• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bourna virus/PDD could use advice

emkiwi

Meeting neighbors
I'm not very confident even in oral medication for the bird, so I just think syringe feeding would be too risky, but if anyone knows any experts in NYC who'd be willing to show me how, let me know. Right not I'm just trying everything I can.

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I'ts surprising what you can do when you have to! I won't bore you with the details but I came threw lead poisoning with one of my birds! It was hell but I did it. I can't tell you the sleepless nights, toweling and etc! Good luck and I hope you can figure out something that will work!

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Massapequa? Are you close to that City?

emkiwi

Meeting neighbors
Thanks, I'm taking it day by day and trying all I can. Massapequa is over an hour away.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm wondering if you are mistaking syringe feeding with Gavage Feeding (inserting the food directly into the crop)? With syringe feeding you insert the tip of the syringe (full of food) into the left side of the mouth to the right side of the mouth and down toward the crop a little. You then slowly eject the food into the back part of the bird's mouth and the bird will generally swallow it because of the position it goes into the mouth.

Here is a video I made of syringe feeding Hank and Jasper their meds, which is exactly how you syringe feed.

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
What a great video!!!!! I am so impressed!!!!!! OMG! You made it look so easy. Thanks for posting. You have a great cooperative baby!

emkiwi

Meeting neighbors
Beautiful macaw. I am referring to syringe feeding because my bird doesn't sit so nice to take his medicine. I did try giving him a hardboiled egg today, and it was the first thing that he really went for since this journey started. So baby steps.

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Great! You just keep trying until you find what works. I had to towel and between emergency care for four days and me 6 weeks medicating with a relapse he hated everyone! But with patience he once again loves his momma! I cried so many times but he made it and it was all worth it! Good luck on this long journey! Like I said if you want at anytime time to talk to Debbie I can make that happen!