• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breeder for rose Breasted Cockatoo

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great that the rescue got back to you. Wonder what her rationale was for recommending the Goffin's? I would think you might want the sun conure even though you might be getting the baby. Hope that everything works out and that you can get a bird from them. You did a wonderful job with the manzanita play stands.

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
Great that the rescue got back to you. Wonder what her rationale was for recommending the Goffin's? I would think you might want the sun conure even though you might be getting the baby. Hope that everything works out and that you can get a bird from them. You did a wonderful job with the manzanita play stands.
Thank you so much! It was fun making them. The wood was beautiful so it was easy to make it. The hardest part is attaching it to base.
I didn’t ask for a cockatoo from her, she asked a lot of questions and said she “ I wouldn’t normally recommend a cockatoo , but after listening to what you are looking for , I felt it would be a good choice.” This Goffin is very gentle, not too noisy and very very cuddly.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Keep us update. Sending good thoughts that things will work out with whichever bird you choose/chooses you.

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
Thank you! I too think which vet bird or birds are meant for us will be. This has been a trying experience, but it’s all worth it to find my forever birdies .

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
This is from the rescue today , she sent me this email. Hope I pass the home inspection. I have been trying in my own even before to parrot proof my house , some of the suggestions I followed came from you all here is her email. Maximilian Pionus.

Just wanted to share this update we got from the foster home about Spike:

5 days in update: Spike is such a great bird, and after the first afternoon, exceptionally docile (zero cage aggression!). Today he flew to hubby, and happily hung out on his arm while we watched Netflix. He stepped up for both my 8 year old and 5 year old (under supervision). He is making good progress in clicker training, too.
He loves just to be around people. We leave his cage open all day, except for a few hours when the lovebirds fly, and he just hangs out on top, doesn't wander or get into anything.

He likes chewing on wood, so I'm going to make him some wooden chew toys this weekend.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sounds good. You might wind up getting a Pionus.

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
When I originally was trying to figure out what parrot might be best I thought the Pionus be too quiet and hands off .
I wanted a bird that was more affectionate and interactive. This guy seems pretty sweet , we’ll have to see if he likes me

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When I originally was trying to figure out what parrot might be best I thought the Pionus be too quiet and hands off .
I wanted a bird that was more affectionate and interactive. This guy seems pretty sweet , we’ll have to see if he likes me
@Eloy and @Dartman have Pionus and they know a lot about them

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
I met the 13 year old Pionus from the rescue yesterday very sweet and gentle. I liked him a lot and he liked me . I’m going to see him again on Monday. I also met a 25 year old Goffin today from the rescue also who is so sweet! All she wanted to do was preen my hair and get scritches when she met me. I’m going to see her Tuesday again. I’m considering giving up my deposit on my again baby after all the warnings about sexual maturity and how it changes the Amazon’s .
I called the pet store to tell them I was going to let go the sun conure I had a deposit on and the lady told me it had died yesterday! I couldn’t believe my ears ! I saw it yesterday with my daughter after visiting the Pionus and it seemed fine. They never called to tell me! Awful! She’s making me wait to get my deposit back until the owner returns, even then I think that will try to keep the deposit . I told her I was interested in a rescue and could I get my deposit back? Figuring it was hopeless , but worth a try. She only said absolutely not! I told her a have s friend who was I. The store today and going to buy a cockatiel baby next week and she might want my sun conure. Could I pass over the deposit to her? She said no! Then I said I would buy the sun conure and sell it to her if she wanted it. Then she said in a grumpy voice , “ it’s dead”. I said “What”! She had to repeat herself 3 times before I could believe what she said! First off this is my second baby bird that died before I got it home, second she wasn’t going to tell me! Horrible the whole sordid thing! I feel awful for the little conure and angry at the store for not calling me first and then for withholding the truth when they thought they could keep my deposit and I would never know the bird had died !
Anyway, I’m considering both the Pionus and the Goffin of course in separate cages . Both are supposed to be good with other birds and children.
I’ll met you all know what happens in the next few days . I love the idea of saving two birds . I’m so glad I reached out one more time to the rescue. They really have been trying after they dropped the ball.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I do hope that things work out with the Pionus and/or the Goffin's. Something sounds fishy with the conure. Weird that you asked her about the deposit and she doesn't immediately tell you the bird passed away. In fact you should have been contacted and the deposit refunded. If it's true that the conure has passed, that is sad but I am questioning this based on you not be contacted and the way this person responded.

BTW, did they do a home visit? I am assuming they did since you got to visit with the birds.

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Omg!! That's awful, I'm so sorry about the little Sunnie. RIP little bird. I wouldn't shop from there after how they acted, are they a store or a breeder? Either way, I'm so sorry :(

I'm glad things are going so well with the rescue birds!

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
The store was a bird shop, but I think they don’t breed their own babies . They said they cane from Texas . It’s totally weird ! They should have called me yesterday when I died and today not mentioning it right away when I called awful! They knew me , my name and what bird I had a deposit on. She was very unfriendly and adamant about my not getting my deposit back. I understood that part, but then when she realized I might still get the bird to sell to my friend she told me in a vet uncaring way, I had to ask her to repeat herself 3 times , I thought I was hearing it wrong! I’m going to give a piece of my mind to the owner if she gives me trouble with my deposit. I would go so far as file a claim in small claims court ! It’s not right !

The home visit went great on Friday . No problems at all ☀

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
I wonder if she lied because she didn't want you to sell the bird? Either way, I'd make a complaint; because if the bird you put a deposit on passed, they should return the money. Unless I'm mistaken. Either way; that's really cruddy of them.

Yay! So glad that the home visit went well! Congratulations! :)

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Oh no that poor conure. That whole situation sounds suspicious. I would go to small claims court too.. holy moly!
________

I am very glad you found a rescue. What a nice situation :) I am super excited that the house visit went well. I hope you get to bring home one of those birds. It is really a privilege to get to connect with a bird before you bring them home.

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
I wonder if she lied because she didn't want you to sell the bird? Either way, I'd make a complaint; because if the bird you put a deposit on passed, they should return the money. Unless I'm mistaken. Either way; that's really cruddy of them.

Yay! So glad that the home visit went well! Congratulations! :)
It is strange . It’s like she didn’t want to tell me because she wanted to keep the deposit . When she heard I might keep the bird for the other lady she had to be honest as tell me. I think they just didn’t bother to tell me and probably wanted to keep the deposit . She said I was free to sell the bird if I wanted to,
Then after that she quickly added it died . That’s what was so weird and I couldn’t believe what I had heard!
I’m going to call tomorrow to try to get it straightened out. The whole thing is wrong . What store doesn’t tell you your bird died?
Apparently, it happened yesterday after I visited and the owner was in today earlier, but had to go home sick.
Still , she had all yesterday afternoon or evening whenever it died to tell me and today . I called around 3:00 today .

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
Both birds liked me which was great .
They both saw my children running around and just watched. The rescue people saw and said that was a good sign. I had the Goffin on my shoulder with both my 3 year olds pulling on my hands trying to get me to come with them, the little Goffin just watched from my shoulder calmly . Both birds are really super! The next visit on Monday and Tuesday will tell me a lot if everything is still good with the birds liking me. I’m going to the Goffins home on Tuesday, today I met it at a “ meet and greet” the rescue held in a pet store . I’m curious how it will react to me when I’m at it’s foster home.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
It is strange . It’s like she didn’t want to tell me because she wanted to keep the deposit . When she heard I might keep the bird for the other lady she had to be honest as tell me. I think they just didn’t bother to tell me and probably wanted to keep the deposit . She said I was free to sell the bird if I wanted to,
Then after that she quickly added it died . That’s what was so weird and I couldn’t believe what I had heard!
I’m going to call tomorrow to try to get it straightened out. The whole thing is wrong . What store doesn’t tell you your bird died?
Apparently, it happened yesterday after I visited and the owner was in today earlier, but had to go home sick.
Still , she had all yesterday afternoon or evening whenever it died to tell me and today . I called around 3:00 today .
Either way, I'm so sorry. Whatever the result, it's cruddy of them to not have called you and let you know. What were they going to do when you went to pick up him/her? Or visit? I hope you can get things straightened out.

Both birds liked me which was great .
They both saw my children running around and just watched. The rescue people saw and said that was a good sign. I had the Goffin on my shoulder with both my 3 year olds pulling on my hands trying to get me to come with them, the little Goffin just watched from my shoulder calmly . Both birds are really super! The next visit on Monday and Tuesday will tell me a lot if everything is still good with the birds liking me. I’m going to the Goffins home on Tuesday, today I met it at a “ meet and greet” the rescue held in a pet store . I’m curious how it will react to me when I’m at it’s foster home.
Yay! Good luck! Let us know how it goes!