• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Buying from a pet store

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Speaking of avian vets, it would be good to find out where your closest one is. And yes, they are definitely expensive, which is one reason I said in my earlier message that I thought it would be best to wait on adding any other birdies. :)

I’ll keep my fingers crossed that you get the job!

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I definitely found that my scaredy bird warmed up a lot more to human interaction when he was introduced to my other bird, who is hand tame and loves people. A birdy friend is a worthwhile investment if you can swing it, but you may wish to wait until things settle a bit more for yourself and for Leo.

Patience and consistency are key. Parrots like routine, and Leo will become comfortable with your presence over time. Keep reading to him, offering treats (have you tried millet?), and giving him time out with you around.

I used to sit by Anakin's (my green bird) cage when he was new to my house and have his bowl of food outside of his cage nearby to where I sat. I wouldn't ever stare at him front on, and prettt much just tried to look like I was ignoring him. Eventually he would muster up the courage to eat from it, and eventually it was a total non issue. I moved it closer and closer every day until he was eating out of it on my lap. Took a while, but now he will fly to my shoulder and ride around with me, and takes treats from my hands. He's still fairly flighty and doesn't like hands very much, but some birds are just like that. You can tell when they're happy and comfortable with their surroundings, and that's the most important thing.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Your lovie is a cutie. You can make all kinds of toys. They don't have to be fancy. I even have a bowl in the bottom of bird's cage (previously there was a basket but he destroyed it, LOL) filled with little things he can forage through- crinkle paper, wooden beads, an almond, etc. You can even take Dixie cups, if you can find them without wax, fill them with things. Then put a paper cover and poke some holes on top and hang for him to forage and play with. Also, you can often find some cheap cages on sale on craigslist. You just have to make sure you clean it well before letting your bird use.

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
This has been mentioned earlier but since you're thinking of building a cage you need to know most metals are coated with zinc to prevent rust and zinc can kill a bird. You need stainless steel, aluminum or powder coated metal for all things birdie. Even some toys made with metal parts are zinc coated. I ordered replacement parts that were stainless or nickel plated on the internet for all my bird toys to be safe

ZteveBond

Walking the driveway
This has been mentioned earlier but since you're thinking of building a cage you need to know most metals are coated with zinc to prevent rust and zinc can kill a bird. You need stainless steel, aluminum or powder coated metal for all things birdie. Even some toys made with metal parts are zinc coated. I ordered replacement parts that were stainless or nickel plated on the internet for all my bird toys to be safe
Yeah I’m aware, I defenitly don’t want to poison him, I’m going to have to be careful when getting the materials

Last edited: