• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

birds flying loose in house

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I have a gcc I love so much and give her all the time out I can.she is very messy with her food and poops a lot, often wet depending on what she ate. What I'm wondering is how all the people who let their birds fly around the house deal with the mess .iused to have a tiel that would go to one place to poop so no worry, but I'm sure my furniture would be ruined with blueberry poo stains and I'd have a fried bird from chewed electric cords if I let her fly around unsupervised. How do you guys deal with this ? Please don't think I'm being critical ,I just wish I could do the same.

Tim

Avenue Veteran
Personally, I never let them out to fly around unsupervised, but yeah, poo. We have a steam cleaner for the upholstery. I try to let blueberry/blackberry pass before they come out. Fortunately Diego does a pretty elaborate poo dance, so I can usually get a tissue underneath him. Petunia just lets fly :shifty:. Our cords in the living room/bird room are mostly covered by furniture. We've minimized what outlets are in use.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
We provide zones/barriers/birdrooms where it's ok to fly and do whatever they want yet contained and safe.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I use curling ribbon to block the hallway to keep my 2 from getting into trouble in the bathroom and bedroom. they are allowed in the living room but not in the kitchen or down the hallways. I have sheets strung across those openings.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Intetesting. What's so scary about curling ribbon? I have a feeling Blu wouldn't be phased by it :bored:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
they don't fly into it and it moves strangely with air currents. it ribbon that you buy at like $tree. once you cut it into strips open your scissors and pull the ribbon across the sharp edge, curls up like corkscrew.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I don't curl mine. It's wrapping paper ribbon. My macaws won't go anywhere near it. ;) Had it up for years. If I take it down they land on the TV, when it's up no one tries.

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
When it comes to the poop, two words: no carpet. And towels, towels over everything. If you saw just my house you would think I'm crazy or a complete slob that can't fold their laundry but in reality I just own a flying fruit-smoothie-poop-making machine.

P.S. No blueberries until 1 hour before bedtime. That way the poop machine is tired and more willing to chill in his cage.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I think they think that it's like spider webs you can get tangle up in it.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
If I write this, someone will make a liar of me, but my birds fly to stands, play gyms, or the java tree to poop. However, for Annie's nightly feeding, I have to put a towel on the couch, and she typically flings some on my sweats, which is my winter "uniform" at home.

She went two days without wanting a feeding, so I thought we were on our way to weaning, but the next night, she clearly needed one and at 3 three ounce Dixie cups full. The next night, she took 1 1/2, and tonight, she took 2. Sigh.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
In the birdroom, which I cannot use this winter, the room is set up for them to be anywhere safely except the television/stand and the wood stove. The birds know when the wood stove is hot they cannot stand on it near the chimney, but can near the edges of the top. They often land on the top of "sun" themselves with the heat off the rest of the top of the stove!

This winter, they are in the living room which has become a no cat zone to the birds' great happiness. I have removed anything they can break or ruin and I have towels and old sheets over the furniture to ward off huge poops and change them weekly at least. I am slowly putting in some gym platforms and landing perches and they are happy. But I do not yet them freee at night as I cannot lock the door into the living room.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
They tend to have 2-3 spots you can rely on them pooping. Everything else I just have a tissue nearby for. I only allow mine unsupervised in their room, which has been bird proofed.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Does the ribbon work for smaller birds too?

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
yuppers it sure does.