• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage frustrations, or making an indoor aviary?

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
I think it's the cakes that can't be trusted.;)

Last edited:

kastelling

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Megan
I feel your frustration. I'm the same way with my hawkhead - I'd love to get her a larger cage than 36", but I don't want to go bigger than 3/4" bar spacing either. I'm considering going the custom SS cage route, once I save enough money. Hopefully someone can chime in and help both of us.
Hey, the website says this comes in 5/8 bar spacing, which is a little smaller then 3/4.... That would be a good size! Are they not making it in that spacing any more??

kastelling

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Megan
Last edited:

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hey, the website says this comes in 5/8 bar spacing, which is a little smaller then 3/4.... That would be a good size! Are they not making it in that spacing any more??
If you're talking about this cage: King's Cages - Avian and Pet Bird Cages, Supplies, Food, Toys, Perches, Aviaries, Pluck No More

Then no, it seems like they're not making it anymore. They told me it's not in stock, and it's not even on their purchase order so they don't know when (or if) they'll be getting it anymore. There's not enough demand to warrant it, apparently. It's not a very popular model. But like I said, I know LOTS of people who would buy that cage in 5/8" bar spacing in a heartbeat. Maybe if we can drum up enough interest, they'd stock it again. It's my IDEAL cage (short of SS).

Last edited:

kastelling

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Megan

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Don't get that tiny mesh. Cleaning will be a bear! Poop and dried on food will get stuck on every single cross piece. The 2x0.5 is a much better option. :)

kastelling

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Megan
Oh man, you guys. My silly boyfriend in encouraging this "making your own cage" obsession that I now have. We spent over an hour on youtube watching videos on how to do powdercoating at home. (The verdict? Powder coating at home is surprisingly easy for small objects, but more difficult for larger objects, as it's apparently very difficult to get the larger objects sufficiently heated to cook the coating.)

Has anyone heard anything about using appliance enamel paint on cages? Someone on a facebook ground said she knew a parrot rescue organization that used this all the time with great success. It dries very hard, don't know that my birds could pick it off, and it would mean using a cheaper wire mesh as the base, and easier to clean....

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
There is no such thing as safe paint... in my opinion.

SunUp

Avenue Veteran
Check around...there may be a powder coating business in your area. I used to know someone who would buy the mesh-type breeder cages and take them in to a local shop and have them powder coated.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I have had two cages re- powder coated. Mine were the first, and probably only cages they have done. They did a really good job, which I figure is because they do mainly high end car parts.

Patricia Rossi

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
PLBR
Hi all, haven't been posting in a while, but my birds are doing great. I am wishing I could get a bigger cage for the cakes at some point in the next year or two. They are currently in a 36 wide. I would like to go for a 40 inch, maybe...but Norah is a little thing, I don't know if I feel comfortable with her in anything bigger than 3/4 inch bar spacing. All the bigger cages have inch wide bar spacing. :(

I was also considering trying to build or make a large cage or indoor aviary type thing. I have exhaustively been researching what others have done, but it looks like everything is geared towards finches or budgies (I worry about my two chewing on the wire or mesh) or macaws/cockatoos (bar spacing too wide). I am pretty imaginative, and my boyfriend is darn handy with power tools. I was picturing a frame from pvc, or possibly wood, sitting straight on the floor, using vinyl on the ground to cover the carpet. But I cannot find a good material for the sides!

Any thoughts?
Love my parakeet flight cage, a man on Amazon made it to my specifications. I wanted part plexi and part small spaced stainless steel. Now that I have had it awhile there are a few changes I would make. I'd find a better wood than pine as mine have chewed the whole inside that they can get to. If anyone can recommend a better wood that the birds won't chew up as badly I would love a recommendation.

Attachments