• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Bob is drooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerseybella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
dawn
Bob is drooling...Update not good

It is the only way i can discribe it..
a little back story.....Bob got sick in September. a crop infection and a secondary kidney thing going on..He is been back to the vet every other week for blood work since. His last visit on Monday his blood work came back normal. Doc said to keep him on the meds 2 more weeks (2 months total) get another blood test and if all comes back clear we are done.

This morning after he drank his water it was like he vomited of drooled out all the water her drank. He opened his beak and it poured out.
Poops are fine as is appitite.

What is going on

Last edited:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Is everything else staying down? Could he have an obstruction? Can you hold him up to your ear and see if his breathing sounds labored? Sometimes Truely less water drip out of her beak. I would call the vet and ask him/her about it.

Ginger

jerseybella

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
dawn
The office is not open yet....

It was more than letting water drip out:confused:

He complains when I hod him to listen and cant hear over his compaints:(

Everything else seems to be staying down

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
A phone call to the vet will help calm you. Let us know.:hug8:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I agree that contacting your vet would be the best option.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Was this the first time? Could it be that he aspirated water?

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I'm another one for calling the vet BUT see if you can "feel" his crop...is ANYTHING in his crop? Can you "lightly" take your thumb and fore finger and put on each side of where his crop is and "softly" feel anything with your fingers...you don't want to put "pressure" on the crop in case it would "push it up" into his throat...if you find "something" can you distinguish what it could be? seeds/pieces of food or "soft like" mush/water...you could let the vet know what you are feeling if possible...
could be the start of another crop infection not covered by the meds....:hug8:

jerseybella

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
dawn
Still waiting for the office to open....

He has done it 3x now....I think he may be vomiting again.....It very similar to when he first got sick....He has been on antibiotic for 2 months

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Is he shaking his head side to side and stuff coming out? Or is it clear like but on the "condensed/clear side" more than water?

jerseybella

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
dawn
Is he shaking his head side to side and stuff coming out? Or is it clear like but on the "condensed/clear side" more than water?
More like a water but a little thiker. Head shakes slightly after he brings the liquid up but only slightly

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Still waiting for the office to open....

He has done it 3x now....I think he may be vomiting again.....It very similar to when he first got sick....He has been on antibiotic for 2 months
Could he have gotten a fungal infection?

Antibiotics take soo much out on the body, and 2 full months is one heck of a time to be on antibiotics. Were you feeding probiotics along with the antibiotics?

When Opa was on heavy antibiotics for the first 3 weeks, he would act like he wanted to throw up. So my avian vet told me to make sure to feed him some pro biotics and gave me an anti fungal to give him 2xs a day during the antibiotic treatment to prevent fungal infection from occuring. He still acted like he wanted to throw up at times, but not as badly :)

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
sounds like a "crop infection"...Get a hold of the vet ASAP and let him know what is going on...also if you can feel anything in the crop..THIS IS IMPORTANT for the vet to know if he isn't digesting his foods....he might want to do another crop test to find out what is happening...Being on meds that long can bring on other bateria not covered by said meds....:hug8:

jerseybella

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
dawn
:explode:
Nothing open today...I could scream. Got an appointment tomorrow. My husband is going to call the Doc personaly as soon as he gets a chance. They have been speaking on the phone once a week since bob got sick. Maybe he can do something. I talked to the receptionist...Maybe I should have been pushy but I couldnt....Hubby will take care of it I hope

jerseybella

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
dawn
Could he have gotten a fungal infection?

Antibiotics take soo much out on the body, and 2 full months is one heck of a time to be on antibiotics. Were you feeding probiotics along with the antibiotics?

When Opa was on heavy antibiotics for the first 3 weeks, he would act like he wanted to throw up. So my avian vet told me to make sure to feed him some pro biotics and gave me an anti fungal to give him 2xs a day during the antibiotic treatment to prevent fungal infection from occuring. He still acted like he wanted to throw up at times, but not as badly :)
He was on antifungal at first and doc took him off. He is on ciprofloxin every 12 hours

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Has he been given a probiotic to help maintain his good bacteria?

Ginger

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Is just your vet not open or is it any bird vet in your area? I know Leslie takes her birds to U of Penn. Is that close to you?

Ginger

jerseybella

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
dawn
Is just your vet not open or is it any bird vet in your area? I know Leslie takes her birds to U of Penn. Is that close to you?

Ginger
They are open now....Tried to get in but the said there were no openings:mad: My husband put in a call to our Dr. (I spoke with receptionist) Just waiting to hear...

U of Penn is very close if I need to. I would just rather see Dr Dazen if I can cause he has been treating Bob since the the begining

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Another opinion might be in order after this amount of time on meds....I have given meds for 2 months to some of my birds but you usually see vast improvement and not coming back down with something like the same symptoms after this long on meds....
Were you able to feel the crop to see if anything is in it?:hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I agree perhaps another opinion would be a good thing. Keeping Bob in my prayers.

Ginger

Status
Not open for further replies.