• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie Loose!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Sometimes they join a flock of sparrows which is a smart move. However he is an easy target for a predator.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Even though I knew the outcome of this video because she shows the caught budgie right away , it was such a cliffhanger and great entertaining content! That bird found the perfect yard to eat with the sparrows from! :)
And no one ever claims him so she has another video when she releases him into her bird room after quarantine. She named him Jack Sparrow.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I'm going to record some budgie chattering on my Mimic Me tonight. It's only a short recording but it will loop until the batteries wear out.
The sun's just going down now. I put out a bunch of extra food and water in s/s bowls hoping they'll look familiar to him. So far only the 2 blue jays that nest in one of the big trees in my front yard have helped themselves to a snack and a drink out of the bowls.
The neighbors probably think I've lost my mind! I've been wandering around outside all day looking up at the trees yelling Hello, Come Here, Step up, Pretty Bird, etc. Maybe one of them will call the men in white coats with big nets to come get me. Then at least I could borrow their nets to catch the budgie! Lol!!!

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
I'm going to record some budgie chattering on my Mimic Me tonight. It's only a short recording but it will loop until the batteries wear out.
The sun's just going down now. I put out a bunch of extra food and water in s/s bowls hoping they'll look familiar to him. So far only the 2 blue jays that nest in one of the big trees in my front yard have helped themselves to a snack and a drink out of the bowls.
The neighbors probably think I've lost my mind! I've been wandering around outside all day looking up at the trees yelling Hello, Come Here, Step up, Pretty Bird, etc. Maybe one of them will call the men in white coats with big nets to come get me. Then at least I could borrow their nets to catch the budgie! Lol!!!
:lol:“Runs towards them giggling manically oooo a net time to catch the pretty birdie! (Snatches net and runs away) pretty bird pretty bird”

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
If you can find him it's easier to catch him in the dark. Sparrows doesn't always sleep that high, so if you are lucky you can just grab him.
You can use a flashlight to locate him. A big net is also working if he is on the ground. (in daylight)
Can you place that carrier higher up? It's not that common that they land on the ground in new environment.

Good luck! :goodluck:
Maybe one of them will call the men in white coats with big nets to come get me. Then at least I could borrow their nets to catch the budgie! Lol!!!
So smart! :jillone::embarassed:

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I hope you get him! Maybe @hrafn would have something to chime in? I'd suggest setting the carrier on a chair or something, or even something taller if you can (and it will be stable). Zipties might be your friend here.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I thought maybe a table would be good to set it on. I wish I could rig a big net to drop over the whole thing!

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah I'm thinking that the cage should be higher too. Good luck! Keep us updated.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Any updates? :hug8:

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I've been out searching again this morning but I haven't even spotted him yet. The sparrow flock is still here eating but the budgie is nowhere in sight. I'm going to keep checking for him though. It's quite windy out so maybe he's laying low cuz he's probably not used to flying in breezy conditions like this.

I've ordered a big fishing net on a long pole. It's over 2' wide. Should be here today. From now on I'll be prepared to rescue who ever flies my way!