• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breeder for rose Breasted Cockatoo

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
How do you feel about throwing tennis balls until your arm falls off?
Oh! I would love that. I never seem to have ball chasers.

@Just-passn-thru Your afghans must have been so beautiful! When I was a kid I would look at pictures of them in books and dream of having one. Never saw one in person at that time, just imagined it would be wonderful.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Oh! I would love that. I never seem to have ball chasers.

@Just-passn-thru Your afghans must have been so beautiful! When I was a kid I would look at pictures of them in books and dream of having one. Never saw one in person at that time, just imagined it would be wonderful.
The are elegance in motion , because of their Double jointed hip bones they can turn a on a dime. The breed is compared to how a feline moves. They are mellow couch potatoes lounging around but they are a site to behold to watch them run.
I miss them. They need a place to run, like the beach or meadows without brambles and bushes . It's a nightmare if you have to brush out the twigs and leaves, sticks like velcro in their coat.

Last edited:

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence

That depends entirely on how she raises the bird. How does it wean? More importantly, what foods does she offer at different stages of babyhood? Does she clip the babies? When they feather out, are they included in her family life or kept in a bird room? What kind of enrichment does she provide?

As for the Amazon, call Steve and ask for references of people who own one of his DYHs and ask them about their experiences. The birds have been breeding for several decades, so he must have some references to provide. And he used to sell unweaned, saying that that created the Human-parrot bond. Are you prepared to handfeed? Unless he's changed his practice, you'll have to be prepared to wean the baby.

Most babies regress and want some comfort feedings (especially cockatoos) when they go to their new home.
He does wean them now, but he said I should comfort feed and of course also offer the regular mash and other foods.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
As per his website it seems that he still sells unweaned babies although he waits until they are fledged and feathered before they are sent to their new homes/handed off to their new human family.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
He does wean them now, but he said I should comfort feed and of course also offer the regular mash and other foods.

I recommend that you get references from other clients of his to get a feel for what his birds can be like when they're older.

MisfitHouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
ToriB
I would adopt also but You can try in Menifee, CA, Birds n Paradise. Lori's bird are healthy. If you are in SoCal. There's also Peak and other rescues...

MisfitHouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
ToriB
You can also watch bird stores or avian vets for owner relinquished birds. That's how we got our 2 greys.

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
Thats a great way to get a bird! I didn’t think of a avian vet. I live in Oregon

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You can also watch bird stores or avian vets for owner relinquished birds. That's how we got our 2 greys.
That's a great idea. I adopted my two 'tiels through my vet and almost adopted a Lilac Crowned Amazon from the vet, too.

MisfitHouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
ToriB
Ours get turn-ins all the time. They keep a list. But we got our greys at a local bird store. No longer wanted by owners the store takes them for rehoming, since they can't resell them, they make you buy the cage, food and toys as the rehome fee. It's a win-win.

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
Ours get turn-ins all the time. They keep a list. But we got our greys at a local bird store. No longer wanted by owners the store takes them for rehoming, since they can't resell them, they make you buy the cage, food and toys as the rehome fee. It's a win-win.
That’s fantastic! Our bird store sells the rehomes. You’re lucky!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Which bird store is that?

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
Potentially big news... I wrote a final , frustrated but polite long email to the parrot rescue . I explained my long story from beginning to end and this morning I received a call and a very heartfelt apology for them dropping the ball with me. They know in two weeks the DYHA I have a deposit on will be ready to come home. I am willing to lose my deposit for the right rescue.
They a 25 year old Goffin, 10 year old Maximilian Pionus and a 5 or so year sun conure all fairly good with children.
Thursday imaging the home visit and then hopefully can meet with the different foster parents of the three birds as soon as possible. She was very nice and understanding and really trying to help. After a very lengthy and deep discussion she felt I needed a Cockatoo . She said usually she wouldn’t recommend it, but for me she thinks it would be the best fit. We’ll see if any one bird or two decides it likes me. If not I still have my deposit on my amazon and little sun conure baby I could get too. Wish me luck this next week and prayers that the best bird for my family and myself for a wonderful rescue to strictly choose me. I have been all over the place trying to be open minded about this. I truly want this new bird or birds to have a happy and fulfilling life with me. I made two beautiful sandblasted large manzanita trees this last week . One for my aviary and one for inside my house. Monday I’ll make perches from sandblasted manzanita too.
It’s so much fun! 2E6327F7-9CD6-4A46-A8D5-57C428A59EDA.jpeg 35603D76-313A-48FE-B979-F7D5EDA6C574.jpeg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad the rescue got back to you. Let us know how things go.