• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

biting when perched on hand

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
@Trueblue82 their seems to be negative remarks by @Shinobi on any given opportunity ,everyone has a right to a solution and opinion. However this OP seems to want to overshadow others . My advice to you and anyone when it comes to asking for advice is to gather information and find what works best for you . Nothing is a one size fits all solution. I will post a video later of my birds stepping up and down .this is my approach I am sharing. I am not going to get into yet another thread war with this Op. His intention is to correct everyone who doesn't go along with his ideas.

Last edited:

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne

The bird is biting your hand / arm. Do not offer your arm to the bird. I suggest you research target training & pressure bite training. Also I would be wary of homemade and amateur videos.
I be wary of someone who copies and pastes his advice on anyone who asks for help.

Last edited:

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne

The bird is biting your hand / arm. Do not offer your arm to the bird. I suggest you research target training & pressure bite training. Also I would be wary of homemade and amateur videos.

According to you amateurs built the ark @Shinobi and experts bulut the titanic. Back off!

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
How about we focus on helping the OP and not quoting each other.
That's a good idea, i hope it happens i would like to participate without the fear of being constantly put down and bashed, by folks that are intent on overshadowing and making folks feel insignificant. :angel1:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
@Just-passn-thru and @Shinobi I feel that both of you have made good points. Some birds just aren't comfortable stepping up onto hands but are more comfortable on arms. I had Jayde, and she was *NOT* comfortable with hands or arms! She was most comfortable with shoulders! She had *NO* problem accepting hands for scritches, but stepping up on them? Entirely different concept and quite scary! I worked with her to get her more comfortable with stepping up on arms and hands, but she still preferred shoulders.

For other birds? It doesn't matter what flesh you offer, they'll bite regardless.

Since we are talking about an african grey, he may very well do better with arms over hands because arms may be more steady.

Likewise, it's quite possible that this grey was unintentionally taught to bite, and that's how he knows how to communicate. He was forced to do a behavior he didn't want to do, bites, then gets ignored. I wouldn't doubt that he's feeling rather frustrated and clicker and target training with the use of treats can help to bridge the gap of communication - if done right.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
@Just-passn-thru and @Shinobi I feel that both of you have made good points. Some birds just aren't comfortable stepping up onto hands but are more comfortable on arms. I had Jayde, and she was *NOT* comfortable with hands or arms! She was most comfortable with shoulders! She had *NO* problem accepting hands for scritches, but stepping up on them? Entirely different concept and quite scary! I worked with her to get her more comfortable with stepping up on arms and hands, but she still preferred shoulders.
Thank you for neutralizing this opposition and putting it into perspective . Everyone should be able to share their experiences . People offer-up help as best they know how and should not feel that they have given bad or inadequate advice.(it's common courtesy) As you eloquently brought to light. People seeking advice should be able to gather information from others and pick and choose what works best for them and their bird, without feeling that they must adhere to only one approach.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Likewise, it's quite possible that this grey was unintentionally taught to bite, and that's how he knows how to communicate. He was forced to do a behavior he didn't want to do, bites, then gets ignored. I wouldn't doubt that he's feeling rather frustrated and clicker and target training with the use of treats can help to bridge the gap of communication - if done right.

According to the OP he's just a baby (6 months) so maybe it's a baby that hasn't figured out bite inhibition?

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
First, your grey is still a baby as well as is new in your household. Greys are slow to warm up to their new persons, and my guess is that this will be a passing stage. My grey went through several naughty stages before he finally settled down at the tender age of three.
Perhaps a step up followed by praise plus reward and then returning your grey to his safety stand shortly after will help your grey realize that you're to be trusted. Then you can slowly extend his time on your arm.

One of my macaws used to peck/bite my hand while perched on it. I mistakenly started to say 'Uh Uh! No biting!' while giving him the stink eye. Now he'll say 'Uh Uh' immediately before he'll peck/bite me. It brings him great joy to make that sound!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I have different birds that react differently to hands and arms. So somehow they aren't connected in their minds (I do realize they are connected lol).

My p'let can't stand hands near him but every other body part is ok. One cockatiel will ONLY step onto a hand, the other will NOT step on a hand and will bite fingers. The Pi will let a hand scritch him but only if it is moved slowly and obviously is going to scritch. He will NOT step on a hand but the forearm is good, and any fingers sticking up may get bitten. The young caique steps onto any part of the hand in any fashion but always puts her beak on first as a third hand, so it'd be easy to mistake that as a bite-in-progress which it isn't.

Perhaps a step up followed by praise plus reward and then returning your grey to his safety stand shortly after will help your grey realize that you're to be trusted. Then you can slowly extend his time on your arm.
This sounds very sensible. It's a young bird, so .... slowly build trust.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
hi guys, i just got a grey a few days ago, he is eating well and willing to come out of the cage.

he lets me stroke his head no problem, but if he does perch on my hand/arm he will bite my hand/ar by reaching down.
he has drawn blood.

what does this behaviour mean and how do i deter this?

Just-passn-thru
You have made numerous snide remarks in response to posts of mine on other threads. Yet I did choose ignore it.

To be truthful, I don't like you and your advice is bad.. You have a tendency to avoid answering any questions or comments about your advice. Instead you claim that you're being picked on.

Trueblue 82 actually posted that their bird was biting the hand and arm, and your advice was to not offer the hand just your ARM.

This bird is BITING THE ARM not just the hands. So how exactly is your advice correcting the problem.

Where as I suggested target training and pressure bite training.

Maybe you should consider going back to school and finish your education.

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
I don't recommend offering a forearm. It is better for your bird to step up on to your fingers with your hand open perpendicular to the ground and with your thumb open but parallel to your top index finger. See the picture, the floor would be towards the bottom. IMG_20180421_235146.jpg This way you can then get your bird used to letting you close your thumb on to the birds foot or feet. This is good for stability and to keep your bird from flying of if startled why it is perched on your hand.

The biting issue is a training item that can be modified and stopped in no time at all.