• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie breeding/incubation questions......

Beanurita

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Melissa
Yes! @melissasparrots I was just told that on a Budgie forum!! They said that Loshi must be split to Ino and that would make Baby an Ino GIRL since it's sex linked. If I understand right that for it to be a boy both parents would have to be visual INOs which isn't the case here. I'm waiting for further explanations on this to better understand the gene thing but for now it looks like we will have an Ino GIRL who by they was has been a full little girl today! Parents have figured it all out!

Egg #3 is due tomorrow so I'm glad they have figured it out but will still keep an eye on them!

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
:starshower1:BABY 2 IS HATCHING AS I TYPE!!!:starshower1:

Robyn watching me closely while I take a few pics of Baby 2 hatching and happy to see that Baby 1 is FULL!!

Robyn.JPG robyn1.JPG

See Egg #3 with it's cracks and even can see Baby 2 moving around inside!!

Baby 1 28Sep.JPG Baby 2 hatching 1.JPG Baby 2 hatching 2.JPG Baby 2 hatching 3.JPG

Baby 1 looks like she has a smile on her beak :yes4: Baby 2 hatching.JPG
Baby 1 encouraging Baby 2 to come out and play!!:cheer:

Baby 2 hatching 4.JPG

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
The final count down!!!!
Baby 2 hatching 5.JPG Baby 2 hatching 6.JPG

BABY #2 HAS ARRIVED!!! Sibling snuggles!!! My goodness ~ the size difference is amazing to see!!!
Baby 2 has arrived 1.JPG Baby 2 has arrived 2.JPG Baby 2 has arrived 3.JPG

Baby 2 has arrived.JPG

@melissasparrots I totally see why you thought Baby #1 is going to have the pink/red eyes!! And after reading more on how the lutino gene works, I get it! And look at those eyes on Baby #2!!
Baby 2 has arrived 4.JPG Baby 2 has arrived 5.JPG

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations on the hatching on baby #2. Very exciting. Cute little ones. Looking forward to updates on their growth.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Looks great. Congrats on baby #2. Have you been supplemental feeding the older baby? That looks like watery formula with an air bubble type crop.

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
Looks great. Congrats on baby #2. Have you been supplemental feeding the older baby? That looks like watery formula with an air bubble type crop.

Not supplementing Baby at all so that's all mom and dad's doing......I did notice that as well though! I have been watching in between feedings and it does go down :)

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
The size difference is amazing!! Baby #1 DOH 25 Sept and Baby#2 DOH 28 Sept.......3 day make a huge difference!!!! WOW

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
That was so exciting. I just read the entire post and Yoohoo.

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
So I know that Egg#1 (laid on 5 Sept) is infertile base on clear candling.....

QUESTION IS: How long do I leave it in the nest with the other 2 babies??

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Unless it starts to turn a funny color or cracks, I'd leave it in until the babies are over a week old. It gives them something to huddle up with and acts like a hot water bottle when the parents are out of the nest.

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
No weird color, smell or cracks so it stays for now! Thanks!!

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
SAD NEWS.......Baby #2 has past away in the night :sorrow: We are all sad but glad we had the tiny bit of time with Little One that we did! Rest is peace Little One 28Sept15-30Sept15 :angelic:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So very sorry for your loss of the little one. :(

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry.

Matt

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
Thank you!! Sad that we lost the Little One but Baby #1 is doing great! Well fed and a plump little one! She will be a week old tomorrow! I'll post updated pics soon :)

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry for your loss. Were the parents feeding it? Usually small birds will feed several babies but some pairs have a thing were they will only feed one or a certain number.

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
Sorry for your loss. Were the parents feeding it? Usually small birds will feed several babies but some pairs have a thing were they will only feed one or a certain number.

I did see some food in the crop but I don't think it was enough.....there was some the day/night before. I did try to handfed at bedtime but I couldn't get Baby to open the mouth :( and was planning on trying again the next morning. I'm guessing that Baby #2 just didn't get enough in the 1st 36 hours. Baby #2 also seemed smaller that Baby #1 did at the time of hatching. Also, if you remember when I candled the eggs it look like Baby #2's egg had 2 air sacs....It just didn't look right all through incubation and I was actually very surprised that it even hatched. I think there was something wrong from the start :( With that said, this is also Robyn and Loshi's (both less than 2 yrs.) 1st try at "parronthood" so that could have played a hand in the demise of the "Little One" as well.

On a happier note......Baby #1 is getting big and is 8 days old today! (Will post pics soon) Mom and Dad are taking good care of her and she is sell fed! Eye will start opening in the next couple of days and feathers will start to grow too!! Since she has pink/red eyes we should start to see yellow feathers coming in by the end of next week!

Last edited:

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
She is officially 1 week old! Well she is actually 8 days old today!! So we should have some color by the end of next week!! Can you see the feather growth starting on her rump?!!

Baby #1 8 days old.JPG Baby #1 8 days olda.JPG

On a side note........

1. The egg that is left in the nest is the first egg that was laid on 5 Sept......Baby LOVES to snuggle it still! There are no cracks, smell or discoloration to it at this point.....do I really need to remove it at this point? It was advise that I remove it when Baby is a week old but since the egg still look fine without problems already mentioned and there are no siblings, I just wonder if I "need" to remove it?

2. Since Baby has pink/red eyes and its a sex linked mutation for INO....is she going to be "yellow" "creamino" or "white"? is that a "toss up" and anyones guess or is it based on her parents (pics on first pg as well as pics of Robyn's parents) color? Since we know she is a girl I think we have a name but that depends on her color
Budgie genetics are so confusing but add the INO into it and I'm pretty much lost (yet again) at this point! At least I understand now why she is INO.....and that's where it stops for my understanding! LOL

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I see no problem with leaving the egg a while longer. I am no help regarding predicting her mutation. I have never really looked into budgie genetics all that much. She's looking great though. By this time next week, she will look like a different bird.