at home. he’s sleeping cuz it’s night here i’ll take a picture tomorrow of him tomorrow morning
I knew it!
Please don't do that. It is risky at best. I know you can probably find people who say they've done it.... just.... don't.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Leave it alone. Nine chances out of ten it will reduce by itself and if it doesn't it will not hurt a thing.

DO NOT MESS WITH IT. YOU DON'T HAVE THE APPROPRIATE ANATOMICAL KNOWLEDGE, PROPER TOOLS, ANESTHESIA NOR THE ABILITY TO PROPERLY DISINFECT WHAT EVER YOU USE. JUST DON'T.

jam123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joanne mike
i
Leave it alone. Nine chances out of ten it will reduce by itself and if it doesn't it will not hurt a thing.

DO NOT MESS WITH IT. YOU DON'T HAVE THE APPROPRIATE ANATOMICAL KNOWLEDGE, PROPER TOOLS, ANESTHESIA NOR THE ABILITY TO PROPERLY DISINFECT WHAT EVER YOU USE. JUST DON'T.
i wasn’t gonna do it i was just asking if it’s safe, so should i just leave it? i mean will it go by itself ?

jam123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joanne mike
I knew it!
Please don't do that. It is risky at best. I know you can probably find people who say they've done it.... just.... don't.
so will it go by itself ? cuz what if it gets worse

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
so will it go by itself ? cuz what if it gets worse
It should go by itself. It will be slow.

If it gets worse, it will die. But it most likely will not get worse. If you puncture it, it will die.

jam123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joanne mike
what
It should go by itself. It will be slow.

If it gets worse, it will die. But it most likely will not get worse. If you puncture it, it will die.
what will die? the bird? lol wait, the bird or the “bubble”?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

jam123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joanne mike
The bird, if you puncture the air sac.

?
no i won’t i’m not crazy, i’m not a doctor. Hope it goes away by itself cuz this poor baby went through a lot i don’t want him to get sick again.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
no i won’t i’m not crazy, i’m not a doctor. Hope it goes away by itself cuz this poor baby went through a lot i don’t want him to get sick again.
Then why in the heck did you even ask about it. I'm serious - are you?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
The thing is, by trying these little science experiments on birds we can cause them to suffer unspeakable pain. It’s just not fair.

I know you probably want to help, and it’s hard to sit on our hands and do nothing. But in this case, it’s the correct thing to do.

jam123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joanne mike
The thing is, by trying these little science experiments on birds we can cause them to suffer unspeakable pain. It’s just not fair.

I know you probably want to help, and it’s hard to sit on our hands and do nothing. But in this case, it’s the correct thing to do.
i’m not trying anything, i’m not gonna kill my bird it’s cuz i saw some videos of doctors doing that so i was like what if it’s safe at home, i’d never do that i’m not an expert

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
While I don’t work now, one of my very first experiences practicing medicine in the avian world was with this procedure. I can assure you firsthand that sterilization practices are paramount. I remember the vet specifically telling me that we are there to fix an issue while making sure not to introduce a new one.
(@Hankmacaw side note: This was actually Dr. Driggers who came to my hospital to teach us avian techniques and randomly also tumor removal on a hamster. He was very patient with me, a still in college student :rolleyes:)
But to the point the effort of tools being properly autoclaved prior to being properly handled and then the bird receiving the proper monitoring during and after can’t be overstated. Not to be a downer. I can see you’re not planning on doing it but rather just asking a question. Just sharing my experience.

Are no vets open even during normal hours? I know my local exotic vet is not doing wellness exams but they are doing everything else. I would try calling Monday morning after businesses open.

Last edited:

jam123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joanne mike
While I don’t work now, one of my very first experiences practicing medicine in the avian world was with this procedure. I can assure you firsthand that sterilization practices are paramount. I remember the vet specifically telling me that we are there to fix an issue while making sure not to introduce a new one.
(@Hankmacaw side note: This was actually Dr. Driggers who came to my hospital to teach us avian techniques and randomly also tumor removal on a hamster. He was very patient with a still in college 18 year old me :rolleyes:)
But to the point the effort of tools being properly autoclaved prior to being properly handled and then the bird receiving the proper monitoring during and after can’t be overstated. Not to be a downer. I can see you’re not planning on doing it but rather just asking a question. Just sharing my experience.

Are no vets open even during normal hours? I know my local exotic vet is not doing wellness exams but they are doing everything else. I would try calling Monday morning after businesses open.
everything is closed including vets. plus we’re under a curfew so idk tbh but thank you for sharing

jam123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joanne mike
this is a picture of him. he’s still recovering

Attachments

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I understand the curfew but medical emergencies, even for pets, are permitted everywhere as far as I know. (Speaking only for the US)

If it’s energy appears to be improving that’s great! :) But just my opinion... if that were my bird, it looks quite rough and I’d get it to a vet.

Can you let us know what city you’re in so we can help find an available vet? (Sorry if I missed it in the thread somewhere.)

Last edited:

jam123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joanne mike
I understand the curfew but medical emergencies, even for pets, are permitted everywhere as far as I know. (Speaking only for the US)

Just my opinion... if that were my bird, it looks quite rough and I’d get it to a vet. If it’s energy appears to be improving that’s great! :) But that litte bird should really be seen.

Can you let us know what city you’re in so we can help find an available vet? (Sorry if I missed it in the thread somewhere.)
Yeah tbh but he’s doing good he’s jumping eating and idk he’s recovering pretty well so i hope it goes away. I live in beirut and all Vets are closed i tried calling every single clinic, they’re all closed. I mean aren’t there any vets here? in this website

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I’m sorry all the vets are closed.

I’m not sure if there are any vets on here, but I know it’s not possible to do much over a forum unfortunately. Vets aren’t generally able to prescribe anything or make a diagnosis without actually seeing the patient. I know there are some sites that currently offer telemedicine but having never tried that myself I’m not sure how much help they’d actually be.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I am confused.

everything is closed including vets. plus we’re under a curfew so idk tbh
You said this 13 days ago;
we’re under a curfew and all vet clinics are closed
But saw a vet;
i took them to a vet
Is it possuible to return to the same vet you saw recently? Call them and explain what is going on?
I don´t believe any vet would turn their back on a chick if they heard you were having problems.