• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Buying from a pet store

ZteveBond

Walking the driveway
I wasn't sure if I should post this in the health area of this site because while I believe my bird is sick its not physical. I am an extremely new bird owner,(only having my peach faced love bird for three months) after I'd done my research about lovebirds all that was left was to get one. living in a small town and not knowing of any breeders it seemed that my only option was to get one from a pet store (it was only until last week that I found a breeder in town.) so I went to my local petsmart to see what they had and they just so happened to have two rosy faced love birds. I went to text my parents (who were lending me some money) and that's when it happened... the instant I pulled out my phone both of them started going crazy, flying all around their cage trying to get away, I quickly put my phone back, slowly walked away and then texted them. The lovebirds freaking out should have been my first clue, my second clue should have been when the store was selling them for 50 dollars off. when I asked why they said their supplier was having a sale. so I got one of the lovebirds and took him home. Leo is still jittery, this bird does not want to bond! I've tried everything, I've read him books, fed him his favorite treats, let him out, I leave his door open so he can explore as he wishes but he still freaks out when I slowly raise my hand around him. It wasn't until a few weeks ago that I learned the reputation of the store. One of my friends got a budgie from there a few years back, after two weeks they found out the budgie was sick and passed away. Luckily Leo hasn't shown any signs of sickness but you never know. I was talking with someone who knows about birds so I was explaining the trouble that I was having bonding with Leo and so he asked me where I got him, after I told him he had a look of shock on us face, turns out one of his friends works there and while the employees know what they are doing, the costumers do not. almost every day grandmas come in with kids and don't pay attention to them. so the toddlers go around, poking their fat little fingers through the cages, shaking them ETC. its honestly depressing to think about because the employees try to get them to stop but there are usually different kids and they cant keep track. After three months I'm starting to have doubt that Leo will ever heal and I'm worried that he will be traumatized by humans forever, which I can't blame him for. a solution that I've read about is buying another lovebird, bonding with that one and hope the lovebird passes on that we wont hurt them to the traumatized one. But as a broke student I don't know if I can afford another bird. now I don't want there to be any confusion, Im very glad that I was able to save Leo from that awful place but I just don't know what to do. any suggestions?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Awww that is very sad. If I had my wish pet stores would stop selling any living animal, including fish. Both the environment and the care (if any) are not conducive to enrichment and health. I know some will disagree with me. Most of the budgies and other species sold in pet stores are from mass breeders who breed only for pet trade. These birds have little to no contact with humans. Then these babies are put behind glass and have all the different faces and hands coming at them must be very frightening. Hopefully your little guy will eventually come around.

ZteveBond

Walking the driveway
thank you very much, I appreciate your support, I'm just very lost. I have no idea what to do or how to help him, I just want him to feel safe.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
It takes a LONG time for some birds.
Maybe even a year or more.
You can't force ANYTHING, don't push him.
I suggest you go to The Animal Behaviour Centre website or their FB group and read everything they offer for free. She also does Coffee with the Critters every Sunday morning on FB. That is free.

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
I can't find the video that I watched but it said that you need to teach your bird that the hand isn't dangerous.

Just by sitting next the cage with one hand on one side for 15 minutes everyday until the bird is confortable. Then you switch sides repeating the process, then the top, back and front of the cage. Once the bird is comfortable with that, you then repeat the process but inside the cage (not going near the bird or trying to pet them) you are touching the inside of the cage only. Once the bird is comfortable with this you then offer millet from the hand at a far distance, getting closer until they are eating out of your hand (This process should be taken very slowly).

Good luck with Leo

ZteveBond

Walking the driveway
I think I know the video you are talking about, and yeah Ive been trying that

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
How's he responding to it?

ZteveBond

Walking the driveway
terribly, and my hand hasnt even gotten inside the cage yet, I've been using this technique since I first got him three months ago. I noticed that nobody is responding to if getting another lovebird is a good idea or not, what do you think?

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
I had a similar predicament to you but with a budgie. I tried hand taming him for four years, just never worked out. I decided to get him three friends and It was the best decision I have made.

So the first thing you would need to do is locate a suitable bird. Then you need to quarantine them for 4 weeks minimum in a different cage, in a different room, they should have no contact what so ever. Always wash your hands between them.

Obviously there are risks like them passing illness on, not getting along, increased costs and potential death for one or both of them.

I would say consider it but think with your head not just your heart, put your bird first but don't risk their health. If you are introducing birds going slower is better.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
terribly, and my hand hasnt even gotten inside the cage yet, I've been using this technique since I first got him three months ago. I noticed that nobody is responding to if getting another lovebird is a good idea or not, what do you think?
First of all, thank you for caring enough about your lovie to ask questions. It sounds like he has had a really bad start. A friend of mine rescued a bird who was abandoned in a apartment (the owners left and left him in his cage with no food or water) and years later the bird is better but is not a cuddly bird. Getting another lovie can be good for your bird but your lovie may bond to the bird and not you (which is the case with my friend's bird) or they may not like each other at all. @fluffypoptarts has a lot of lovies and will be a great source of info

ZteveBond

Walking the driveway
I had a similar predicament to you but with a budgie. I tried hand taming him for four years, just never worked out. I decided to get him three friends and It was the best decision I have made.

So the first thing you would need to do is locate a suitable bird. Then you need to quarantine them for 4 weeks minimum in a different cage, in a different room, they should have no contact what so ever. Always wash your hands between them.

Obviously there are risks like them passing illness on, not getting along, increased costs and potential death for one or both of them.

I would say consider it but think with your head not just your heart, put your bird first but don't risk their health. If you are introducing birds going slower is better.
thanks for the advice, what kind of bird friends did you get your budgie?

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Three other budgies. Although my budgie is 6 and these guys are about 1-2 years old.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
My original budgie from a pet store. The others from a store that breeds all different types of birds.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I know three months seems like a long time, but it's not really. Where do you keep your bird's cage? How much time do you spend with him a day? What time of interaction do you have with him? I would continue to spend time with him sitting with him and talking to him and reading to him. You can try putting a perch just outside the cage door with a favorite toy or treat to encourage him to hang out outside the cage. I wouldn't put my hands in his cage except as needed but instead would try to feed him a favorite treat through the cage bars. Another love bird would likely make him happier but it might not make him bond with you any better. And they may have to be housed separately. There's no guarantee any 2 birds will get along and might not want to share a cage. So that's something to consider- that you may need 2 cages. Just be patient with him and thank you for giving him a good home. :)

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Please don't give up on Leo. It will take some time for him to trust you and relax into his new home.
Just keep things calm around him and whistle to him and speak softly to him.
Thank you rescuing him from the pet store.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I second the Animal Behavior Center. They have a you tube channel

ZteveBond

Walking the driveway
I know three months seems like a long time, but it's not really. Where do you keep your bird's cage? How much time do you spend with him a day? What time of interaction do you have with him? I would continue to spend time with him sitting with him and talking to him and reading to him. You can try putting a perch just outside the cage door with a favorite toy or treat to encourage him to hang out outside the cage. I wouldn't put my hands in his cage except as needed but instead would try to feed him a favorite treat through the cage bars. Another love bird would likely make him happier but it might not make him bond with you any better. And they may have to be housed separately. There's no guarantee any 2 birds will get along and might not want to share a cage. So that's something to consider- that you may need 2 cages. Just be patient with him and thank you for giving him a good home. :)
I have his in my room, close to a window. I spend a lot of my time in my room, while I'm doing homework I'll explain to him what I'm doing and chirp at him. I have yet to learn how to whistle but I'm working on it. unless I'm changing his water I never put my hand in his cage because he has food bowls that connect from the outside. I haven't really found a treat of his that he LOVES yet, ive tried giving him apples and bananas but he doesnt seem to be a big fan. the petstore was transferring him from a seed diet to a pellet one (that I was finally able to finish off last week). I am aware that what I'm about to say is going to sound depressing but I'm doing the best with what I have. Leo doesnt have many toys. I had to buy his current cage from someone I found online and it wasnt until after I bought it that I found out the bars were to wide, which led to him escaping. we had to buy some wire mesh around his entire cage that unfortunately made alot of his perches unusable because thier stems were to short to fit through the mesh AND the bars. I'm currently saving up so that I can just build him a cage and after thhat get him some nice new toys but until then hes stuck with a swing, a bed, two wooden perches, a jingly toy and a sandpaper perch. I wish I could get more for him but until I can get a job this is the best I can do. he also has a mirror but I am keeping that out of his cage until we bond.