• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage frustrations, or making an indoor aviary?

kastelling

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Megan
Hi all, haven't been posting in a while, but my birds are doing great. I am wishing I could get a bigger cage for the cakes at some point in the next year or two. They are currently in a 36 wide. I would like to go for a 40 inch, maybe...but Norah is a little thing, I don't know if I feel comfortable with her in anything bigger than 3/4 inch bar spacing. All the bigger cages have inch wide bar spacing. :(

I was also considering trying to build or make a large cage or indoor aviary type thing. I have exhaustively been researching what others have done, but it looks like everything is geared towards finches or budgies (I worry about my two chewing on the wire or mesh) or macaws/cockatoos (bar spacing too wide). I am pretty imaginative, and my boyfriend is darn handy with power tools. I was picturing a frame from pvc, or possibly wood, sitting straight on the floor, using vinyl on the ground to cover the carpet. But I cannot find a good material for the sides!

Any thoughts?

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I feel your frustration. I'm the same way with my hawkhead - I'd love to get her a larger cage than 36", but I don't want to go bigger than 3/4" bar spacing either. I'm considering going the custom SS cage route, once I save enough money. Hopefully someone can chime in and help both of us.

Rabbit

Walking the driveway
Depending on budget you could go straight Acrylic with holes drilled in for air flow. Large acrylic sheets can be purchased from some hardware stores, and it would ensure the Caique mess would be reasonably contained. However, they could not climb the sides unless you carved into it, and working with acrylic, though not too tricky, is time consuming. Individual bars can be purchased, but would require some experience with metalwork. Its tricky to build a cage for the smaller, destructive guys! If anyone else has any ideas, feel free to post, as I love a good project, and this sounds fun!

kastelling

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Megan
I found this on pinterest: bird toys, etc / Would love to make something like this for the caiques!

I LOVE the look of it. Obviously, it would need to be tweaked for slightly bigger birds, but I love how they reused parts of a smaller cage to incorporate feed stations. Very clever. I can't find who made this, though. :( Not sure what the material used is, or if it would work for my climbing fools. I definitely would need some sort of feeding stations, though, so my poor pet sitter could feed and water without getting her fingers taken off. :rolleyes:

Buckbeak

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I love that budgie aviary, Megan. Is there any reason you couldn't find a more suitable wire meshing for the caiques? Maybe stainless steel chicken wire if such a thing exists?

kastelling

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Megan
From what I can find, meshing or wire panels are hard to find or very expensive in stainless steel. Chicken mesh, or basic wire panels from home depot, etc, can have possible metal poisoning issues, zinc, etc. Not a huge concern for finches, etc, but for larger birds who chew/climb/beak everything, it's a little scary... :eek:

Celia58

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
What about buying one or two of those cheaper wire cages(like the breeder cages) and take them apart.Use shower tile or pvc board for the back of the cage.A wood frame with the cage pieces for the sides and front.Or the front could be acrylic.

Or buy two flight cages and put them together somehow to make one long cage.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here's another option. Get an AA Multi Vista cage and the expansion unit, and configure it into one giant cage.

Avian Adventures Multi Vista Bird Cages - Multi Vista Bird Cage - FREE SHIPPING!

It's not very pretty (but neither is a double flight cage), nor very cost effective, but much cheaper than going the custom SS route. Plus, if you shop around, I'm sure I've seen it for cheaper than the link I gave above.

kastelling

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Megan
I was looking into buying several cheap cages, just to use the panels to make my own cage... But the panels are made for smaller birds- the wiring is flimsier, not as sturdy. I used to work at a pet store, I have put together many of the cages on the market, so I have a good idea of what they "feel" like. :lol: I worry about mine getting toes caught, etc. They spend all their time climbing and swinging, so I have to plan for whether toes can get caught! :rolleyes:

That cage is pretty cool, and size-wise would be good, but for $600 plus dollars, I think I would rather just keep saving and go for a custom one.

But I really feel like there has to be a viable solution to make my own.... *sigh*

Celia58

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Wow those Avian adventure cages are cool but for the price you could almost get one of those cagesbydesign cages.

Yes the wiring is flimsy on those, I have two I use for emergency cages. Its just too bad you cant use wire mesh(hardware cloth).Things would be much simpler.

Another option is the critter nation by Midwest cages.I think they are stackable like the ferret nations but are half inch bar spacing. Never mind they are only 36 inches wide so wouldnt buy you anything.

I found this site on aviary building.
http://www.naturalbird.com/index.ph...rd-enclosure-faq&catid=36-resources&Itemid=63

Last edited:

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
Do you want it floor to ceiling? If so, since you are building inside and don't have to worry about predators, I think you could use bird netting.g.

kastelling

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Megan
I'm not sure I am familiar with bird netting..? Is it like the netting you wrap tomato plants in so the birds and bugs can't get to them? Or something else? My concern with netting would be that my ladies would chew right through it! :p

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
This is what Kathy is talking about. It comes in nice long and wide sizes making it very easy to use and install for a very seamless application.

Build a huge frame with PVC and cover it in mesh. I agree that since its inside you can go with something other than steel mesh.

This product is very strong (you can choose your strength). I won't say they can't chew a hole in it but they would really need to work on it for quite a while to make a hole.

Another consideration with a large enclosure like this is that the larger it is the less likely they are going to spend any time on that mesh/netting. Supply lots of rope highways, large perches, shelving etc. and they may never go on the mesh at all.

If your going to provide a room sized aviary, personally I would just bird proof a room and give them that. Easier to do and probably cheaper.

http://www.jacissel.net/gambirnet.html

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
There are macaw sized cages available with small bar spacing, like the one I have for Kismet, or the one that Elfe has is a double flight cage. The caiques would not be able to break the wire. Both of these have 1/2" bar spacing.
Elfe's cage 64X21

Kismet's cage 40X30
{this is an older photo, but shows the whole cage}

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
That's a good cage. I have the xtra large A&E corner for Cochise, and we love it.

sthiele

Budgie Bunch
Real Name
Steve
I'd say it really depends on the bird if they can pop the welds on a double flight. I had to get rid of my A&E flight cages because Tucker had no problem popping the welds on them.

kastelling

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Megan
This is what Kathy is talking about. It comes in nice long and wide sizes making it very easy to use and install for a very seamless application.

Build a huge frame with PVC and cover it in mesh. I agree that since its inside you can go with something other than steel mesh.

This product is very strong (you can choose your strength). I won't say they can't chew a hole in it but they would really need to work on it for quite a while to make a hole.

Another consideration with a large enclosure like this is that the larger it is the less likely they are going to spend any time on that mesh/netting. Supply lots of rope highways, large perches, shelving etc. and they may never go on the mesh at all.

If your going to provide a room sized aviary, personally I would just bird proof a room and give them that. Easier to do and probably cheaper.

http://www.jacissel.net/gambirnet.html
I will check that link out, thanks! Maybe that will work!

I don't really want a room sized aviary, it's just for two Lil Caiques! But I DO want a bigger cage for them someday soon, and it's very hard to find bigger cages, with smaller bar spacing, that aren't a million dollars. :what: plus, they share a room with a rabbit, and my other bird Perry, and they are NOT trustworthy. :lol:

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

kastelling

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Megan
Would this be okay? King's Cages - Avian and Pet Bird Cages, Supplies, Food, Toys, Perches, Aviaries, Pluck No More

I called and asked not too long ago, and it was still in stock. Apparently, if you call and ask, they can give you a slight discount.
Ooh, that is pricey, but might work, if I decide I can't make something. Thanks!

There are macaw sized cages available with small bar spacing, like the one I have for Kismet, or the one that Elfe has is a double flight cage. The caiques would not be able to break the wire. Both of these have 1/2" bar spacing.
Elfe's cage 64X21

Kismet's cage 40X30
{this is an older photo, but shows the whole cage}
I like the double flight cages, but what I get in extra width, I lose in height, which my cakes do use in their cage. Kismet's cage is cool, though! Who's the manufacturer?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2