• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Brown headed behavior help

likeaarbear

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aaron
Hey everyone, I hope you are doing well. As the title suggests, I am in need of some help with my little brown headed guy. I am sorry about the wall of text incoming...

To start, his hatch date is 4/28 of this year (6 months old in just three weeks). I got blood work done, everything came back negative, so all healthy there. His weight fluctuates, with me taking him home at 122 grams. I weigh him just about every morning after potty and every night, and his weight stays between 116-122. It has never gone below or above these numbers.

Our routine goes as follow. If I work a PM shift (2pm-11pm), he comes out of his cage for about 30 minutes every morning (between 7am-8am) after I see him eat a little from his bowl (I change his food and water here). I let him roam around my apartment, being supervised of course, and offering him fresh fruit or vegetables. Usually eats a little bit, but not much. After this roaming, he goes back in his cage for I would say about three hours or so? I let him out again, do clicker training, talk to him, even take him on a walk with a harness. So overall, I interact with him another hour here. I change his water again before I leave, and add something to his third bowl, either pellets separately or veggie/fruit.

If I work in the morning, I change his items, and he stays in his cage until 4:30pm (ouch here). I'll take him out right away for a few minutes, put him back so I can eat and shower, then after he eats, I'll take him back out and just do something mellow with him near by.

Cage setup: one food bowl mix of seeds, nuts, pellets, one bowl with rotating veggies or extra pellets, and one water bowl. Has three toys that are rotated with other toys suspended from the top of his cage, and two at the bottom of his cage. His cage measures 24x22.

SO NOW THE ISSUES.... he screeches none stop almost every single time I put him away. And this is new, which is why I am making the post. These screeches are very loud. The first few days, I walked over after about two minutes the screeching began, made sure everything was okay, no visible blood, I didn't pick him up and but I ran my finger around him to make sure no broken bones, and visibly, he seemed okay. Nothing out of the ordinary for the cage.

The screeches, from what my family tells me, continue all day too. I don't think they are non-stop, but my mom tells me that if I am working in the AM, he screams for a majority of the time I am gone (8 hours). Sometimes, she will roll the cage out to the living room (he sleeps in my room with me), but my boy won't stop screaming outside there too.

Sometimes when I take him out in the morning, he will just sit there and scream at the top of his longs for several minutes while I try to interact with him to quiet down a little.

TL;DR; I am having screaming birb issues that just came in the last two weeks that will not stop. Could it be related to age?

I really do not mind the screams at all, but my neighbors in apartments I am sure can hear them. I have not been talked to yet, but before I got the bird, I spoke with the leasing officer, and if I get a compliant, the bird is out.

Please feel free to ask me anything, I will be as transparent as possible about this. I was so excited to welcome him into my life, but I am worried I could lose him. I want to try to fix these issues before the worst case scenario comes.

Thank you for reading.

Edit: Forgot to include, he has a little calcium block that IS being chipped away, so I am sure he is consuming it.

He has three types of perches in his cage, total of six going in all directions.

Veggies include broccoli and carrot slaw, shelled snap peas, leafy greens (never touches these though), banana, raspberries, blueberries, and grapes.

Last edited:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Parrots are animals that in the wild never are alone and separated from their partner.
When they are alone they feel lost and abounded. And also alone means dead in the wild.

He is screaming because he don't want to be alone, and yes you can teach them to accept that, but IMO that is wrong.
When I read your post, it strikes me that he is out, he is in his cage, he is out, he is in his cage, he is out, he is in his cage, he is out, he is in his cage...
You leave him so many times so he will feel more abounded for every time you leave him.
If you only wants 1 parrot you must allowed the parrot to be with you all the time. And don't put him back and forth in his cage.
You can shower with him, you can do many things with them, and it is you that have chose him so you must change every routine you had before to new ones that suits him.

likeaarbear

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aaron
Parrots are animals that in the wild never are alone and separated from their partner.
When they are alone they feel lost and abounded. And also alone means dead in the wild.

He is screaming because he don't want to be alone, and yes you can teach them to accept that, but IMO that is wrong.
When I read your post, it strikes me that he is out, he is in his cage, he is out, he is in his cage, he is out, he is in his cage, he is out, he is in his cage...
You leave him so many times so he will feel more abounded for every time you leave him.
If you only wants 1 parrot you must allowed the parrot to be with you all the time. And don't put him back and forth in his cage.
You can shower with him, you can do many things with them, and it is you that have chose him so you must change every routine you had before to new ones that suits him.
Yes, I let him in and out of the cage. Is that something I should not be doing?

I cannot obviously take him to work with me. The reason I let him in and out is to let him eat. But it seems my logic here is wrong.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So a parrot in the wild would do a few things everyday:

1) Forage for Food
2) Interact with the flock
3) Fly several miles

and sometimes 4) mate and build a nest

So I try to figure out how I can tick as many of those boxes as possible.

1) Foraging for Food is easy to give and should always be part of their day. If you give them food, they eat, are done in 10 minutes and then....what? A huge portion of their day in the wild would simply be looking for food. I usually give fresh veggies "for free" in a bowl as well as a little pellets, and everything else they have to find around their area.

2) Interact with the Flock. That's you! A parrot in the wild is very unlikely to be by itself, especially a juvenile still learning. So if I am home, the cage door is open. They want to be near you. Where is the cage located? Birds generally like to be right in the center of the action so they aren't alone.

3) Fly several miles. Is your bird clipped? Are there areas outside of the cage he can go to and from (playstand, swings, etc). With all of the food we give them, they have ample energy and they need to burn that off

4) well you don't want to be a mate, but destroying toys is part of the nest building action. What kinds of toys does he have right now, and does he play with them?

They are wild birds and thinking from that point of view often helps.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The reason I let him in and out is to let him eat. But it seems my logic here is wrong.

Why does he need to be closed up in the cage to eat? Can there be an area away from the cage that he can eat?

likeaarbear

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aaron
So a parrot in the wild would do a few things everyday:

1) Forage for Food
2) Interact with the flock
3) Fly several miles

and sometimes 4) mate and build a nest

So I try to figure out how I can tick as many of those boxes as possible.

1) Foraging for Food is easy to give and should always be part of their day. If you give them food, they eat, are done in 10 minutes and then....what? A huge portion of their day in the wild would simply be looking for food. I usually give fresh veggies "for free" in a bowl as well as a little pellets, and everything else they have to find around their area.

2) Interact with the Flock. That's you! A parrot in the wild is very unlikely to be by itself, especially a juvenile still learning. So if I am home, the cage door is open. They want to be near you. Where is the cage located? Birds generally like to be right in the center of the action so they aren't alone.

3) Fly several miles. Is your bird clipped? Are there areas outside of the cage he can go to and from (playstand, swings, etc). With all of the food we give them, they have ample energy and they need to burn that off

4) well you don't want to be a mate, but destroying toys is part of the nest building action. What kinds of toys does he have right now, and does he play with them?

They are wild birds and thinking from that point of view often helps.
1) So the mix I give him, how can you recommend I make him "find" his food? Any ideas?

2) His cage is in my bedroom, where I spend most of my time. Door is open as well, he usually climbs to the top, and then "flies" to my bed. I usually take him with me when I am doing things like getting ready for work or cleaning.

3) Wings are clipped yes. I have not gotten him a swing yet because the breeders told me he was a little to young still. I do not have a play stand. He wonders all over the tables and floors, climbing.

4) Several wood toys, some with Chinese finger traps, two with bells, a "pinata" like toy, and pop-sickle sticks. These are all mixed together. He has seven toys, three in his cage at a time, with a new one being rotated every other day.

When we are outside and I am cooking for example, he watches me obviously. Most of this time I give him snap peas that he destroys.

likeaarbear

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aaron
Why does he need to be closed up in the cage to eat? Can there be an area away from the cage that he can eat?
Once I set him out, I personally have not seen him return to his cage to eat.

I think I am thinking he is more hungry than he really is. Thanks for allowing me to realize that.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
1) So the mix I give him, how can you recommend I make him "find" his food? Any ideas?

2) His cage is in my bedroom, where I spend most of my time. Door is open as well, he usually climbs to the top, and then "flies" to my bed. I usually take him with me when I am doing things like getting ready for work or cleaning.

3) Wings are clipped yes. I have not gotten him a swing yet because the breeders told me he was a little to young still. I do not have a play stand. He wonders all over the tables and floors, climbing.

4) Several wood toys, some with Chinese finger traps, two with bells, a "pinata" like toy, and pop-sickle sticks. These are all mixed together. He has seven toys, three in his cage at a time, with a new one being rotated every other day.

When we are outside and I am cooking for example, he watches me obviously. Most of this time I give him snap peas that he destroys.

Foraging toys :) There are plenty out there that would work for a Brown head. These can be plastic ones are ones that are made to be destroyed. So anything dry can be put into a toy he has to search for. Some examples on my website: Foraging Toys | Lil Monsters Bird Toys

So during the day, is anyone in your bedroom or is he alone? If he is alone, and he can hear other people in the house, he is calling them to say "HI FLOCK! Come get me!!" Can the cage be moved to the living room during the day? Or a playstand added to the living room so he can be out there with everyone else?

A swing can be a boing. I have used these with birds since 3 months old on. I put one up in every room so the bird can always be near if they choose!

I think I am thinking he is more hungry than he really is. Thanks for allowing me to realize that.

Give him a place outside of the cage that he can eat too. This can just be a bowl on your bed or the table; something he can get access to if he needs it.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Just thought I'd toss this in as well, since we're talking about foraging/working for fresh food. This blog has been a very valuable resource for myself and many others: Creating Foraging Opportunities – Part I – Getting Started | Parrot Enrichment Blog

I personally adore these mini skewers for food and toy parts alike: Mini Foot Toy Skewers - From Seriously Nutz Bird Toys - Serious Parrot Toys for the Heaviest Chewers
There's a couple different styles and longer ones here: Welcome to cabirdnerds.com -

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I posted in your other thread.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Can you get him a small play stand?

likeaarbear

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aaron

Foraging toys :) There are plenty out there that would work for a Brown head. These can be plastic ones are ones that are made to be destroyed. So anything dry can be put into a toy he has to search for. Some examples on my website: Foraging Toys | Lil Monsters Bird Toys

So during the day, is anyone in your bedroom or is he alone? If he is alone, and he can hear other people in the house, he is calling them to say "HI FLOCK! Come get me!!" Can the cage be moved to the living room during the day? Or a playstand added to the living room so he can be out there with everyone else?

A swing can be a boing. I have used these with birds since 3 months old on. I put one up in every room so the bird can always be near if they choose!

Give him a place outside of the cage that he can eat too. This can just be a bowl on your bed or the table; something he can get access to if he needs it.
Yea, when I am not home and others are, he is rolled out into the living room with his cage doors open.

I will go ahead and get that coil!

likeaarbear

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aaron
Just thought I'd toss this in as well, since we're talking about foraging/working for fresh food. This blog has been a very valuable resource for myself and many others: Creating Foraging Opportunities – Part I – Getting Started | Parrot Enrichment Blog

I personally adore these mini skewers for food and toy parts alike: Mini Foot Toy Skewers - From Seriously Nutz Bird Toys - Serious Parrot Toys for the Heaviest Chewers
There's a couple different styles and longer ones here: Welcome to cabirdnerds.com -
Thank you for your suggestions, will read. :)

likeaarbear

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aaron
@Mizzely

I like the toys you have to offer on your site, along with the foraging ones. I am going to place an order for a few toys tomorrow. They are inexpensive and look nice! Thanks for showing me that.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I absolutely can. Any suggestions? Does it matter?
I like the Java wood tabletop stands but it's important you purchase from a place where you can see photos of the stands that are available and also find out the diameter of the perches. Check around....My Bird Store - Discount Exotic Bird Supplies - mybirdstore.com does that and I also think that My Safe Bird Store | Discounted Bird Products | BIRD FREE ENVIRONMENT| Free Shipping Available might still be doing that.
Matto makes some nice stands and play areas: A Parrot Should Play - Home He is an AA vendor and you might want to wait and see if there is an upcoming special AA sale where the vendors offer nice discounts. (shhhhh....not sure about this although it is the Fall and it is October :D )

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@Mizzely

I like the toys you have to offer on your site, along with the foraging ones. I am going to place an order for a few toys tomorrow. They are inexpensive and look nice! Thanks for showing me that.

Thanks! Hope you find a new favorite :) My friend's Brown Head really likes destroying the dinosaur shapes :lol:

likeaarbear

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aaron
I like the Java wood tabletop stands but it's important you purchase from a place where you can see photos of the stands that are available and also find out the diameter of the perches. Check around....My Bird Store - Discount Exotic Bird Supplies - mybirdstore.com does that and I also think that My Safe Bird Store | Discounted Bird Products | BIRD FREE ENVIRONMENT| Free Shipping Available might still be doing that.
Matto makes some nice stands and play areas: A Parrot Should Play - Home He is an AA vendor and you might want to wait and see if there is an upcoming special AA sale where the vendors offer nice discounts. (shhhhh....not sure about this although it is the Fall and it is October :D )
I REALLLLLY like stands Matto makes. They seem perfect. I am eyeing "the indulger".

Thank you for showing me this.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!